Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #253
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
I drive my F1 G2 6 months / year and 2 months of those suck..and I drove in -15degrees temp and no crack on 2 sets. I adapt my driving style to the temperature and nothing goes wrong. I do not agree at all that summer only tires are dangerous but there is always downside to anything: thread wear, comfort, performance, price, etc.

That beeing said, I might try Michelin PS3 performance all season because; thread wear (F1 are terrible), I live in a cold azz country and the stickyness of the F1 throws all rocks and crap on your Paint.

But the grip of the F1 are unbelievable and I might miss that...and go back with them. Plus they look awesome!!

Its true the 1LE is not a package for everyone but it shows the Camaro's real potential

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #254
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
On a side note... 9 million computational hours... That's 375,000 days, or 100 simulations running non-stop every second of every day for the last 10 years and 3 months (give or take a bit). Hmm, I wonder if that number came from the accountants that got GM bankrupt in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Accelerated simulations..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Well, if you have 100 machines running the simulations simultaneously, then you would divide that time by 100. I doubt they made up the numbers.
Apparently, this 9,000,000 number is a factor of CPU "core hours" that they've been running for the last three years or so on advanced, high-power, multi-core machines through computer-aided engineering models.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #255
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Summer only tires can have VERY good wet breaking and traction. It just depends on the tire. In snow or ice however your asking for a wrecked car. They do lose some grip when cold and you have to adjust driving. This is from someone who does this for a living. I will agree that there should have been two or more options for tires on the SS. Standard being a all season tire like the Continental DWS and a option for a max performance summer only tire that rivals even the stock P zero's like a BFG G force Rival or GY Eagle F1 supercar with a tire like the stock P zero in the middle.

As far as magazine test I bet anything they would always test the max performance summer tire the way the Mustang was ALWAYS tested with the brembo package. I don't think I ever read a magazine comparison test of the Mustang without at least the Brembo package, which comes with wider summer tires and most of them had a performance package on top of that. The 4th gen SS had tire options like this. I remember the G Force KD being one of them. That tire was for real and a friend was able to get a 1.7 60ft with them on a bone stock car.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #256
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I've driven my 1LE in rain and never once had any issues. As long as you drive smart, the tires are fine.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #257
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Summer only tires can have VERY good wet breaking and traction. It just depends on the tire. In snow or ice however your asking for a wrecked car. They do lose some grip when cold and you have to adjust driving. This is from someone who does this for a living. I will agree that there should have been two or more options for tires on the SS. Standard being a all season tire like the Continental DWS and a option for a max performance summer only tire that rivals even the stock P zero's like a BFG G force Rival or GY Eagle F1 supercar with a tire like the stock P zero in the middle.

As far as magazine test I bet anything they would always test the max performance summer tire the way the Mustang was ALWAYS tested with the brembo package. I don't think I ever read a magazine comparison test of the Mustang without at least the Brembo package, which comes with wider summer tires and most of them had a performance package on top of that. The 4th gen SS had tire options like this. I remember the G Force KD being one of them. That tire was for real and a friend was able to get a 1.7 60ft with them on a bone stock car.
Yep don't think I ever saw a major auto mag review anything but a PP equipped 2015 Mustang.

Agree on the BFG KD, I managed to cut a 1.86 60' on the KDW in my '99 SS. Definitely an impressive tire line.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #258
Phenix

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Man I remember those. I think those were the first street tire (R compound excluded) to be able to break 1.0g on a skidpad. Had them on my 350z, great tires.
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #259
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I've driven my 1LE in rain and never once had any issues. As long as you drive smart, the tires are fine.
Drive smart? What the fck does that mean?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #260
Shortbus

Drives: 88 IROC Z28
I think they look pretty good. They do resemble the IROC wheels from the late 80's.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #261
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
And there lies the problem. Sacrificing real-world performance chasing some mythical test result for magazine articles that no one reads. People that buy a Camaro SS buy one for one reason: they want a Camaro SS. People are not making their decisions based on some Motor Trend article. It's a useless comparison. However, there are countless people on this website pissed that these cars come with such terrible tires. They have some of the worst treadwear of any tire available, are the most expensive street tire you can get (which is why virtually no one re-buys PZero's once the stockers die) and everyone knows they shouldn't be running them in the cold, yet most do because they don't want to spend $1,000 on new rubber when they own a new car to begin with. That's a terrible excuse. Real-world performance matters, and when it comes to real-world performance, good all seasons are going to smoke a summer only tire.

The market for summer only street tires don't make much sense. They fail in most real-world conditions and aren't very good on a track, either. Sell the car with proper all-seasons, then if you want a track tire buy an actual track tire. A summer only street tire is the most useless tire of all because they fail to do anything well.

I noticed that you have General AS-03 tires on your car. How do you like them? They are significantly lighter than the PZero's.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #262
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I return to this thread and laugh because in another thread people are complaining that the new top Camaro needs to top Hellcat horsepower but over here people are saying summer only tires are stupid.

So I get it now, GM, if you are listening, we need a 725 hp (just to make sure dodge can't easily surpass the hp figure again) Camaro with all season tires. And it better be safe.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #263
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I return to this thread and laugh because in another thread people are complaining that the new top Camaro needs to top Hellcat horsepower but over here people are saying summer only tires are stupid.

So I get it now, GM, if you are listening, we need a 725 hp (just to make sure dodge can't easily surpass the hp figure again) Camaro with all season tires. And it better be safe.
Don't forget lighter. And bigger.

Bigger than the current car, but lighter - with a million hp, and all season tires.

Seems like 2008 all over again.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #264
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Don't forget lighter. And bigger.

Bigger than the current car, but lighter - with a million hp, and all season tires.

Seems like 2008 all over again.
Yeah, **** it. Why stop at 725 hp when we can have a 1000!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #265
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Yeah, **** it. Why stop at 725 hp when we can have a 1000!
...But what if..? Can you imagine, a car with 1000hp right from the factory at NOT crazyinsaneridiculous super/hyper car prices?!

Now that right there would be insane and get people talking
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #266
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
... and don't forget negative 20% financing!! I want GM to pay me to take out a loan for the car.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote