Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: Prius
Exclamation Do You Think Auctioned Cars Are A Good Deal

My dad has a friend that can get him a car from a auction and apparently it saves money. My dad also wants a camaro. I don't know much about auctions neither does he. Isn't an auction were dealers buy cars for their lots? Do you guys know how much you would save on a car auction? Is it worth it?

Bumble.Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It depends on how cheap you can get it. You could get a good deal. The only issue is you don't know much history on the car unless it's been documented.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
If the price is right go for it. Some auctions you are unable to start the car, or get hardly any details on it. Could have been a impounded car or something, who knows how those drug dealers treated it.... Usually if a dealer gets a used car thats a couple years old they will just put it on the lot, no need to go to auction (they send older cars they cant sell to auction). At least thats what I heard and have seen, could be different in other places...
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble.Bee View Post
My dad has a friend that can get him a car from a auction and apparently it saves money. My dad also wants a camaro. I don't know much about auctions neither does he. Isn't an auction were dealers buy cars for their lots? Do you guys know how much you would save on a car auction? Is it worth it?

there's 2 types of auctions, private and public. the private auctions are only for people with dealers licenses. public auctions are for anyone.

with any auction, it's hit and miss. public auctions typically buy their cars from private auctions who typically acquire their cars from trade ins at dealerships. they then bring them back, look them over, and get them in shape to be sold, then sell them.. the problem is, because they want to make as much money off each car as possible, they put as little money into them as they can get away with. that means pretty much only fixing immediate problems, and using the cheapest parts possible. in addition to that, they are almost always sold "as is" with a very limited 30 day warranty.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Auctions are kinda like going to Las Vegas... sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: Prius
Ok thanks. Do you think they have 2012 camaros at auctions? Or even any of the special editions?
Bumble.Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
jd10013

Quote:
Ok thanks. Do you think they have 2012 camaros at auctions? Or even any of the special editions?
no. auctions get almost all of their cars from dealership trade in. when you trade your 10 yr old Honda civic in the dealer in turn sells it to an auto auction. the dealerships typically only keep 5-10% of the trade in's they get, and they only keep the very best. if that civic you traded was 3 yrs old and in great condition then they would keep it. so any 2012 camaro a dealer accepted as a trade in they would sell on their used lot. they wouldn't send it to an auction.

the only chance you'd have of seeing so new a car in an auction would possibly be a bank repo or something like that. but those are so few and far between you would be lucky to ever see one, and more than likely it would end up at a private auction for people with dealer licenses anyway.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Every auction is different. The biggest, as others have mentioned previously, is private vs. public auctions. Private (dealers/ licensed only, basically) are where the GOOD deals can be found. I attended a PUBLIC auction a while back, and watched the filthy unwashed (who apparently thought, collectively, that "This is an auction, so no matter what, I am getting a great deal!"), as they reached that "bidding frenzy." Of the cars that I knew something about, they sold for about three times actual Blue Book value.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
MiracleAces

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS Coupe
Remember - most vehicles are at an auction for a reason and generally not a positive one. The only vehicles we consider buying at an auction are 'off lease' vehicles. Otherwise dealers have multiple wholesalers that they can sell their unwanted trade-ins through. Auctions are generally the last choice for dealers to sell their cars because of the ridiculous fees and shipping charges involved. With a wholesaler there is neither. So I say it again - there is a reason those vehicles are at the auction.

"Being persistant and never giving up may not always get the job done, but it just may annoy someone else enough to make it worth your while."
MiracleAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
You have to watch for flood damaged cars from the storm in the northeast last year. They may be trying to dump them.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleAces View Post
Remember - most vehicles are at an auction for a reason and generally not a positive one. The only vehicles we consider buying at an auction are 'off lease' vehicles. Otherwise dealers have multiple wholesalers that they can sell their unwanted trade-ins through. Auctions are generally the last choice for dealers to sell their cars because of the ridiculous fees and shipping charges involved. With a wholesaler there is neither. So I say it again - there is a reason those vehicles are at the auction.
usually auctions set up around the dealerships. most lease vehicles and low to mid mileage fleet vehicles go to the private auctions. that's where carmax gets a lot of their vehicles.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
jameslloyd285

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, 2012, 3.6 AT 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
usually auctions set up around the dealerships. most lease vehicles and low to mid mileage fleet vehicles go to the private auctions. that's where carmax gets a lot of their vehicles.
I bought my Camaro from this car auction https://abetter.bid/en/car-finder/ty...t/model-camaro and I was lucky to get it cheap. It's actualy a gambling and you should always inspect vehicles before buying.
jameslloyd285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
jameslloyd285

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, 2012, 3.6 AT 2LT
Wow seems liked i bumped an old thread. Maybe someone will also share some good online car auctions in US?
jameslloyd285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #14
ZZZTOPZZZ

Drives: 2013 L99 2SS Vert
Quote:
Find a dealer who regularly attends private auctions. Tell him what you want and what you are willing to pay. In my area, most private auctions deal with the later model cars. Banks and other lending institutions are also a good source for repossessed cars, and they tend to let local private auctions dispose of their repo's.