Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Anyway to check timing Chain with sound?

Almost 53k on my Feb. 2011 built 2011 1LT. Runs great but with all the TC failures on these cars I'm not sure I trust it long term since Chevy won't man up with a recall or extend the engine warranties. My question is...is there a way to check timing chain by listening to the engine with the naked ear or mechanics stethoscope that will indicate possible upcoming failure?. Your answer will determine the future of my car.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
I am curious as well because every time I get an engine code now (I am at 51k miles with a engine that eats a quart of oil every 2 weeks) I'm scared its something expensive like the timing belt. Come to think of it, is a timing belt something that usually gets replaced when a mechanic drops a used engine in your car?
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
The timing chains have been random.
Change oil frequently, don't go by the OLM and you should be OK.

You can remove the valve covers and check for stretch, but that would be if you are making a slapping noise while running.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
The timing chains have been random.
Change oil frequently, don't go by the OLM and you should be OK.

You can remove the valve covers and check for stretch, but that would be if you are making a slapping noise while running.
Some are adding oil a few times every few months it seems so that in itself should keep the oil fresh, yet hear the TC's are still failing in some. I wonder just how many have made it to 100, 150k miles with no TC issues.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
I'm at 100,500 miles and have been worried for years. I keep my oil just above the top hash mark on the dipstick and change it at 50% on the OLM or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. I also check my oil level every couple of days and use full synthetic 5-30. Plus I never drive my car until the coolant temp is above 160, in the Winter I have to auto-start it 3 times.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Some are adding oil a few times every few months it seems so that in itself should keep the oil fresh, yet hear the TC's are still failing in some. I wonder just how many have made it to 100, 150k miles with no TC issues.
PieNsky got over 100k in Texas and they failed.