Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
DRKnightSS1

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS1 LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Aren't you contradicting youself there?
I fail to see how you are seeing a contradiction in what I stated even with the bolding. A naturally aspirated V8 making similar HP as the TT V6 is clearly the better choice if not just for the sound alone.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Note 2.
DRKnightSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
You said they had similar power, and in the very next sentence you said the Camaro needs the power of a V8. You don't see that as a contradiction?

Also, if you've every had a turbo vehichle then you know you are just one tune away for lots more power. So, if they start out at similar power, then you will get more power per mod buck for the turbo engine.

Finally, when did you even mention sound? V8 sound and a couple of bucks will get you a cup off coffee at Starbucks. You can enjoy that as you watch the tuned TT's tail light disapear into the distance.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #31
DRKnightSS1

Quote:
You said they had similar power, and in the very next sentence you said the Camaro needs the power of a V8. You don't see that as a contradiction?

Also, if you've every had a turbo vehichle then you know you are just one tune away for lots more power. So, if they start out at similar power, then you will get more power per mod buck for the turbo engine.

Finally, when did you even mention sound? V8 sound and a couple of bucks will get you a cup off coffee at Starbucks. You can enjoy that as you watch the tuned TT's tail light disapear into the distance.
Pretty clever coffee story I must admit. It's cute. I have owned a vehicle in the past that had a turbo so I am quite aware of their capabilities. But we aren't talking about aftermarket mods here just factory setup. If I wanted to beat every Joe Shmoe on the road it'd be a V8 forcefed monster not a TT'd V6.

And I was simply stating that the sound factor is just a small reason why a V8 suits a Camaro better or any muscle car for that matter. I've heard plenty of turbocharged V6 Camaros and the sound is like a lawnmower on roids. Not desirable whatsoever.

If I didn't know better I would say you were a V6 owner? Bottom line, GM will never produce a Camaro with that setup, period.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #32
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Irregardless is a word commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795. Most dictionaries list it as "nonstandard" or "incorrect."

-Wikipedia

thank you
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #33
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Oooh, I wanna play!

Non Sequitur: (Latin for It does not follow) is a conversational and literary device, often used for comedic purposes. It is something said that, because of its apparent lack of meaning relative to what preceded it, seems absurd to the point of being humorous or confusing.

- Wikipedia
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #34
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Yea what he said. Its to close to V8 power so it would reduce sales. That said i think it would be cool to see a factory TT V6 under the hood. Maybe they can offer the TT V6 and up the V8 power to 500+ HP maybe LS7 standard. Even though the V6 in mine is awsome we cant have a Camaro lineup without a V8 trying to escape out of the hood.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #35
spyder

Drives: 2010 V6 | M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
It might, but thats only 420hp.....you can get a turbo or SC and have 500 plus right now.

- They call it the black panther.

2010 Camaro LLT (sold)
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2011 Nissan Armada 4WD Platinum
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #36
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea View Post
If the TT in the Camaro did for the vehicle the same thing the TT did for the V6 in the F150 (EcoBoost), it would have my attention. I traded a V8 F150 for my current F150 with an EcoBoost in it, and the EcoBoost blows away the V8 I had. People focus too much on horsepower numbers. Torque is what's so much fun to feel in a vehicle. And with the TT, you can feel a ton of torque at very low RPMs, and the curve is held high for much longer. All you need with the TT is a good tune to wake up even more power.
Which V8? Are you comparing the older 4.6L or 5.4L 2 or 3 valve V8s to the Eco-boost, or the new 5.0L. Because the current 5.0L will blow away the old V8s as well, and has actually been recommended by many over the EcoBoost for people who tow (ie, people who actually use trucks as trucks).

I've driven EcoBoost versions of both the F150 and Explorer, and frankly, I came away as not particularly impressed. Contrary to what many say, I found that they do need to rev just a little to get the turbos spooling, and don't have the same off the line kick way down low as a V8.

Quote:
For the 90%+ who keep their engines stock, NA will get you more power for less money, with better long term durability.

Quote:
In light of that argument, let me ask you a couple questions. Why would a V6 Camaro owner not just buy a V6 Camry or Accord that offer similar performance, but with more practicality and better fuel economy? Why would a Camaro SS buyer not buy a 370Z, which offers similar to better overall performance with better fuel economy? After all, that Camaro body and a couple of bucks will get you the same cup of coffee at Starbucks, right?

If you think only numbers on paper, and not subjective, or emotional, or other pleasure/fun factors matter in the Camaro's segment, you do not understand the segment.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #37
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
In the global market there is a big benefit to using the LF3. Lower taxes in Europe.
That benefits the Europeans, not the Camaro.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #38
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Which V8? Are you comparing the older 4.6L or 5.4L 2 or 3 valve V8s to the Eco-boost, or the new 5.0L. Because the current 5.0L will blow away the old V8s as well, and has actually been recommended by many over the EcoBoost for people who tow (ie, people who actually use trucks as trucks).
Believe you confusing the 6.2 and 5.0. There is absolutely know comparison between the towing ability of the 5.0 and the Ecoboost. Have you not seen the mirad of videos comparing the two? Even towing up a hill the Ecoboost blew the doors of the 5.0. And that was limiting the tow capacity to the max the 5.0 can handle...because the Ecoboost can two so much more.

Quote:
I've driven EcoBoost versions of both the F150 and Explorer, and frankly, I came away as not particularly impressed. Contrary to what many say, I found that they do need to rev just a little to get the turbos spooling, and don't have the same off the line kick way down low as a V8.
Ah, that tired old argument. Thought you said you understood the difference between turbo lag and torque managment when I explained it before, but...

Quote:
For the 90%+ who keep their engines stock, NA will get you more power for less money, with better long term durability.
... you keep stating opinons like this and I realize you really learn nothing. The large number of turbo cars/truck on the road today with 100s of thousands of miles on them be damned, huh?

Quote:
In light of that argument, let me ask you a couple questions. Why would a V6 Camaro owner not just buy a V6 Camry or Accord that offer similar performance, but with more practicality and better fuel economy? Why would a Camaro SS buyer not buy a 370Z, which offers similar to better overall performance with better fuel economy? After all, that Camaro body and a couple of bucks will get you the same cup of coffee at Starbucks, right?

If you think only numbers on paper, and not subjective, or emotional, or other pleasure/fun factors matter in the Camaro's segment, you do not understand the segment.
Actually, I fully get the idea. That's why I thought his comment was so stupid. Go back to his first post and my comment. I simply pointed it looked like he contridicted himself and for some reason he got his feeling hurt. As many do, the have to bring out the old "but mine sounds better" argument. It's a matter of personal preference. I think if you buy a car for the V8 sound then why buy a Camaro? The Coyote engine sounds way better. If you are a GM boy then get the Z06. Sound like what you are saying? Does it have anything to do with him contraticting himself?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #39
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That benefits the Europeans, not the Camaro.
Camaros are inanimate objects, so I don't know if anything benefits them. However, it benefits GM by increasing sales of Camaros. If Ford goes global with an Ecoboost V6 Mustang (there are some rumors to that affect), then it will HURT Camaro sales if they don't have a product that will match performance and not get penalized with extra taxes.

Welcome to Global Economics.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #40
DRKnightSS1

Quote:
I fully get the idea. That's why I thought his comment was so stupid. Go back to his first post and my comment. I simply pointed it looked like he contridicted himself and for some reason he got his feeling hurt. As many do, the have to bring out the old "but mine sounds better" argument. It's a matter of personal preference. I think if you buy a car for the V8 sound then why buy a Camaro? The Coyote engine sounds way better. If you are a GM boy then get the Z06. Sound like what you are saying? Does it have anything to do with him contraticting himself?

It's really funny when people resort to the "he got his feelings hurt" line, guess it's just a last attempt at making oneself feel better. My feelings never got hurt sorry to disappoint you. And I'm not going to keep trying to make you understand what I was saying in my original post. If you can't figure it out then oh well not my problem. As for the sound issue you keep bringing up over and over, I never said that was the main reason I or anyone for that matter buys a V8 over a V6 I merely said it's one SMALL reason as my posts clearly says. Obviously our tastes differ which is fine, but there's no need to beat a dead horse over the subject.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #41
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Ah, that tired old argument. Thought you said you understood the difference between turbo lag and torque managment when I explained it before, but...
Lag, torque management....regardless, the result is the same. Both the 3.5L Ecoboost vehicles I drove felt lazy to me at low RPMs (if driven straight 6 Jeeps that felt like they had more low-end than the EcoBoosts). If the EcoBoost has to be "managed" that much, it makes me question just how durable it really is.

Quote:
... you keep stating opinons like this and I realize you really learn nothing. The large number of turbo cars/truck on the road today with 100s of thousands of miles on them be damned, huh?
If the automakers really are so confident that their turbos are foolproof and will never cause a massive expense down the road for any of their buyers, they should offer a lifetime warranty on the turbo components. Until I get it in writing that I will not be stuck with a several thousand dollar turbo job if I keep the car (AND when they offer the TTV6 for the same money as a current V8) will I be willing to accept it.

Quote:
Actually, I fully get the idea. That's why I thought his comment was so stupid. Go back to his first post and my comment. I simply pointed it looked like he contridicted himself and for some reason he got his feeling hurt. As many do, the have to bring out the old "but mine sounds better" argument. It's a matter of personal preference. I think if you buy a car for the V8 sound then why buy a Camaro? The Coyote engine sounds way better. If you are a GM boy then get the Z06. Sound like what you are saying? Does it have anything to do with him contraticting himself?
You suggested that sound doesn't matter, and that's the part I was responding to. I was merely pointing out that for many of us (not all, but many), it does matter. If it didn't, GM and Ford wouldn't spend time and man hours tuning their exhaust notes, and the aftermarket for exhaust systems wouldn't be so huge.

And you are right that it is a personal preference, and not just for sound, but in terms of power delivery and torque curve characteristics as well. And right now, I think more SS and GT buyers (and throw in R/T buyers for completeness) would prefer a V8 to a TTV6. And I think more would refuse to buy over not being able to buy a V8 than would buy because they could get a TTV6.

I've also said this before, but I have no problem with offering a TTV6 as long as I can still get a V8, AND as long as they don't raise the price of my V8 to market it. That's why I don't really care about the EcoBoost F-150. (I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not calling for Ford to drop the option, either). The V8 is still offered at the same price point, and those who want the EcoBoost can pay the extra $900 for it. It doesn't affect me.

The reason I oppose the possibility of a TTV6 Camaro (or Mustang for that matter) is I fear they won't go about it that same way. All the talk and speculation and specs on known TTV6s suggest it would be under the V8 in the hierarchy, which in my mind is a red flag that not only will the TTV6 be more expensive to buy than the current V8, but any V8 option will end up being priced even about that.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #42

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I certainly hope that V-6 improvements and technology advances are going to be the wave of the future...

IMO, I think we tend to forget the current love affair with these V-8 supposed "muscle-cars" is a phenomenon that I don't think anybody expected to last as long as it has...But the V-8 engine, and all that goes with it, is not the wave of the future, unfortunately...Whatever all this European engine business is all about, it is firmly entrenched in the US already...The big V-8 is the exception, not the rule...

The variety of available V-8 series engines that GM has been or currently is making, is getting smaller and smaller....The amount of technology and research that was necessary to put into the up-coming LT-1 V-8s is astounding....I think the day will come when what they can do and are willing to do with the V-8 will be here much sooner than later...

....The V-6 will for sure become a performance engine of choice. I would much rather see that, than see the internal-combustion gasoline engine go away altogether....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation