Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Dr. Jamie

Drives: '11 IOM 1SS/RS
[QUOTE=radz28;3528448]not many people would've wanted to put up with that kind of motor in their cruiser,QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. Point taken. I've quoted the key part of your statement, which drove product decisions ....

The foundation is still there to take one of these engines and make it your own. Let me know if you need help locating one ....

Jamie
Dr. Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
[QUOTE=Dr. GMPP;3534498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
not many people would've wanted to put up with that kind of motor in their cruiser,QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. Point taken. I've quoted the key part of your statement, which drove product decisions ....

The foundation is still there to take one of these engines and make it your own. Let me know if you need help locating one ....

Jamie
My opinions need to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm young-ish and would put up with probably a lot more than some more mature people would in these regards. However, I'm finding that's changing as I finally get more mature (my wifey would tell you how slow that is...). Knowing that was the goal, however, makes total sense.

Seeing the specs' on those babies from several years ago, I know the potential is just waiting to be unleashed. I'm an LS' convert, now, though I still give the highest respect to the rats though

Respectfully...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
"Cruisin" with a ZL1 or L88 was NOT the intent, as far as GM or knowledgeable owners were concerned. Hot Rod Magazine, in March or April '69, featured a road test of a '69 L88 Vette with Automatic and J56 HD Brakes, in which they stressed the fact the car would only stop in traffic if placed in Neutral! And the ZL1 cam was even more extreme...

For Corvettes, L88/ZL1 meant no fan shrouds, no Power Steering, no Radio, no heat/defrost...not your typical Main Street cruiser...

The COPO 9560s were, strangely enough, available with all those features, but the $4,160 tag and "realistic expectations" predicated their virtually exclusive use as racers...organized, or otherwise...

The current "ZL1" engine the good Dr. is talkin' about is lower compressioned and less cam'd than the "original", making it much more suitable and likely to be seen at the local A&W. A great piece of eye candy, with terrific heritage.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
The 69 ZL1 was about as street livable as a 65 AF/X Mustang with a 427 Cammer was..

It wasnt.

Simply put they were 1/4 mile killers, not the car you go cruising in.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Cdn Camaroman

Drives: 4 Camaros
The whole ZL1 debate vs. today....

I must admit,being a bit of a hardcore Camaro lover,that naming the new "ZL1" for a version in gen 5,a bit odd,considering it was a low-key affair to even get one in '69,so the current badge sort-of feels off. As far as dreaming of that new motor,my 69 would gladly replace its' current 96SS-LT1 bullet,with that,Summit seems to have some,but its' that $32K hurdle I have a little trouble with...but nothing wrong with dreaming I guess..GMPP Rocks Doc!
1996 Z28 SS # 004
Cdn Camaroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
"Cruisin" with a ZL1 or L88 was NOT the intent, as far as GM or knowledgeable owners were concerned. Hot Rod Magazine, in March or April '69, featured a road test of a '69 L88 Vette with Automatic and J56 HD Brakes, in which they stressed the fact the car would only stop in traffic if placed in Neutral! And the ZL1 cam was even more extreme...

For Corvettes, L88/ZL1 meant no fan shrouds, no Power Steering, no Radio, no heat/defrost...not your typical Main Street cruiser...

The COPO 9560s were, strangely enough, available with all those features, but the $4,160 tag and "realistic expectations" predicated their virtually exclusive use as racers...organized, or otherwise...

The current "ZL1" engine the good Dr. is talkin' about is lower compressioned and less cam'd than the "original", making it much more suitable and likely to be seen at the local A&W. A great piece of eye candy, with terrific heritage.
Yes, I'm aware of all those facts and more, and it's not necessary to have been an owner. Furthermore, I consider myself relatively knowledgable considering I wasn't alive back when these were stomping the sh*t out of the Mustangs and MOPARs.

What the Doctor was saying is that despite the original ZL-1s complete race-intent, the new one was meant to be able to actually driven on the street without it barfing flames out of the carb' while it was trying to warm up. It mean non-race-only fuel.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #21
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The original ZL1 engine comes from the racing development for Can Am racing which dominated in it's short run with output closer to 700 hp. It was a true racing motor (much like the Boss 429) that was detuned for the Corvette and Camaro which accounts for the temperemental nature of the motor. A modern day equivalent would be like Chevy offering the LS7.R motor in a production car.

Here are some pics from Car Craft Nationals of the ZL1 motor.

DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #22
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
ZL1s COPO, Yenkos, Nickey and Motions

Real deal; ZL1s COPO, Yenkos, Nickey and Motions all racing at Super Car Reunion XIV at Route 66 in Joliet, tomorrow!
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickey Chicago View Post
Real deal; ZL1s COPO, Yenkos, Nickey and Motions all racing at Super Car Reunion XIV at Route 66 in Joliet, tomorrow!
MAN - I wish I could go to those events! I'd LOVE to see ZL-1

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
A modern day equivalent would be like Chevy offering the LS7.R motor in a production car.

I love it when you talk dirty.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
Dr. Jamie

Drives: '11 IOM 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Camaroman View Post
its' that $32K hurdle I have a little trouble with...but nothing wrong with dreaming I guess..GMPP Rocks Doc!
I've seen our dealers advertise these for much less than that number. I think I saw $19k on one recently.

Drop me a PM if you (or anyone that reads this) is seriously looking for an Anniversary Edition 427 version of the ZL1 crate engine. I'll do my best to get a dealer to work with you.

Thanks for looking.

Jamie
Dr. Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #26
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What the Doctor was saying is that despite the original ZL-1s complete race-intent, the new one was meant to be able to actually driven on the street without it barfing flames out of the carb' while it was trying to warm up. It mean non-race-only fuel.
True dat Radz. Those crazy, heady, infancy of factory production drag racer motor days are so far off the map from today nothing can really be compared on any level. We are not even talking apples and oranges...we are talking in other dimensions of time. Testing and design were tantamount to lets see what happens when we do this..., it was shoot first and ask questions later. Those bezerk engines were like handgrenades with loose pins...and making them stay happy and on an even keel was like trying to have a T-Rex for a pet and not having him bite you on the arse. Those guys involved who did all that back then were akin to the Wright Brothers and we owe to them all where we are today. From the Chevy engineer all the way through the process to the driver at the tree, my hats off to you guys.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #27
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
The BOSS 429 motor made the transition from race world to real world a bit better than the ZL1 motor did.

Its funny the comment about barfing flames out of the carb, thats exactly my experience when I saw a ZL1 motor being fired at Woodburn International Raceway (near Portland, OR) a few years ago.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #28
zq8colorado04

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. GMPP View Post
And, the story continues with the original ZL1 engines ....

In 2008, GM Performance Parts restored the original, ZL1 block tooling, build 427 special crate engines named the Anniversary Edition 427, and you might be able to find a few still in dealer inventory. They are individually numbered and documented and highly collectible. For folks building a '69 ZL1 clone, this is a great place to start. More details here:

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...6392&engCat=bb

Thanks,
Jamie
My dad put #182 in his 69 Camaro Convertible....that engine is a beast especially compared to the 350 that came out of it.

3400: 05/12/09
3800: 05/25/09
4200: 05/28/09
5000: 06/09/09
6000: 06/09/09
VIN# A9111943

2SS/RS Black on Black with LS3 and a 6-speed Manual

15% Window Tint
CAI
StainlessWorks Catback Exhaust
BMR 1.4" lowering springs

Last edited by zq8colorado04; 08-02-2011 at 12:41 PM.
zq8colorado04 is offline   Reply With Quote