Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-02-2018, 04:28 AM   #71
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_junkie View Post
Well, I am not even sure Diminished Value is an issue in my case. The total damage is somewhere around $3500. I did not file a claim on my insurance; instead I let Enterprise's insurer handle it. I specifically asked them if this claim would be reported and they said they aren't authorized to do so unless I ask them. The body shop said the same thing too. So I am not really sure how this would affect the car's resale value.
Diminished value has little to do with how much in damage you received and nothing to do with which insurance party handles the claim. Diminished value is there because if you try to sell it, when someone pulls up the carfax they will see its been involved in an accident, regardless how minor or severe, it will hurt your resell value just simply because it happened.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #72
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Nice - hope the car come back OK. As I have indicated B&S has a great reputation as a class act shop. Jeff did me a total solid on a total this year and knows his stuff.

I hate to say it - California makes damage over zzz$ reportable no matter what. That can be a gray area... You live here - you know.

By the way I have a lead on a shop in Oakland for auto electrics and I'm going to have them do a front and read camera install - wiring inside the headliner - to trunk - will post up pics!

If Enterprise works out - that's great. I always use my carrier, however I carry xtra endorsements. Not to turn this into an insurance thread - but here's the deal - at least for me. I have OEM parts and new car replacement endorsements on my policy.

Those endorsements are paid for by me - to my insurance company regardless of fault. So in a situation where I get whacked - let's say by a GEICO driver, GEICO could not care less about my endorsements. They only want to pay the minimum.

So I file with my carrier based on my endorsements and let them subrogate.

Hope to meet up at one of the east bay events.
B&S rocks. I'm working with Rick at the Pleasanton shop and the experience has been everything I expected and more. He's been really helpful in dealing with the craptastic insurance company handling the claim. In retrospect, I should've just filed a comp claim with my insurer, but I didn't want to take a hit on my premium. Some say it wouldn't go up since I wasn't at fault, others have told me it would still increase since I am filing a claim... that's a gray area, IDK what to believe.

Do you know what the threshold for reporting damage/claims is? Both the body shop and ELCO, the insurance company, specifically said they couldn't report it unless I instructed them to do so. FWIW, ELCO is part of a French insurance conglomerate. Maybe they operate differently

By the way, are there any meetups happening in East Bay? I know the Good Guys car show and autoX are coming up on Nov 10 & 11.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #73
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
B&S rocks. I'm working with Rick at the Pleasanton shop and the experience has been everything I expected and more. He's been really helpful in dealing with the craptastic insurance company handling the claim. In retrospect, I should've just filed a comp claim with my insurer, but I didn't want to take a hit on my premium. Some say it wouldn't go up since I wasn't at fault, others have told me it would still increase since I am filing a claim... that's a gray area, IDK what to believe.

Do you know what the threshold for reporting damage/claims is? Both the body shop and ELCO, the insurance company, specifically said they couldn't report it unless I instructed them to do so. FWIW, ELCO is part of a French insurance conglomerate. Maybe they operate differently

By the way, are there any meetups happening in East Bay? I know the Good Guys car show and autoX are coming up on Nov 10 & 11.
I thought the DMV thing was 750 in property damage or more, apparently it's 1,000. The issue is not when both parties don't turn them (SR1's) in, the issue is when one party does notify DMV and one does not (both parties are supposed to). Then DMV sends out a nasty gram to the other driver and suspends licenses, etc. It's an easy fix - but can be a pain as insurance companies check driving records constantly and then there is more explaining to do or prove up on fault, or a non-renewal due to a license suspension due to a form not being filed. Not preaching doom and gloom - but it does happen and many, many years ago happened to me on a not at fault accident.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/sr/sr1

I have Safeco on my cars and I don't know if I am required to report to them in situations where I was not at fault and using the other folks insurance for repairs.

I have Progressive on my motorcycle. Progressive demands to know. A dealer dropped my bike (first service at 600 miles) off a service stand about 8 years ago - I had to bring Progressive in as there was issue with the shop's insurance. Progressive was good but they pointed out I HAD to let them know of any damage irrespective of fault and that was part of my policy language.

In California non fault accident claims don't increase your rates. Nor do comprehensive events. However there is a letter they send you finding a % at fault or 100% not at fault. Therefore if you were found (by the insurance company's own review) to be say 5% at fault - they can use that for premium increases.

That's my understanding anyway.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #74
jeep_junkie

Quote:
I thought the DMV thing was 750 in property damage or more, apparently it's 1,000. The issue is not when both parties don't turn them (SR1's) in, the issue is when one party does notify DMV and one does not (both parties are supposed to). Then DMV sends out a nasty gram to the other driver and suspends licenses, etc. It's an easy fix - but can be a pain as insurance companies check driving records constantly and then there is more explaining to do or prove up on fault, or a non-renewal due to a license suspension due to a form not being filed. Not preaching doom and gloom - but it does happen and many, many years ago happened to me on a not at fault accident.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/sr/sr1

I have Safeco on my cars and I don't know if I am required to report to them in situations where I was not at fault and using the other folks insurance for repairs.

I have Progressive on my motorcycle. Progressive demands to know. A dealer dropped my bike (first service at 600 miles) off a service stand about 8 years ago - I had to bring Progressive in as there was issue with the shop's insurance. Progressive was good but they pointed out I HAD to let them know of any damage irrespective of fault and that was part of my policy language.

In California non fault accident claims don't increase your rates. Nor do comprehensive events. However there is a letter they send you finding a % at fault or 100% not at fault. Therefore if you were found (by the insurance company's own review) to be say 5% at fault - they can use that for premium increases.

That's my understanding anyway.
Well, I'm new to California so I didn't know the SR1 was a thing. The police wasn't called to the scene of the accident. Enterprise filed their own internal paperwork. They didn't want the police involved and I doubt they even filed the SR1 since there was superficial damage to their vehicle. I called the cops later and they didn't file anything either, saying that they wouldn't have done any more than facilitate an exchange of insurance information. I wonder if there's a way to check if anything was filed with the DMV.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #75
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Well, I'm new to California so I didn't know the SR1 was a thing. The police wasn't called to the scene of the accident. Enterprise filed their own internal paperwork. They didn't want the police involved and I doubt they even filed the SR1 since there was superficial damage to their vehicle. I called the cops later and they didn't file anything either, saying that they wouldn't have done any more than facilitate an exchange of insurance information. I wonder if there's a way to check if anything was filed with the DMV.
It would show up as an accident on your driving record (irrespective of fault). That's how your insurance picks up that you were in an accident. I would guess that the chances are they did not.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:17 AM   #76
RomanB

Drives: 2LT RS Yellow Convertible
Quote:
It would show up as an accident on your driving record (irrespective of fault). That's how your insurance picks up that you were in an accident. I would guess that the chances are they did not.
You can call the DMV to find out.

In general I recommend to call the DMV about the accident. If there are any repair costs over a certain amount (I think $1000) and an insurance company is involved, the chances are high that the insurance company reported the accident to the DMV (it's the law).

If you did not report yet the DMV, you will receive a letter about that you did not report the accident.

This happened 3 years ago to me. I called the police, but the police does not contact the DMV. My repair costs were over $1000 and the other insurance paid the bill. Because I thought, everything is fine I never contacted the DMV and then was in trouble to get my driving license suspended. And I have now a DMV record about not reporting the accident ...
Old 11-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #77
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The People's Republic of Kalifornia
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #78
jeep_junkie

I was hoping to take delivery of the car yesterday but turns out the techs chipped a corner of the bumper while mounting it so it needs to be repainted in that area. There's also an unacceptable amount of orange peel going on. These cars actually have none from the factory and I made it a point to mention that; the finish should at least match the front bumper. I wasn't really too happy seeing all of this but I'm waiting till Monday for them to do it right. Also, is the lower valance panel on the rear bumper painted or is it bare plastic? The one they installed is a factory piece but it looks bare. Could've been the lights in there making it look like that
Old 11-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #79
matt fe2o3

In the clear coat? They should polish it out.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #80
jeep_junkie

Quote:
In the clear coat? They should polish it out.
Yes that's what they told me. One of my friends who used to do bodywork would spray the clear on so that it wouldn't need polishing. I figured that's how everyone would do it.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #81
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Beautiful car. Good luck with the final repair.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #82
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Yes that's what they told me. One of my friends who used to do bodywork would spray the clear on so that it wouldn't need polishing. I figured that's how everyone would do it.

You have a beautiful car. It is one of the only ones I would rather have than my 2 SS Fifty convertible.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #83
jeep_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
Beautiful car. Good luck with the final repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
You have a beautiful car. It is one of the only ones I would rather have than my 2 SS Fifty convertible.
Thank you guys. Hoping to get her back tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #84
jeep_junkie

Quick update: Got the car back yesterday. The repair is perfect - bumper actually fits better now that the one from the factory and the paint is perfectly matched.

The only thing bothering me though is a cloudy residue left on the car, most probably an aftereffect of the liquid mask they spray all over the car. Rick told me he will have the car polished. Just waiting to hear back when they can get it in.