Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Harbor Freight aluminum low clearance rapid pump jack works for me. I pair it with 3 ton jack stands. I think I paid 59 for jack and 20 for the stand set. Both had coupons at the time

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I'm a little late to the party, but these jacks are absolutely fabulous, however, they are a little on the pricey side...$$$$$

http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/warrior_jacks.html

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #17
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I'm a little late to the party, but these jacks are absolutely fabulous, however, they are a little on the pricey side...$$$$$

http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/warrior_jacks.html

-Scott
Aren't those German?

I've seen a similarly designed one like that; different name too and pricy like this one.

Yeah you are a little late :P but better late than never!

BTW I picked up a low profile 3 ton floor jack from harbor freight tools for $78 (normally $92) and somehow most of their 2 tons either the same brand or different brands that were also low profile were at least $140+ before the sale and still ended up being more than $86 during the sale.

I know 3 tons is more than enough for the C5; but I also have an F150 so I needed the extra weight rating.

I like how the puck on the jack you linked are square/rectangle never seen that before.
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
Pcschwenke

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Rally Yellow
I searched for a low profile jack a few weeks ago. The one I ended up with was an aluminum race jack sold by JEGS. They were $25.00 off with free shipping. Before ordering, I checked the warranty. JEGS has a 3 year, which is better than most. It's very nice and has more than enough lifting force. Two tons of weight on a jack is huge. The weight saving is nice also!
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #19
GRNWTHENV

Drives: 2011 Synergy 1LT RS
Just drive onto a couple of 2x12s so you can use your regular jack.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #20
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
I have an aluminum jack from Sears. It has been very trouble free. Make sure you can get replacement parts otherwise they are just throw aways.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #21
bonesrn27

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have small alum. and 4 ton steel.both work great. the cheap harborfreight alum is great if not using it daily,mines 5 yrs old.hard to beat for 60$
bonesrn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #22
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
I looked back through your post and you said something about your vehicles having scissor jacks. By all means don't try to work under a car using a scissor jack. I have seen many of those jacks twist and the car fall. A good jack will last you a very long time, also applies to jack stands.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #23
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Omega low-profile.

Not cheapies, but will suffice and are trusted jacks. As long as you're not trying to lift the entire car, a 2 ton unit should be ok. But with a truck, you may want to up to a 3 ton unit, but that's optional.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9613_200329613

this one is badass for us lowriders!

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
I have the harbor freight jack works great. Bought it because I take it when I haul the boat. A lot lighter. Don't hardly use my steel one anymore

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #25
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNWTHENV View Post
Just drive onto a couple of 2x12s so you can use your regular jack.
Um, no...

And I didn't have a jack before this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
I have an aluminum jack from Sears. It has been very trouble free. Make sure you can get replacement parts otherwise they are just throw aways.
Why? Most things are throw aways anyway... I'd rather fix the car not the jack! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesrn27 View Post
I have small alum. and 4 ton steel.both work great. the cheap harborfreight alum is great if not using it daily,mines 5 yrs old.hard to beat for 60$
4 ton but not low profile right? If its low profile, that's HARD to find for a 4T I could only find a low profile 3T which barely fits under my C5 as I have to put the jack all the way under at the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
I looked back through your post and you said something about your vehicles having scissor jacks. By all means don't try to work under a car using a scissor jack. I have seen many of those jacks twist and the car fall. A good jack will last you a very long time, also applies to jack stands.
I agree I'd never use scissor jacks (I'm not sure if I mentioned that? But if I did, I was just pointing out the car comes with one); Scissor jacks are designed for tire changes not for lifting up the entire front or rear ends.

Now that I've replied to the important replies

2 things I need to know now:

I tried jacking up the car at the center but it didn't seem like it was safe, the wheels wouldn't come off the ground and I was concerned that the car would have too much lift and possibly slip off the jack?

I also got 6T jack stands instead of the 3T stands because I wanted to be able to have multi purpose tools rather than tools for one specific vehicle (a set of 3T jack stands cannot be used to hold a F150 up IMO it barely meets the weight requirements (same for the jack, but I'm only lifting up each side on the F150 not the whole front end as the jack really needs to be a 4T for that IMO so I compromised and got a 3T jack its more than enough for the C5 but barely for the F150.

My other issue is I think my 6T jack stands are too tall; is that possible? I want to use the 6T as I'd get more floor clearance under the C5 and then the 6Ts are also just the right height for my F150 which is taller than 4x2 F150s due to the 4x4 drivetrain.

Last edited by mynetdude; 09-09-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Edited cuz part of my copy/paste got cut off since I "timed out"
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #26
Dooder
Founder of Cocoa Studios™

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread. I was wondering about the clearance of the HF 3 ton (in the link), if anybody has it.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #27
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread. I was wondering about the clearance of the HF 3 ton (in the link), if anybody has it.
Fits under my Camaro, but hits the small plastic air dam slightly in the front of the car.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:51 AM   #28
Dooder
Founder of Cocoa Studios™

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Fits under my Camaro, but hits the small plastic air dam slightly in the front of the car.
Thanks I was wondering about that. That is the reason I sold my previous floor jack. Guess I'll go with the 2 ton jack then.

Tags
wrong subforum