Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #29
Rottypiper

Drives: 2015 Camaro Zl1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
My thoughts on this....

This is where it gets dicey, I came from a 2010 SS/RS, Thinking OMFG this ZL1 is going to be a rocket ship, That's not the case, I describe it as the ZL1 has "longer legs" over my stock 2010. Sure the ZL1 does EVERYTHING better but its really not that fast stock. I go to many parking lot meet ups and talk to people and I spoke to quite a few guys that have owned ZL1's and they same the thing, "great car but I got bored, wish it was faster" Easy to say just spend a few bucks and MOD it but people don't want the hassles and lose the warranty.
-Bobby
Rottypiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #30
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmsf3 View Post
After watching that Nurburgring video on the chevy site, I'd almost wait 10 months if I knew I could get a '17 for 45ish.
Don't count on it.
You can bank on a sub $50k '17 ZL1 within a year as sure as the sun rises.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #31
AJensen383

Drives: 2014-ZL1-M6-CRT, 68 camaro SS 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
My thoughts on this....
The 20% off new ones does a number on the used ones.

This is where it gets dicey, I came from a 2010 SS/RS, Thinking OMFG this ZL1 is going to be a rocket ship, That's not the case, I describe it as the ZL1 has "longer legs" over my stock 2010. Sure the ZL1 does EVERYTHING better but its really not that fast stock. I go to many parking lot meet ups and talk to people and I spoke to quite a few guys that have owned ZL1's and they same the thing, "great car but I got bored, wish it was faster" Easy to say just spend a few bucks and MOD it but people don't want the hassles and lose the warranty.
-Bobby
Im not sure what your definition of "fast" is??..In what regards?... I feel in stock form the ZL1 is incredibly fast for something that is right from the showroom and designed and engineered to go 100,000 miles..For just street driving , I really don't see the need for more power, as you cant use all of the power anyway on stock tires ... On the track, maybe that's a different story, but don't forget these cars are 4200lbs as well.. I just think these cars are so well engineered that using the power it has it just doesn't "feel" like it has as much power since its delivered so smoothly...
AJensen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #32
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Yes, it very much depends on what your definition of fast is. To me, the ZL1 is not fast when it's stock. Some of you may know that my first post here was asking if my ZL1 was broken or not because I thought it was slower than I expected. Turned out, it was normal. Are they great cars? Yep. But are they fast in my opinion? Not when they're stock. I sometimes joke and call my car the pig because it is insanely heavy if you think about it. Now I know that I can make my car a monster with pulleys and a nice cam, but I'd rather not try to make a 4200 pound GT convertible go like the Vette that I want, because it never will. That's where I'm coming from.

Love our ZL1s, but they're no rocket ship.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #33
CoveyZL1

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 "SIM" M6 650rwhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Yes, it very much depends on what your definition of fast is. To me, the ZL1 is not fast when it's stock. Some of you may know that my first post here was asking if my ZL1 was broken or not because I thought it was slower than I expected. Turned out, it was normal. Are they great cars? Yep. But are they fast in my opinion? Not when they're stock. I sometimes joke and call my car the pig because it is insanely heavy if you think about it. Now I know that I can make my car a monster with pulleys and a nice cam, but I'd rather not try to make a 4200 pound GT convertible go like the Vette that I want, because it never will. That's where I'm coming from.

Love our ZL1s, but they're no rocket ship.
Agreed but I do however think that dollar for dollar, you get quite a bang for your buck... on the used market at a mere $39k, what else can truly compete with a stock package that ran the Ring @ 7:41? I cant think of anything. Could it be lighter, definitely!!! But with a lil research, patience, and money these things can really wake up!!! Love my Z but quickly got bit by the "need more power" bug.

Also, you could almost bet that a Vette insurance will be double what the Z is. I traded in a 2008 Charger SRT8 on the Z and my insurance actually went down $30 per month... quite a pleasant surprise. Lol, thought they had the wrong vehicle at first, but did not want to dig too far into it.
Moroso Catch Can
, Forgestar F14 Super Deep Concave Rims, OEM Z/28 Ashen Grey Spoiler, Black BowTies, Tuned By Proxses Tuning
CoveyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #34
AJensen383

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveyZL1 View Post
Agreed but I do however think that dollar for dollar, you get quite a bang for your buck... on the used market at a mere $39k, what else can truly compete with a stock package that ran the Ring @ 7:41? I cant think of anything. Could it be lighter, definitely!!! But with a lil research, patience, and money these things can really wake up!!! Love my Z but quickly got bit by the "need more power" bug.
EXACTLY...

That's why im not understanding in what terms are they saying its not "fast".....Drag racing?? Road racing?? Seat of the pants feel?? Factory stock ran the ring at 7:41...pretty fast to me.... Factory stock can run the 1/4 mile in high 11 second range...pretty damn fast for a 4200lb car right from the showroom..When was the last time you could buy a car right from the dealer that could do both of those things? So to me, yeah the car is fast bone stock from the factory..Now when I first drove mine, did I feel like it should have more power???...Sure I did.,Was I blown away by it?? Not really, but I still think its pretty fast.

Now if we could drop 500lbs off these things....things would be a bit different..

Im not saying that we cant get bored with the power it has, or get a bug to have more.....
Old 12-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #35
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Relax dude, it's ok. I stated my opinion, you have yours and I have mine, no sense in disagreeing with mine, and I won't disagree with yours. Like I said, to me, the ZL1 is not that fast. In 2012 when it came out or better yet in 2009 when the CTS-V came out (Pretty much the same car), it was extremely fast. But in this day and age where Hellcats and GT500s make more power stock then ours do when we pulley them, they're not that fast. Nobody was arguing value either.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #36
AJensen383

Quote:
Relax dude, it's ok. I stated my opinion, you have yours and I have mine, no sense in disagreeing with mine, and I won't disagree with yours. Like I said, to me, the ZL1 is not that fast. In 2012 when it came out or better yet in 2009 when the CTS-V came out (Pretty much the same car), it was extremely fast. But in this day and age where Hellcats and GT500s make more power stock then ours do when we pulley them, they're not that fast. Nobody was arguing value either.
Its cool...Im not trying argue, just trying to understand in what context of "fast" you guys are talking about...like compared to what.. that's all..no argument intended

BTW I do agree with you... I grew up drag racing, and low 12s/ high 11s for a 580hp car isn't really all that fast, hell the '17 ZL1 isn't even that fast in a drag race, with GM posting numbers around 11.40s or so...650HP in my first gen is good for 10.20s....but my car is set up more to drag race.

Last edited by AJensen383; 12-14-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #37
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJensen383 View Post
Its cool...Im not trying argue, just trying to understand in what context of "fast" you guys are talking about...like compared to what.. that's all..no argument intended

BTW I do agree with you... I grew up drag racing, and low 12s/ high 11s for a 580hp car isn't really all that fast, hell the '17 ZL1 isn't even that fast in a drag race, with GM posting numbers around 11.40s or so...650HP in my first gen is good for 10.20s....but my car is set up more to drag race.
I'm talking fast in terms of the C7 Z06s (Stock and pulleyed), C6 ZR1s (780 rwhp), 750 awhp GTR, even a pulleyed GT500 that was putting out like 700rwhp, and more that I've driven. These (for the most part) are cars that weigh up to 800 pounds less and have hundreds of extra HP than a stock ZL1 so yes it's unfair, yes it sounds like I'm expecting too much, but in reality, I didn't expect it out of my ZL1, I'm just saying that compared to what I'm used to, it's a bit sluggish to say the least.

Look at it this way...the ZR1 has all the stuff the ZL1 does and more. Forged internals, bigger blower (Better for aftermarket), better fueling and oiling systems, tougher drive train, carbon ceramic brakes, and it's 3350 pounds, nearly 900 pounds lighter than my Vert I believe. With a LPE 710 kit, consisting of supercharger snout, mild upper pulley swap, and air intake, coupled with headers and exhaust to keep the flow, and you're at an insanely reliable (Practically factory) 640ish rwhp. This is already fast enough for anything you could ever need, it would beat a 700-800 rwhp muscle car (Camaro, Hellcat, or Mustang) and is still tame and perfectly streetable. THAT is what I love about Vettes right there. Now can we push the same numbers as the LS9 relatively easily? Yep. But the weight is a killer. Does this come at a cost? Yep. But not nearly as bad as it was when both cars were new.

Aren't we lucky we're with GM that actually makes a great muscle car and a great sports car, and either have the ability to trounce most performance cars on the road.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #38
AJensen383

Quote:
I'm talking fast in terms of the C7 Z06s (Stock and pulleyed), C6 ZR1s (780 rwhp), 750 awhp GTR, even a pulleyed GT500 that was putting out like 700rwhp, and more that I've driven. These (for the most part) are cars that weigh up to 800 pounds less and have hundreds of extra HP than a stock ZL1 so yes it's unfair, yes it sounds like I'm expecting too much, but in reality, I didn't expect it out of my ZL1, I'm just saying that compared to what I'm used to, it's a bit sluggish to say the least.

Look at it this way...the ZR1 has all the stuff the ZL1 does and more. Forged internals, bigger blower (Better for aftermarket), better fueling and oiling systems, tougher drive train, carbon ceramic brakes, and it's 3350 pounds, nearly 900 pounds lighter than my Vert I believe. With a LPE 710 kit, consisting of supercharger snout, mild upper pulley swap, and air intake, coupled with headers and exhaust to keep the flow, and you're at an insanely reliable (Practically factory) 640ish rwhp. This is already fast enough for anything you could ever need, it would beat a 700-800 rwhp muscle car (Camaro, Hellcat, or Mustang) and is still tame and perfectly streetable. THAT is what I love about Vettes right there. Now can we push the same numbers as the LS9 relatively easily? Yep. But the weight is a killer. Does this come at a cost? Yep. But not nearly as bad as it was when both cars were new.

Aren't we lucky we're with GM that actually makes a great muscle car and a great sports car, and either have the ability to trounce most performance cars on the road.
No arguement here!... I agree 100%...I wish we could drop weight off these ZL1's easily

All in all though our zl1s are a great car

Last edited by AJensen383; 12-14-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #39
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONMAD510 View Post
I think it is one of 3 things.
1) Bought more than they can afford.
2) The scared the hell out of them.
3) They bought it for weekend cruises and garage queens.
I drive mine daily. I bought the car to drive and enjoy it. IMHO I would buy the low mileage cars and MOD it. Personally i think the Gen 5 looks better anyways.
I have a 12 with 2100 mi. I love the car but don't have much time to drive it. Spend most of my time in the summer boating, in the winter the car is in storage along side a few other cars that I don't have time to use either.
I really don't think that many people can't afford them, there not that much.
There fast but not so fast that people wouldn't want it.
So i guess it comes down to #3, garage queens. Sad but true.
That being said I can't wait to get my Gen 6 ZL1. I'm going to wait a year or two when there under invoice. That will make number 5 of cars that I love owning but hardly ever use.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #40
CoveyZL1

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 "SIM" M6 650rwhp
Quote:

Touche'... damn hellcats...
Moroso Catch Can
, Forgestar F14 Super Deep Concave Rims, OEM Z/28 Ashen Grey Spoiler, Black BowTies, Tuned By Proxses Tuning
CoveyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #41
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveyZL1 View Post
Touche'... damn hellcats...
I know...They piss me off...

And I'm pissed at Chevy that they didn't beat or get close to 707. I know that the 6th ZL1 is faster than a Hellcat due to fine tuning and weight but it would be nice if we could win the HP war for a model year at least ;(

We usually end up beating them but only because of our details like transmissions, suspension, brakes. Straight line, we're usually the bottom of the pack unless we're modified. (Model year for model year as of 2010-present is what I'm talking about, not the 60s and 70s.)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #42
AJensen383

I wondered and was confused about the same thing....It seems like since the beginning of time every time a manufacturer would come out with the big dog, the next year or so another manufacturer would 1 up it...and so on and so on... They still do it with the trucks, so why cant the sports cars.... Although I have to admit Dodge did kind of hit it out of the park making a 707hp for the general public to get...even in a 4 door.....
2014- Crystal Red-ZL1 #1601, M6, Recaro, sunroof, Nav-stock-SOLD
1968 Camaro SS Clone- 496 BBC, Legend 5speed, 12 bolt
1970 Nova SS- 383 SBC 588hp, 200-4r, 12 bolt