LT4, same as from the ZL1, CTS-v, and Z06 50 15.58%
'super LT4' with a bigger blower or turbos making 700+ 31 9.66%
Other (please specify) 10 3.12%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #141

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Z/28 could just end up being a stripped ZL1. Take everything out, throw on big brakes, big tires and tons of downforce.

Door 1 or Door 2. Pick your poison.

Creature comforts or Track Beast.
I think this is about the only way they can realistically go at this point...That was the impression I got from the Ring videos...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #142
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
A friend of mine has been telling me awhile now that he thinks it's going to end up being like the above. Something like a ZL1 w/ Z07 style mods or a ZL1-R or such and it won't be an entirely different model. Just the stripped down track-rat variant of ZL1.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #143
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
So then don't call it Z/28. Call it ZL1/1LE or something.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #144
HumanWiki

I don't much care what they call it. I'd just like to know more about it and what it's got in various places. They can call it a B4C pkg for all I care.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #145
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I don't much care what they call it. I'd just like to know more about it and what it's got in various places. They can call it a B4C pkg for all I care.
I'm with you who cares what they call it. If it's a stripped down ZL-1 with a track aero package and they call it a Z/28 fine. IDC and it doesn't effect any of us in reality.
Show me the car already I'm excited about it.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #146
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
I'm with you who cares what they call it. If it's a stripped down ZL-1 with a track aero package and they call it a Z/29 fine. IDC and it doesn't effect any of in reality.
Show me the car already I'm excited about it.

Me waiting on details
Me how I should be waiting on details
Old 08-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #147
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
They need to turbocharge it and power up that corner carver.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #148
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
LT5. Bigger than 6.2l or, more likely DOHC.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #149
leres

Drives: 2000 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
LT5. Bigger than 6.2l or, more likely DOHC.
A DOHC seems unlikey given the history of the LS engine platform:

Quote:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/cover...iring-harness/

The Gen III V-8 got the green light on one of the first sunny days of May, 1992. On the expanse of pavement called Black Lake, deep within the secretive General Motors Milford Proving Grounds outside Detroit, a group of GM leaders participated in a blind comparison of pairs of vehicles to decide the future of GM Powertrain engine development. Their conclusions would change the course of history for General Motors Powertrain, its customers, and the automobile industry.

Why this test? At the time, the automotive business was ferociously arguing the merits of dual-overhead-cam engines versus pushrod engines. This hands-on comparison was to put the debate to a seat-of-the-pants experience. Luckily for automotive enthusiasts, the GM execs who thrashed two identical looking black Corvettes enjoyed the thrust of the one powered by a pushrod V-8 over the high-rpm power of the Vette with a prototype DOHC engine. As a result, GM Powertrain Engineering designed and built the pushrod Gen III V-8 often known as the LS1. With it, GM pulled the decades-old legacy of the small-block from the ashes and created an entirely new future.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #150
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I don't think they will drop a new engine in a camaro first. It would have been in the Grand Sport that just dropped.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #151
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
I don't think they will drop a new engine in a camaro first. It would have been in the Grand Sport that just dropped.
If GM wants it to move beyond being "just a Camaro", then that should no longer be the case.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #152
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
So, the rumor (some would say known fact) is that Caddy has a DOHC TT V8 they have just wrapped up testing on over the summer. I can't remember where I saw it but (I think it was Autoblog) I remember them sayomg it would make sense for Caddy to engineer the next hi-pro motor for the halo Camaro because of the shared platform allows crossover to Camaro allowing for larger production run to lower costs of per unit. Obviously it did not make the ZL1 but.....maybe the Z/28? Interesting possibility anyway.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #153
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
So, the rumor (some would say known fact) is that Caddy has a DOHC TT V8 they have just wrapped up testing on over the summer. I can't remember where I saw it but (I think it was Autoblog) I remember them sayomg it would make sense for Caddy to engineer the next hi-pro motor for the halo Camaro because of the shared platform allows crossover to Camaro allowing for larger production run to lower costs of per unit. Obviously it did not make the ZL1 but.....maybe the Z/28? Interesting possibility anyway.
The Camaro does not share a platform with the CT6 -the car that that engine is for. Camaro is Alpha, CT6 is Omega ... can't get any further apart than that in the Greek alphabet. I've also heard that its not intended as a performance engine, but rather just simply a 'top of the line' engine. Think less 'rip snortin high output monster' and more 'abundant power and torque for any situation'

On top of that, there is a push from the head of the brand for more engine exclusivity at Cadillac. That fits with whats been happening, as the last 3 400+ hp turbocharged engines from GM have been Cadillac exclusive (the 3.6L LF3 & LF4, and the 3.0L LGW).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #154
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Camaro does not share a platform with the CT6 -the car that that engine is for. Camaro is Alpha, CT6 is Omega ... can't get any further apart than that in the Greek alphabet. I've also heard that its not intended as a performance engine, but rather just simply a 'top of the line' engine. Think less 'rip snortin high output monster' and more 'abundant power and torque for any situation'

On top of that, there is a push from the head of the brand for more engine exclusivity at Cadillac. That fits with whats been happening, as the last 3 400+ hp turbocharged engines from GM have been Cadillac exclusive (the 3.6L LF3 & LF4, and the 3.0L LGW).
Your disagreement is with the blogger not me. But in his defense, GM owns both platforms so there is nothing to say that they can't test that motor on the alpha just as easy as the omega and while they are on opposite ends of the Greek alphabet, a TTv8 could easily fit on the alpha chassis based on modes we already seen being done on the SS with turbos.

Anyway, while I won't argue the idea that Caddy has a few motors that only they use, I think brand exclusivity is silly as GM owns them all and you are not going to not buy a caddy because the motor is available in a Camaro IMHO. People were saying the LT4 would not be in the Camaro or that it would be detuned. The Camaro would never debut a technology yet we have the forthcoming A10. As the old commercial used to say, this is not your grandfather's GM and the fact remains that the wider the application of the motor the higher the production #'s and the lower cost per unit. So I think exclusivity is going to be a thing of the past as it just does not make market sense.

We know that Corvette is going to need something for the ZORA and S/C'ing it ain't gong to work for any number or reason BUT turbos sure as heck will and you can't tell me that if GM has a TT DOHC V8 in the stable that they are not going to have at least one hot tune for it and leverage the hell out of it. BMW and Mercedes both have TT motors that turn high HP/TORQUE/RPMS in their high end track focused cars. BMW's new Alpina TT 4.4L V8 pushes 600hp/590tq and redlines @ 7200 RPM. That sounds like a Z/28 motor to me. Small displacement, hi-revving, hi-hp, and great torque. If GM has an equivalent motor in their caddy stable, why recreate the wheel?

Complete speculation and I have ZERO intel other than a random blog article but it did get me thinking that the ZORA changes the game for the Vette in that it will need a turbo motor similar tot the Ford GT. Granted the GT is a TTv6 but there is no way that the LF3 in its current makeup is going to get 600hp out of it like Ford did with their TT Eco V6. To my knowledge there is nothing out there that would fit the bill for a mid-engine Vette or even a ZR1. So if Caddy has something that Vette could borrow, why not Camaro?
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote