Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #43
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Don't know what was going on today but I saw 5 accidents within 2 miles of my house.... It is just plain scary out there any more.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #44
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its a myth that hands free calling/texting is safer than 'hands on'. The problem isn't whats in your hands so much as what you're thinking about. When you're talking to someone on a phone, or composing a text (either by typing or dictation) you are thinking about that instead of driving. With a hands free device, you might be looking at the road in front of you instead of your phone, but you're not paying attention to the road. The brain basically goes on autopilot and you ignore everything thats going on around you. Traffic lights, car doors opening, pedestrians, cars switching lanes, traffic piling up behind you, brake lights in front of you, street signs ... it all falls to the wayside if you are focusing on your phone when you're driving.
Sure, handsfree isn't as safe as not using the phone at all, but to say it's a myth that handsfree is safer than having the phone in your hand is absolute nonsense. Show me some data to back up your claim. Handsfree may have your attention divided, but hands on has your attention divided AND you aren't looking at the road. Handsfree is essentially having a conversation, hands on is typing, reading, etc. Are we going to make it illegal to talk to passengers while driving too? My girlfriend's MB has some nice bluetooth features. The difference between her having a conversation with me in person and using her bluetooth can pretty much boil down to the part where she says, "call ______" after pressing the phone button on her steering wheel. From that point on it is just like me sitting in the passenger seat.

During the actual call, sure they're probably about the same. When non-hands free is dialing though there will be a huge difference. Saying, "call Jimmy" has to be safer than looking away from the road for 10 seconds to dial a number or send a text.

Last edited by trademaster; 04-24-2015 at 08:36 PM.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #45
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Have you seen the Chevy commercial showing how you can "text" a pre-typed phrase to a person who sent you a text? You choose the response from a list that shows up on the car's touch screen. I think it is stupid to have to use the touch screen since the car has Bluetooth. Wouldn't it be easier to say "Send reply I will call you back" or something.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #46
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its a myth that hands free calling/texting is safer than 'hands on'. The problem isn't whats in your hands so much as what you're thinking about. When you're talking to someone on a phone, or composing a text (either by typing or dictation) you are thinking about that instead of driving. With a hands free device, you might be looking at the road in front of you instead of your phone, but you're not paying attention to the road. The brain basically goes on autopilot and you ignore everything thats going on around you. Traffic lights, car doors opening, pedestrians, cars switching lanes, traffic piling up behind you, brake lights in front of you, street signs ... it all falls to the wayside if you are focusing on your phone when you're driving.
I disagree. Do you have a source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I would have hated to see how these people would get along without a cell phone at all, we did it for over 100 years do why are they so important now?
Does this mean that you are over a hundred years old? :-P
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #47
MrIanB

Drives: 2015 Red Rock Camaro 1LT RS
What did people do before cell phones when driving?? Smh! It's illegal in Austin Texas to have phone up for texting or talking as of January 2015 but it is not being enforced by Apd. It's a shame,methinks of all the revenue collected, decrease in accidents, injuries and fatalities.

Ian B
MrIanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #48
MrIanB

Drives: 2015 Red Rock Camaro 1LT RS
What did people do for phone calls in car before cell phones??? Smh!

Ian B
MrIanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #49
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Cell phone is off when I drive, the laws need to be enforced, plain and simple. for that matter doing anything other than driving when your behind the wheel should be against the law in my book. Putting on make-up, eating, you name it. when one of these schmucks are in front of me I would like to drag them out of the car and smack them up beside the head!!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #50
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Watched a woman blow through a red light, slid to a halt in the middle of the intersection, and proceeded when all of the other traffic cleared. At the next light, she was still texting and didn't go at the green until I honked my horn. Another kid was texting away, head down, when I thought I would have a little fun. Revved the engine a little and eased forward, the kid never looked up and just took off, right through the red light. I could have killed the poor kid screwing around, I learned my lesson, but I bet he didn't learn his.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #51
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIanB View Post
What did people do before cell phones when driving?? Smh! It's illegal in Austin Texas to have phone up for texting or talking as of January 2015 but it is not being enforced by Apd. It's a shame,methinks of all the revenue collected, decrease in accidents, injuries and fatalities.

Ian B

In my business, it is important that I do not miss calls... but I have a hands-free device in my hear that operates on voice commands. I can just say, "Answer call," and it does and I don't have to use my hands at all, or look away from the road.

You are in Cedar Park, which is Williamson County where there is no cell phone law yet. The law is in Austin (Travis County), at least at the moment. I will say that the last time I flew to San Diego, I was amazed that nobody on the road was using their phone. It must be working in California (?).
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #52
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
Have you seen the Chevy commercial showing how you can "text" a pre-typed phrase to a person who sent you a text? You choose the response from a list that shows up on the car's touch screen. I think it is stupid to have to use the touch screen since the car has Bluetooth. Wouldn't it be easier to say "Send reply I will call you back" or something.
I can use the voice commands on my phone through the Bluetooth on my Spark. That includes sending text messages by voice recognition. I was surprised how well it works.