Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Zeta platform a one hit wonder under the new Camaro?

Looks as if the 6th gen Camaro won't be riding on a Zeta platform....

Quote:
G8, Camaro to be the last Zeta-based cars sold in U.S.

General Motors’ rear-wheel drive revolution was put on hold a couple of years ago, but it looks as though the revolution is now officially dead. The upcoming Chevrolet Camaro will be the last car to ride on GM’s Zeta platform in the U.S., with future derivatives likely cancelled.

GM’s Zeta platform underpins the Pontiac G8 and the upcoming Chevy Camaro, but that will be the last we see of the Zeta architecture – in any form — in the U.S. Before the recent financial crisis hit, GM was planning to combine its Zeta and Sigma architectures into a new Alpha platform, giving the company a base for next-generation small and mid-size rear-drivers. However, that plan is now essentially dead.

“The strategy we had a few years ago of basically deriving a whole sweeping global portfolio off the Australian Zeta architecture … frankly, we have had to abandon that dream,” GM vice chairman Bob Lutz told GoAuto.

GM’s Alpha platform was earmarked to underpin several future models, including the Cadillac CTS sedan and Pontiac Solstice. The Alpha platform would have likely underpinned a smaller Cadillac sedan as well.

But now that the Alpha program has been cancelled, the future of those models remains up in the air. The CTS will likely continue on its aging Sigma platform, but the Pontiac Solstice and smaller Cadillac model could be scrapped altogether.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Lutz also spoke of a "replacement for the Camaro, and the CTS"...I wouldn't worry about Camaro, specifically....they can't just cancel all their RWD cars at the end of their life-cycle. That would leave a gaping, big hole in their lineup...not unlike a gunshot would to the chest.:(

They'll have something, imo. Especially if their future plans through 2012 pull through.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
not unlike a gunshot would to the chest.:(
If that gun were a .50 cal rifle.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I'm not worried about GM canceling their RWD cars. My concern more revolves around the next gen Camaro pricing having to accomodate the expense of creating yet another RWD platform rather than just improving the existing architecture at a lower cost.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Get 'em while they're hot!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I'm not worried about GM canceling their RWD cars. My concern more revolves around the next gen Camaro pricing having to accomodate the expense of creating yet another RWD platform rather than just improving the existing architecture at a lower cost.
There are many theories floating around right now as to what the new Global RWD platform will be based off of. It might be a newer, lighter, smaller Zeta. Or it could be a totally fresh, new platform. But in either event; it will be designed to be a Global platform. And that means superior quality and adaptability for a good value in terms of development $$$. It'll be used across a variety of Brands, and cars...thus spreading costs. Exaclty how Zeta is being used now, in fact. Because of this, when the Camaro gets it's platform swapped, I wouldn't expect any price hikes beyond the normal Model Year refresh increases. But that's just my opinion. -- from the above article, it can be assumed that none of this will happen for a good 5+ years.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Holden's started working on a next-gen Commodore, so there should be a next-gen G8 as well. Who knows when Zeta will die out.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
wait a second.

it says this:
Quote:
Before the recent financial crisis hit, GM was planning to combine its Zeta and Sigma architectures into a new Alpha platform, giving the company a base for next-generation small and mid-size rear-drivers. However, that plan is now essentially dead.

it doesnt say that they wont still be using the Zeta, just that their plans of combining it with the Sigma frame to make the Alpha frame are dead.

it does say this:
Quote:
The upcoming Chevrolet Camaro will be the last car to ride on GM’s Zeta platform in the U.S., with future derivatives likely cancelled.
but that doesnt mean that GM wont continue to use the Zeta for upcoming cars. just that they wont be customizing the Zeta platform into the Alpha.

you guys gotta read between the lines.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Where did you get that from? There are a lot of inaccuracies there. Alpha is the small RWD platform for the Cadillac 3 series fighter. I heard talk that it would be somewhat of a combination of Zeta and Kappa, but I heard nothing about Sigma having anything to do with Alpha. Then there were plans to merge the STS and DTS replacements into one Zeta vehicle, but those plans are delayed for now. Sounds like this article, wherever it comes from, got that all jumbled.

Lets be reasonable about this: Cadillac is going global. It is mounting a direct assault on the German luxury brands, and to do that it needs 3-series and 7-series size cars, including coupes and convertibles. Cadillac is one of GM's core brands and, most would argue, its strongest. It will have competitive products and that means various size RWD cars. However, I think the goal of having a number of RWD cars in the lower brands is probably on hold for now, until we get these CAFE, alternative fuels, gas price, environmental regulations, and other powertrain-related concerns taken care of. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Camaro and Corvette remain as the only non-Cadillac RWD GM cars, and two RWD cars to a basic brand is pretty good. If Pontiac really does become a niche brand, we may even see some Aussie imports come over. And once the car really is taken out of the environmental equation, the performance wars are back on. You can bet your last dollar on it.

As for the next Camaro, I'd love to see it be about the size of the RX-8, with an emphasis on handling and high-tech, smaller, but very powerful engines. Small DI V6s and V8s should do the trick nicely.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
Sanouk

Drives: all US
General Motors News

G8, Camaro to be the last Zeta-based cars sold in U.S

The upcoming Chevrolet Camaro will be the last car to ride on GM’s Zeta platform in the U.S., with future derivatives likely canceled, meaning that General Motors’ promising full-size rear-drive revolution has come to a dramatic close. The Australian-developed Zeta platform was intended to be the automaker’s global rear-drive platform, but recent changes have forced the company to abandon the performance-oriented platform.

> http://www.leftlanenews.com
Old 01-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
if you're gonna flame him for reposting some pretty recent news, you should at least show him the thread already in place.

to the OP - thanks for the update, but somebody did beat ya to it. no big deal...
here's the thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11830
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #13
Sanouk

Drives: all US
Sorry
Old 01-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #14
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!