Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Idk man when I floor it I can't even move my head from my headrest.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
I have an LS3 and my father has an L99. The throttle feels much different between both cars, it's why I could never buy the L99. I always feel like I need to really push hard on his pedal to get anywhere (from a dead stop especially), when my pedal and response feel a lot better in the LS3. Seems just to be something you have to live with.

Of course, with more miles and with mods, it will feel better.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Many modern cars have non-linear throttle blade movement. In other words, you give it 10% of throttle pedal movement, but the butterfly opens 20%. This and/or the low gearing is used to make some cars feel more responsive to less pedal movement.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Do you feel any difference with the traction control off?
It shouldn't be intrusive unless the wheels are slipping.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
There are a number of things to consider here. I'm unsure how old you are but back in the day when you purchased a "muscle car" off the lot, the beast was 100% mechanical. Springs and metal rods were used to open up the carbs. This gave you instant access to all of the power the car had to offer. I still remember burying my foot into my 1970 GTX 440 six pack on the way home from the dealer. My God, talk about neck breaking.

Today, while the horse power and torque numbers are back were they were in the late 60s, technology has stepped in to change how these new cars ride and perform. Computers dole out torque and horsepower in a much more smooth and civilized fashion. You just don't get the "seat of your pants neck breaking" ride of the past. Some say the new refinements make the cars much more pleasurable to drive. I happen to think that this is a load of sh... but I digress.

The point is, the car wont come to life until about 7,000 miles are on the clock. As others have said, GM has said that the power band on these cars was set above 3500 RPM so that the car could be tamely driven around town. Either get used to it or accept that you have to dump thousands into the car in order to make it run like you feel it should.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
If you are keeping it in "D"rive it starts in 2nd gear. Putting it in "S"port it will start in 1st gear. Starting in 1st will make all the difference in the world. Also that V8 will out pull those 6's on the highway ... 60-? runs are way cool in the V8.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
I've mostly owned V6/I6 cars that were much more lightweight (G35, BMW, etc) and a 2LT V6 Camaro, but this is my first experience with a V8. As my SS is still being broken in, I haven't really run the car too hard, but I do feel that I should be getting more out of it compared to my 2LT and other 6 cylinder cars I've owned. I especially feel that I am not getting enough throttle/power at low RPMs when going from a red light, etc. I haven't taken the car to a track or dyno, but I did take it the dealership and they said their diagnostics showed no problems. I was worried that my ECM might have switched to the lower octane table because my car felt rather sluggish after a fillup at Krogers with 93 Octane (now I am using Shell gas). I tried a fuse pull earlier but it didn't seem to do anything, I have no idea if the dealership really checked the ECM table like I asked.

Also, I purchased the Range V8 to eliminate AFM, which did improve on the hesitation I sometimes felt when cruising on the freeway and trying to give the car more power. Another item I have ordered is a Vmax Ported throttle body - do you think this will help with my disappointment with the response at lower RPMs?

With cars like my G35, all I had to do was slightly step on the accelerator and it would really get going, while I feel like I really have to push on the accelerator for the SS to achieve the same effect. Any suggestions, my car currently has around 1000 miles on it.

First of all, cant rely on feel (i.e. the feeling in your ass on the seat) when comparing cars to another car. There are too many variables.

Get in a 79 camaro and floor it, the whole thing is made out of sheet metal, no insulation, you will feel every vibration, hear every sound and "feel" like you are going much faster, the front end will kick up, etc.

Our cars are much more refined, and put the power to the ground more efficiently, and so many things go into the car that stop you from feeling/experiencing that kick.

The car will be different after its fully broken in, and possibly after the fuse pull.

ONE huge thing people put to much stock in, is how far down you have to push the gas before you get a response. THIS IS MEANINGLESS.

The proted throttle bodies, and some of those "chips", just make it so the throttle opens more with the pedal traveling less.

You dont want this, it would be better to have a smoother curve for the throttle opening and closing. Since this is controlled by fly by wire, its very easy to change the ratio with tuning, which is what the "chips" do.

Many people have said the ported throttle body alone will not help anything, and have dyno results to back it up. You need a different intake, and intake manifold for the throttle body to make a difference, and even then its not huge without forced induction.

Trust me, the car is fast, break it in, do the fuse pull, use premium, do your first oil change, put the car in sport mode with the trans if its an auto, and competitive mode with the stabilitrak and its definitely fun.

Get some exhaust so you can hear it!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Or if all else ceases to amaze you, drop in a supercharger. You WILL feel the kick in the ass!
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSX View Post
VMAX Ported TB!
this. also do a fuse pull and if you are driving an l99 buy a range AFM delete
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #24
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
It picks up really hard around 3500 rpm and up. Our car is a bit heavy but once the v8 growls on that point you'll feel the torque
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #25
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
First of all, cant rely on feel (i.e. the feeling in your ass on the seat) when comparing cars to another car. There are too many variables.

Get in a 79 camaro and floor it, the whole thing is made out of sheet metal, no insulation, you will feel every vibration, hear every sound and "feel" like you are going much faster, the front end will kick up, etc.

Our cars are much more refined, and put the power to the ground more efficiently, and so many things go into the car that stop you from feeling/experiencing that kick.

The car will be different after its fully broken in, and possibly after the fuse pull.

ONE huge thing people put to much stock in, is how far down you have to push the gas before you get a response. THIS IS MEANINGLESS.

The proted throttle bodies, and some of those "chips", just make it so the throttle opens more with the pedal traveling less.

You dont want this, it would be better to have a smoother curve for the throttle opening and closing. Since this is controlled by fly by wire, its very easy to change the ratio with tuning, which is what the "chips" do.

Many people have said the ported throttle body alone will not help anything, and have dyno results to back it up. You need a different intake, and intake manifold for the throttle body to make a difference, and even then its not huge without forced induction.

Trust me, the car is fast, break it in, do the fuse pull, use premium, do your first oil change, put the car in sport mode with the trans if its an auto, and competitive mode with the stabilitrak and its definitely fun.

Get some exhaust so you can hear it!
What he said! All valid points.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Or if all else ceases to amaze you, drop in a supercharger. You WILL feel the kick in the ass!
THIS!
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Lots of good posts above. I just wanted to add that I felt the same way when I got the car. The go pedal just doesn't seem very sensitive, and it seems like it take a lot of movement to get a little result. I also drive a Jeep, and it's throttle response from a stop actually felt better than the Camaro. It's possible GM designed it this way to increase driveability, otherwise a lot of people would probably be doing burnouts every time they tapped the gas.

Don't worry, there's a lot you can do. Each of my mods seemed to increase throttle response a bit more. Start with a cold air intake and maybe a Vmax throttle body. I bet you'll feel a positive change. Like someone mentioned, a 10% change in throttle position might no necessarily mean a 10% change in blade position. Don't be afraid to get on the pedal; once you get to the right RPM range, you'll get that throw-your-head-back feeling.

If you really wanna go nuts, put in some shorter gears. The 3.70s are great on the L99

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
I think I understand what the OP is dissapointed in...the sluggish reponse to the gas pedal. It disappoints me too that in a manual car you give a quick half pedal push in and out and nothing happens. I too wanted instant throttle, if I didn't I would have bought the automatic. I have found that the car acts more "mechanical" or natural when driven with the TC turned off...yeah, I know "you'll shoot your eye out kid"
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote