Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #281
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Which is what the vast majority of owners do!

Did I call some of you idiots, yep. If you think it is OK that a BRAND NEW car grinds on every 2-3 high load shift, you are in fact an idiot in my eyes. Once again, this happened the very first time the car was under the circumstances, which once again, can only happen on a track (due to speed limits) legally.

Let me change this argument, now the problem is a grind every time you go to put it in first gear at idle..every time. It happened at the stop sign leaving the dealer, would you turn around and take the car in and demand it be fixed? I'll bet every single one of you would. ALL OF YOU. So why is mine any different? Just because it only happens under track conditions is irrelevant, it's not happening BECAUSE of the track, just at it, because my job depends on not braking traffic laws.
What you said about the grinding opportunities only happening at the track is not true. Most interstates have a 70 MPH speed limit. I do not think it is possible to hit 70 mph in first gear, so there are countless opportunities to perform red-line shifts without breaking any laws. And as I mentioned before, your in the 80 MPH range when you perform a redline 2 - 3 shift, so still not that big of a deal on an interstate that has plenty of people doing well over 80 on it. Your only problem was taking a car (most likely not even broke in) to a track before you even got comfortable with it. You then beat your chest to everyone you could about being a track guy, including your dealer. Then, and this is just my guess, you took your Billy Bad Ass attitude into the dealer and demanded service on your track car, and guess what, they said no. They have the backing of a little part of your manual called the warranty. This whole purchase is littered with bad decisions made by you. If were looking for an idiot (which is what you called some of us), might I suggest finding the nearest mirror. Now, what I truly feel bad about is I think there is something wrong with your car. If things happened the way you say they did, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt, then this grinding should have happened when you did your first big shift in your car (in a location not at the track). If that had happened, I would imagine that GM would be looking at this in a different light. I hope things work out great for you, but as it stands, my guess is you have a hurt transmission and because of how this was handled, your going to have to foot the bill to get it fixed. I do not believe this would have gone down any different if any other car or manufacturer were involved.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #282
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS

This is from a 2014 Camaro Warranty Guide. It is the same book that comes in all Chevrolet models, from the Sonic to the Corvette. The word "racing" is a very gray area. If OP is just driving around the track fast because it's illegal to on the streets, I don't think that would be considered racing. As I said before, the dealer is who decides the repair. I've recommended that he find another dealer, tell them the problem he is having, and leave the race track part out. There are a lot of people that do 2nd gear or even 3rd gear pulls to red line on the street, there isn't anything that says that his will void your warranty. OP, you may need to bite the bullet and take a tech or a service advisor for a ride and show them what you are experiencing if they can't duplicate it. As a service advisor, I know where you are coming from, and if you truly think you are not abusing the car, then you have every right to try to get this car fixed. Even more so if you're under the 12 month or 12,000 mile ware warranty.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #283
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
GMCS agreed to have an engineer ride with me at some dock location around me, then just reneged for no reason and out came the "abuse" axe....

This is why I get pissy, I have just stated no less than 3 times that I CANNOT GET A SPEEDING TICKET, I WILL BE FIRED. So trust me, I am not losing my cushy 6 figure mon-fri gig over whipping my dick out on the freeway under ANY circumstances. I have not even done a burn out...nothing. I save all of my commute aggression for the track. period.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #284
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So you replaced the clutch, added the second reservoir, and the Tick line? Or something else?

I had plenty of clutch problems too. I gave up on the stock stuff. I also understand the stock master cylinder has problems that cannot be resolved. Not sure why.

I think both Ford and Chevy are washing their hands on the drive train warranty once they know a car has been tracked. I think other manufacturers do the same. They build these cars, highlight the trackabiity, then we buy them. But we are not allowed to track.

The clutch is a weak link on this car. The axles and diff too. LOL.
Almost like the GTR launch control!
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #285
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
GMCS agreed to have an engineer ride with me at some dock location around me, then just reneged for no reason and out came the "abuse" axe....

This is why I get pissy, I have just stated no less than 3 times that I CANNOT GET A SPEEDING TICKET, I WILL BE FIRED. So trust me, I am not losing my cushy 6 figure mon-fri gig over whipping my dick out on the freeway under ANY circumstances. I have not even done a burn out...nothing. I save all of my commute aggression for the track. period.
Will it do it 1 -2 at redline? No chance of a ticket there.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #286
backeddy
Banned

Nope only does it 2-3...
Old 02-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #287
backeddy
Banned

Quote:
The clutch is a weak link on this car. The axles and diff too. LOL.
That was a good note, I have seen lots of camaros on the track, I have only seen 2 break: broken axles on 2 identical cars BOTH of them had put 391 gears in an otherwise stock ss, both broke axles on turn 10. I have seen a ZL1 hit the wall after overpowering the rear end while trying to exit a turn early though.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #288
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
Just FYI, the ZL1 does not have a dual clutch system. It has a twin-disk clutch, which is much different than a dual clutch system.

Also, it will not mate to an LS3 as the LSA has an 8-bolt crank whereas the LS3 has a 6 bolt crank, so that's not even an option.
lol, well I tired.......I'm out!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #289
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
That's a good question, but I feel the issue is most likely the master cylinder or the slave, it only happens under high heat/high stress in my case. I flush and fill with 600 before every track event and have always had the issue. The problem is that many owners have the same exact issue under street conditions, some with only 1200 miles on the car. Mine is not to the point of not having a clutch pedal fail to return, but I was trying to be proactive and fix it before then. I was upfront an honest with GM about the issue and they ended up using that against me. I guess you have to lie to get service from them...Sad.

All of you idiots saying "pay to play" etc. I get that, but not when it happened THE VERY FIRST HIGH SPEED SHIFT, do you get that? The first one...not the 10th or the 30th, The VERY FIRST ONE. That is not MY PROBLEM, that is a DESIGN PROBLEM. Period.
I don't believe calling people an idiot is getting people on your side or being respectful but on another note............ This is literally the very first time you stated in this entire thread that grind happened the very first time you ever had the car do a 2-3 redline shift.. Even your original opening posts starts out.... that you have 11,000 miles on the car and 3 track days then you go on to say (paraphrasing) you keep the car maintained by changing fluids and then have 75 laps or so on Laguna Seca.

That is probably is why, actually that is why you are getting the pay to play responses.

If this problem happened the first time on your very first track day like you are now saying, that brings us all to another question. Why would you continue the track day and do another 2 track days on top of that? I can understand a few laps (2-3 max) to make sure it happens 100% of the time. But you have 2 other track days on top of that before getting this checked out?

I'm just trying to understand this now that this happened the very first 2-3 redline shift......because before it seemed that this was a track related issue caused by tracking, not you figured this out the very first time at a track.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #290
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
lol, well I tired.......I'm out!
ZR1s have a twin disk that can be used in a 1LE
Old 02-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #291
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I personally don't take the OPs "idiot" comments to heart, he is very frustrated and I can understand why. For those questioning that all GM warranties are the same all I can tell you is go Google it, there are lots of pages from The GM boys explaing why they cover the all the performance Z's accross the line up. It still a pay to play, but in my case, I just paid more up front.

OP, my two cents. If you can isolate the issue to the clutch then as suggested just revamp it with aftermarket parts and go enjoy your car. life is to short and the stress this is causing you can't be good for you or your life. If it's any consolation I've spent more than the repair to fix yours just on what I consider minimal race maintanence this past year from tracking my car. Two diff services, trans service, multiple synth. LOFs, brake flushes. My car is only 1 year old.

Im getting ready for spring racing and I'm doing more LOfs, brake pads, steel brake lines with more flushing, and looking at adding more oil cooling for longer track days and a seperate clutch master cyl. Its the way the game is played but I knew this going into it even with a ZL1. I'm also building a '67 Pro-Tour and I'll be into six figures when it rolls down the road. Racing isnt cheap and if you want to run fast it cost $$$. Thats also why I do a lot of AutoX it's cheap and easy on the car.

Good luck with your car, I hope you find a solution you can live with because you should be enjoying that fine handling machine and not stressing like you have been. No blame implied, just a fact that life is too short to not be having fun.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #292
backeddy
Banned

Quote:
I don't believe calling people an idiot is getting people on your side or being respectful but on another note............ This is literally the very first time you stated in this entire thread that grind happened the very first time you ever had the car do a 2-3 redline shift.. Even your original opening posts starts out.... that you have 11,000 miles on the car and 3 track days then you go on to say (paraphrasing) you keep the car maintained by changing fluids and then have 75 laps or so on Laguna Seca.

That is probably is why, actually that is why you are getting the pay to play responses.

If this problem happened the first time on your very first track day like you are now saying, that brings us all to another question. Why would you continue the track day and do another 2 track days on top of that? I can understand a few laps (2-3 max) to make sure it happens 100% of the time. But you have 2 other track days on top of that before getting this checked out?

I'm just trying to understand this now that this happened the very first 2-3 redline shift......because before it seemed that this was a track related issue caused by tracking, not you figured this out the very first time at a track.
I only took to the "idiot" comment due to repeated "pay to play" comments from people who seem to realize that if it was THEIR new car, in the same situation, would expect exactly what i do. That's all...nothing more, nothing less.

as for the problem:
It took that long to get the "oh by the way, the engineer is not coming" phase. I can afford to fix it if it grenades, so I have no problem continuing to track it BUT I still think it is bad customer service from GM, as they never even bothered to look at it. You can search the boards and find another car that just ran into a telephone pole and although they were not smart for how it happened, they do mention that this exact issue (soft clutch system 3rd gear) might have been a part of the cause. I can assure you GM WILL be involved in that one as I can already see the litigation fishing net cast out. I can also assure you (IMO) that there will be NDA's issued to the claimant as part of any settlement as GM does not want to fix 10's of 1000's clutches.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #293
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
I only took to the "idiot" comment due to repeated "pay to play" comments from people who seem to realize that if it was THEIR new car, in the same situation, would expect exactly what i do. That's all...nothing more, nothing less.

as for the problem:
It took that long to get the "oh by the way, the engineer is not coming" phase. I can afford to fix it if it grenades, so I have no problem continuing to track it BUT I still think it is bad customer service from GM, as they never even bothered to look at it. You can search the boards and find another car that just ran into a telephone pole and although they were not smart for how it happened, they do mention that this exact issue (soft clutch system 3rd gear) might have been a part of the cause. I can assure you GM WILL be involved in that one as I can already see the litigation fishing net cast out. I can also assure you (IMO) that there will be NDA's issued to the claimant as part of any settlement as GM does not want to fix 10's of 1000's clutches.
Makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up, like I said on page 4, I hope you get a solution your happy with.

It seems to be a trend with GM service centers, not GM itself to have crap customer service. I am now having problems with my service center for just stupid stuff (plastic tag lamp housing breaking). I am told one thing by a service rep and then called and told another thing by the same guy.....also this particular service rep cant even schedule an appointment for the correct time. Stuff like that and this is what gives GM a bad rep.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #294
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Sounds like a class action thing......If they fail to respond, my brother in law is a VERY high priced lawyer in San Fransisco. No attempt to fix a car listed as "track ready" is not going to bode well for a giant corporation here in CA, where they just awarded $186 million because "my boss yelled at me while I was pregnant"
California needs to chill out with the lawyers.