Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Congrats on getting it back. Looks like you already did an initial alignment right away and then you're going back to have it adjusted after the springs and bushings resettle?

Looking good.

My steering hasn't gotten stiffer, but with the sways it is now more direct. Majority of my driving is in tour and sport modes. I save track mode for special occasions/locations. I did try out the crazy camber last night to see how it felt before getting the alignment. I think I may ask them to keep some of that extra camber in the fronts. The steering rate, flat handling and that camber really made it feel more neutral in its' steering. Way better than the understeer and roll I felt with it stock. But I won't test launching on this setup until the alignment is done. I don't want to spin on the insides of my rear tires. Get those upright and then I'll find out how worth it this is.

Last edited by JaxChris; 08-25-2016 at 03:58 PM.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks.

Yeah, I had the shop do an alignment... but it wasn't too bad (it wasn't out of spec even, just not perfect) and they'll hook me up with the one after re-indexing I can see why some choose not to do one right away if they'll have to pay twice.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
crankaholic

I measured from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender: 14.5" in the rear at both wheels, the passenger side front is 14.75" and the driver side is 15"... I'll call Eibach and ask what could cause this, maybe it's an install or indexing issue.

Edit: the driveway is pretty uneven... I'll measure in a more flat spot first

Low side pics

Last edited by crankaholic; 11-29-2017 at 09:55 PM.
crankaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #18
A_Work_Of_Art

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
@ OP, thanks for being one of the first ones on the forum to install these and providing some input
Old 08-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
crankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Work_Of_Art View Post
@ OP, thanks for being one of the first ones on the forum to install these and providing some input
Yeah, not many MRC cars on lowering springs out there... just trying to share my experience. Hope it helps someone
Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 AM   #20
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
If you're getting similar measurements on a flat and level surface then your front springs might not be settled in yet. There are a couple bushings in the front that can be clocked as well right after weight is put back on the car.

From what I've read, the best tips for measuring is to get car on a flat surface, confirm level with a level between the wheels on the sides and front/rear, then take a weighted string and hang from fender arch, move toward front or rear until the string dissects the center of the wheel, that is your measurement point, lower weight to the ground, hold string at top center of arch, then measure the string. People that just take a tape measure are not always grabbing the true center.

Side note: I'm very surprised they said your alignment wasn't out of spec. I got visible chamber and toe from my install. Since the Eibach's are rated for more drop, I would expect yours would have been visible to the naked eye as well.

Oh... and time for you to update your sig photo. You don't drive a 4x4 anymore. =)
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #21
crankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
If you're getting similar measurements on a flat and level surface then your front springs might not be settled in yet. There are a couple bushings in the front that can be clocked as well right after weight is put back on the car.

From what I've read, the best tips for measuring is to get car on a flat surface, confirm level with a level between the wheels on the sides and front/rear, then take a weighted string and hang from fender arch, move toward front or rear until the string dissects the center of the wheel, that is your measurement point, lower weight to the ground, hold string at top center of arch, then measure the string. People that just take a tape measure are not always grabbing the true center.

Side note: I'm very surprised they said your alignment wasn't out of spec. I got visible chamber and toe from my install. Since the Eibach's are rated for more drop, I would expect yours would have been visible to the naked eye as well.

Oh... and time for you to update your sig photo. You don't drive a 4x4 anymore. =)
I'll give them time to settle and measure with a string on a level alignment rack in a hundred miles or so. I'll post the numbers when I do. I did do it with a tape measure, but I measured a few times and got within 1/8 of the results (15")... I wouldn't have even said anything if the difference was under 1/4 inch until I did a proper measurement on a level surface, but there's definitely a bit more space between wheel and fender on the driver's side.

Yeah I was a bit surprised myself. My wheels were aligned right between street and track spec. I guess the guys checked against the track spec and the only thing that was really out there was front caster (didn't know it was adjustable on the 6th gen), but they brought everything back to the setup I had before the drop.

Hahaha - I can't believe these cars sit so high from the factory...

Last edited by crankaholic; 08-26-2016 at 09:22 AM.
crankaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #22
crankaholic

I got a chance to drive the car around for a bit. I'm very happy with the ride/handling balance, it's exactly was I was looking for. The car is a bit firmer without being bouncy or harsh in any way... and tour mode is still plenty soft. The benefits of the lowered CG are pretty apparent during cornering and direction changes as well It's an noticeable improvement in how the car looks and drives.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #23
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
I got a chance to drive the car around for a bit. I'm very happy with the ride/handling balance, it's exactly was I was looking for. The car is a bit firmer without being bouncy or harsh in any way... and tour mode is still plenty soft. The benefits of the lowered CG are pretty apparent during cornering and direction changes as well It's an noticeable improvement in how the car looks and drives.
There we go thanks! The instant direction changes are what I like best. That initial steering input that used to be wasted as body roll is now virtually gone. Lower roll center, higher spring rate, and larger anti-roll bars all contribute! Mine will be done this weekend.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:30 AM   #24
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Still waiting on eibach to produce the springs for the v6 they prototyped on my car
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #25
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Have you bottomed out on anything yet?
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
crankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Have you bottomed out on anything yet?
No. I actually ran over one of those created-by-trucks-stopping humps in the road as soon as I was out of the shop at about 45mph... the springs compressed up to their max rate and just pushed the body up; stock springs compressed more over that bump and made a slight clanking sound (not sure if they bottomed out or the rear coils touched). I really wouldn't want to run over anything bigger than that bump at speed in my car
Old 08-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #27
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
No. I actually ran over one of those created-by-trucks-stopping humps in the road as soon as I was out of the shop at about 45mph... the springs compressed up to their max rate and just pushed the body up; stock springs compressed more over that bump and made a slight clanking sound (not sure if they bottomed out or the rear coils touched). I really wouldn't want to run over anything bigger than that bump at speed in my car
That's good too hear.

My big concern with lowering is scraping going into my garage. It's pretty steep and my last lowered car just barely scraped.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #28
crankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
That's good too hear.

My big concern with lowering is scraping going into my garage. It's pretty steep and my last lowered car just barely scraped.
The 6th gen rides pretty high stock, an inch drop isn't as low as on something that's already low from the factory; like an M4.