Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #365
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
I would prefer more HP and less curb weight
And you will have it with the 6th Gen.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #366
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Camaro6, eh?
Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #367
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Camaro6.com....I would have been happy with a 6th gen section on Camaro 5, but I guess if they make it so I can go back and forth between the Camaro5 and Camaro6 without having to log into each site I'll be OK with that.

Time to start customizing Camaro6.com....better get shots of the spy car in the banner up there.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #368
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
First, I'm not even suggesting the Camaro should be over $30,000 for an LT1.

Second, the chassis technology is pretty predictable at this point. If it is off Alpha then the body structure and chassis are pretty much locked within a certain bandwidth. They can tune within that bandwidth, but the car will only deliver on what is in the architecture. I do have some concerns that they will actually decontent the chassis a bit for cost. I hope that doesn't happen but there are some areas of the architecture with premium materials for low weight to compete head on with the BMW 3 and 5 Series.

Third, I agree, it needs to BE a Camaro. That doesn't mean it has to look like any previous generation car. But it has to be one. Now what that means exactly is a hundred different answers on size, styling, "muscle" etc.

Lastly, what I hope we get is a car with no compromises. And by that I don't mean it has a Cadillac interior and fit and finish. It won't simply because that is the reason to buy a Cadillac.

My SS for example has nice materials, alcantera leather for example mixed with perforated leather. But it is simply tacked on in areas so they can say they have it.

Opel in Germany does some pretty nice interiors. Go look at a Buick Verano or Regal. Both Opels by design. I would hope we get an interior that is in that league with soft touch IP and door trim as a starter.

Styling needs to be something special. And doing this will be the hardest thing IMO. Again, putting a 7/8th scale Gen5 car on an Alpha Chassis with an LT1 and an 8 speed would be a GREAT car. But that would just be easy. As I said the Chinese could whip out that car in 6 months.

Also, my fear is that like the Impala is restricted by the Lacrosse and XTS, I don't want GM to have to hold back on the Camaro. The Epsilon Chassis has a hyper strut front and linked h-arm rear that are optional on the Buick, Standard on the Cadillac and NOT AVAILABLE on the Chevy.

I am hoping GM lets this car go beyond those brand boundaries and shackles like they have done with the Corvette. The Corvette is as good as it can be while maintaining a value proposition. But the reason the XLR failed was primarily that the Corvette was so good. It had a cool folding top, but the better powertrain was in the Corvette.

Styling isn't my real beef. I just don't want them holding on to the past with it. It's too easy. But with the Mustang, BMW 4, Audi A5, Hyundai Genesis all having carving out a style in the same segment, GM needs to be great here, not safe.

I am sure if we put a modern powertrain and safety systems in a 57 Belaire it would sell. That isn't the point.

So the easy part is the architecture, chassis tuning and powertrain choice. Those are simple decisions that I expect are already made. Alpha chassis, great tuning for ride and handling which Alpha can deliver, and an LT1. Forget the 3.6 TT. unless you want FE that shouldn't even be in the mix.

So to me the win, the stretch, delivering the unexpected will be the styling, materials and features. And that's where I hope this car score huge on the value proposition and destroys the competition at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Gens 1, 2, 3 & 5 had distinct new looks compared to previous models. Gen 4 was more evolutionary. I want a fresh new Camaro design, as new as were Gens 1, 2, 3 & 5.

The interior has to step up from the Corvette. The C7 is a huge leap forward for Chevrolet sports / muscle car design. Spend some time in it and enjoy it. Then go sit in a BMW 6 series. There is a big difference in base price, about $15k, but the interior quality of the BMW makes the new C7 feel like double the difference.

Back in 2009, I knew how capable the 5th Gen chassis was when up fit to 305/30/19s, better brakes, more power and suspension. The factory built Z/28 is proof to everyone that the Camaro TEAM can build a Camaro that commands the respect of all enthusiasts.

The new generation of GM engines can make power. That is a given.

We come back to exterior and interior design and execution with price point constraints. I want TEAM Camaro to blow me away with a new exciting design that will be fresh in 2020 with an interior that makes me ask how did they do this!?!?!

TEAM Camaro -- Find new roads, don't take me down memory lane.
The 6Gen Camaro better have a coke-bottle shape and an angry looking front-end.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #369
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I vote for a coke-bottle front end and an angry looking shape.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #370
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
I figured FBodfather would of stopped in to comment by now.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #371
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Scott is at the annual Tom Henry event in PA.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #372
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I vote for a coke-bottle front end and an angry looking shape.
From what I'm seeing, take the wheels as fixed and strip off even a few inches of foam and vinyl and you've got your shape.

That and GM styling is REALLY hung up on it and has been for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
I figured FBodfather would of stopped in to comment by now.
Let me suggest the very most Fbodfather can say right now is, "hmmmmmmm a lot of discussion on these pics". You won't likely even hear him acknowledge this is even a Camaro prototype.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #373
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
When will Camaro start adding carbon fiber? I want them to add carbon fiber on the hood, roof, and trunk lid. Best way to meet their targets for weight reduction. All I'm saying is they need to take out 200lbs.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #374
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I just want it to look great!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #375
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof
With all that padding, I can't tell if it's a 6th Gen or a covered up 5th?
Will wait till next year, but have no interest in trading my 2010 2SS in on anything!
Name:  2010 SS.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  459.0 KB
RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #376
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp23rockstar View Post
When will Camaro start adding carbon fiber? I want them to add carbon fiber on the hood, roof, and trunk lid. Best way to meet their targets for weight reduction. All I'm saying is they need to take out 200lbs.
The cost of CF is still huge.

You might find it on a special edition like the Z/28 to differentiate for weight in the future, but it's remains far to expensive for a sub $30,000 car.

The 200 pounds should be there, though, simply by making the car smaller which from everything we are hearing is the case.

And I think replacing the hood, roof and decklid with CF wouldn't save the 200 pounds you are looking for. Probably closer to 100 pounds.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #377
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Lightbulb

Note that it has dual hood vents, like the new Transformers movie model:

Let's also not forget the Jay Leno Camaro w/hood vents:

Last edited by libertyforall; 07-20-2014 at 07:32 PM.
libertyforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #378
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
I bet the V8 SS model has those same hood vents in the same place as the transformers model. I also bet it has those same head lights and tail lights as the transformers model. Why would the Chevy designers put those elements into the show car then not use them on the production car. But just on the alpha chassis meaning being a little smaller than the 5th gen.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation