Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-23-2023, 06:17 PM   #1
Hyronike

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Bizarre starting issues - Any ideas?

I will try to explain..... Drove my car for two hours, stopped for some fast food, car was off for 15 minutes, when I tried to start it....
1. I pushed the clutch in and pressed the start button but the car was completely dead. No dash lights lit up.
2. As I released the clutch the dash lights lit up like normal.
3. Pushed in the clutch ans pressed the start button again and the dash lights went black and my seat moved back just like I turned the car off.

The starter never clicked and the motor did not turn over during this series of events. I did this a dozen times and the same series of events occurred.

The next day I arranged to have it towed. Tried to start before the tow truck came with the same results.

Tried one last time before pulling it on to the tow truck an the same 3 steps occurred however about 5 seconds after step 3 the engine fired and started up. The dash lit up and it now starts normal.

The battery is 1 year old.

Any thoughts on this bizarre series of events? I am now hesitant to drive anywhere thinkng it won't start. I would greatly appreciate some advice.
Hyronike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:24 PM   #2
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Could be heat soaked starter. My 2016 had that same issue & I added another grounding cable in the engine compartment. That worked for a couple weeks, then it started doing the same thing again.

The heat soaked started is kinda common. When it's hot, it takes more juice to push the charge to the started. So a lot of people have put an extra grounding cable in and/or replaced the started & this has worked for many.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:08 PM   #3
Hyronike

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Last summer when the original battery died I added the extra ground cable as an extra precaution after reading about that on this forum.
Hyronike is offline   Reply With Quote