Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #71
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I agree completely but $200000 for inflation? I seriously doubt itll be that much lol. Look at how thigns are going, no way what you buy for $40k will cost $200000 in 30-40 yrs. If thats the case, look for half the nation to be homeless living under an overpass near you.
Not with the way the Fed is printing money these days. Let's hope you won't need $200000 to buy bread in the next 10 years. Look at the history of some European nations.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #72
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Just MO:

I didn't buy this car for it to just sit in hopes that one day it will be collectable. I bought it to drive it and have fun with it. If you drive it you experience the joy, speed, and performance that is Camaro. If it just sits in your garage, you have a $40,000 hunk of metal, rubber and plastic, nice to look at but ultimately you're missing out on the whole point of why you would even 'collect' this car.

If you are fulfilling the dream of someone you love, such as a great-grandson or what have you, fine (cross your fingers he likes classic cars, and don't fool yourself that he automatically will.) But otherwise, deprive myself of all this awesome so that someone else might possibly have a pristine classic car one day?

No.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I don't think there were ever (except maybe some from the factory that are in museums) any collectible cars that were never driven. So far, I plan to keep my Camaro "forever" and it probably will belong to my son one of these days. Doesn't mean I'm not driving it or enjoying it. And I didn't buy it solely thinking it would be an instant or future classic.

It is posssible to plan to care for a car for many years and still be in excellent condition years later. I knew before I bought it that it wouldn't be a daily driver, or grocery getter. I wouldn't use my car any differently if I knew for a fact it would never be a "collectable".

If it does turn out to be that way, it'll be my kid's "problem".
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #74
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
3rd and 4th Gens arent exactly muscle. Sure the 4th Gens had more Hp than the 3rds but both Gens were made during economic changes which is beginning to take place again. So the 5th gen muscle I'd think would be prized later on down the road. Im not going to say our cars will be worth $500k but Id imagine it'll go up to at least what we paid for them. ZL-1s, Id imagine the collector market will be good for them since production will be low on those animals. Question is, how high will the bar be pushed at in producing HP on an economical level? My thoughts are its going to start declining as that of the 80s and 90s going to the twin turbo 4 cyl and 6 cyliders.
it depends how you define it. old timers talk about cars of the 60s "it had 300HP." yeah GROSS HP. An IROC-Z would whip a 67 SS 350. Heck, an LS1 4th gen would have 400GROSS hp under the old ratings.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #75
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Everything is collectable. The variable is how many years it takes for the item to increase in value. Model Ts, all black...
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #76
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
It really doesn't matter to me, since I'm making plans to be buried in it. On the off chance my family decides not to honor my wishes, I'll leave the chiclets on - just in case
Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #77
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
If YOU don't enjoy the car, and in 20 years it still has low miles, then it will be worth something to someone.

Is it worth it dragging it around taking space in the garage for 20 years so you can recollect what you paid?

Or will you restore it after you wear it out and hope for big bucks? Most non-special restored cars that go across the block don't sell for enough to cover the cost to restore.

The 82 Mustang GT and GM F body cars started all this crap again after the fuel crisis of the 70's that brought us a lot of crappy cars. They are historic cars, they brought back performance....sorta. These cars if clean and original will bring $5000, that's less then they were new.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #78
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Everything is collectable. The variable is how many years it takes for the item to increase in value. Model Ts, all black...
Untrue. To quote Mike Wolfe of American Pickers, "Not everything old is collectible". First you need somebody to want it. Can you ever imagine a Yugo being worth more than it cost new? Heck they weren't worth that much when they WERE NEW!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #79
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Untrue. To quote Mike Wolfe of American Pickers, "Not everything old is collectible". First you need somebody to want it. Can you ever imagine a Yugo being worth more than it cost new? Heck they weren't worth that much when they WERE NEW!
Auto Sales 101 -- There is a seat for every axx and an axx for every seat
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #80
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Considering how your talking about these so called experts, it seems they werent very far off the mark now are they? I havent looked up the original price of a dodge dart, but theyre going for around $10k If thats not big bucks compared to what they spent buying it, I dont know what is? Most of the so called experts hold more salt in their words than just a guy on the street. Its all purely speculation. But if you ever give it some thought, spectators can be pretty spot on. Theyre speculating AAPL to double in stock in a few months to a yr. Now while I find it quite inane for it to double, I do see it as a good buy. Intel seems to be decent but Im a little skeptic considering its stock is at the highest its ever been. Anyway, we're going off the mark here but those speculators have some truth in their words. Those who think differently are the same ppl who owned 60s muscle cars and let them go to shit and wish they couldve done thigns differently. Hindsight is always 20/20
I guess it depends on what you expect from a collectible. To me, a collectible is a 57 Bel Aire, or a 70 cuda ragtop. That kind of price increase and popularity. I recall when i was in high school, the 65 Dodge Coronet was being claimed to be the New 55 Chevy. worth more than when new, but never near the value or status of the 55.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #81
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
$3000 in 1970 is about like $ 16-$18k today adjusted for inflation. If you had invested that $3000 back in 1970 and earned a modest %7 return over that time it would be worth $61,910.33 today. It would have outperformed most all cars, especially when you factor in the cost of maintenance and upkeep on the vehicle over those 42 years.

Just for giggles at %9 your $3000 would be worth over $150k.

Cars are not investments, they are consumables.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #82
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
Anyone who bought this car with the intent to make money off of it is an idiot. If your Camaro cost you $40,000 today, you would have to sell it for $200,000 in 40 years to even break even after adjusting for inflation. You can make 4-5% by buying a few shares of stock with a good dividend. If you do a minimal amount of research you can find stocks that will net you a 10-15% return over the course of 20 years.

Cars as investments are a terrible idea.

I've been an idiot making money off classic cars for 33 yrs. Never mind the hundred of thousands of dollars I lost in the stock market a few years back. Making a general statement is priceless on the web .
Hall of Fame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #83
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Fame View Post
I've been an idiot making money off classic cars for 33 yrs. Never mind the hundred of thousands of dollars I lost in the stock market a few years back. Making a general statement is priceless on the web .
How many we're new when you bought them?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #84
GTUPONIT

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue & 2017 SS White
Keep in mind, what is considered collectible 40 years from now depends upon the individual. Watch some instances on Barrett-Jackson. A car you would think is worth some serious coin only goes for 40k. But the next car in line that has a different color scheme sells for 100k. Whats the difference? Someone recalled their youth 40 years ago and either had that car or really wanted but couldn't afford it. Now that they have the means, they will do almost anything to get it.

Enjoy the car for now, that's what they are made for. If you can manage not to wrap it around a tree, sell or trade it in, and can maintain it "daily", it will be worth something in the future.

Realistically, most of us will say in 40 years that we had a 2010-2013 Camaro but got rid of it. "Man, I wish I still had that car!"
GTUPONIT is offline   Reply With Quote