Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #29
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
I make sure to drive a manual while I still can, much more fun and performance wise much more exhilarating (if you know how to drive a stick).

On the other hand my 5th gen is not my daily driver, my 4th gen is which is an auto, but I am fortunate enough to be able to have both. If I had to choose one it would be the manual, but traffic every day would be frustrating.

However one last opinion, if I was in the same situation, I wouldn't trade in the auto for a manual unless you are planning on a new car anyway. Take the money the dealer would gouge you for on the trade in and put it toward some performance mods.

When you learn how to pull off a good pass in a manual at the drag strip, you know you did a good job driving. When you pull off a good pass in an automatic, you know your wallet did a good job paying for go fast parts.
lol. i just don't understand how people who say those of us with automatics somehow are magically less skilled in driving than those with sticks...but hey, if thay's what you think....in the (mangled) words of kanye-go ahead, get down....
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #30
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
lol. i just don't understand how people who say those of us with automatics somehow are magically less skilled in driving than those with sticks...but hey, if thay's what you think....in the (mangled) words of kanye-go ahead, get down....
Is that what I said?

But yes, it does take more skill to drive a stick properly than to drive an auto properly. Does it mean or did I say those who drive automatics are less skilled at driving? No.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #31
elektrik

Quote:
Is that what I said?

But yes, it does take more skill to drive a stick properly than to drive an auto properly. Does it mean or did I say those who drive automatics are less skilled at driving? No.
you implied it wirh your last statement and confirmed it with this one
Old 11-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #32
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I guess to me(L99 driver), I would not trade in my L99 for an LS3. Now, if I were buying new, may consider the LS3 harder, especially if I were looking to mod the car for higher performance.

There is no question it COSTS less to get higher power out of an LS3 then an L99 as it has a better valve train set up.

That is the only real advantage I see that the LS3 has over the L99, when you reach a certain point in performance, the LS3 is a better platform to build up.

If someone wants to get rich, they need to design a transmission that is an automatic/manual hybrid. Now before the smart ass comments start coming that you can paddle shift the L99, NO S___!!!

A trans that would allow automatic shifting in one mode and then allow you to manually run through the gears just like a manual in another. DO not even know if this would be possible but it would be cool as hell.

If you would have told the original owners of the Gen 1 Chevy small block that within 50 years they would be seeing +1000 horsepower out of the small block chevy, they would have also told you that would likely be impossible.

So you smarties out there, get working!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #33
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
As much as I love the M6, I still find myself in an A6 in all three Camaro's I have owned. This is mainly due to being a DD and sitting in traffic for 25 miles each way.

When I purchased my L99 I was unaware of the extra costs it would need to get more HP. This was disappointing for me and if I had known this up front, I would have gone the LS3 route. However, it is not worth it to me to trade my L99 for an LS3. L99 for a ZL1, I'd say go for it :-). Haha
Old 11-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #34
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Is that what I said?

Your posting info that's been known for...ummm decades. Most people are average drivers....sure if your power shifting your manual down the track you have skill....if your just rowing the gears like 90 percent of people do....your average. I can drive both...please define properly....maybe I've been driving manual cars on and off for 29 years all wrong..... and one last point.....you understand it's mostly autos drag racing right?.....so all the guys racing hard core with automatics are just guys that don't have any skill and have bought their way to success at the track. Hmmm better rethink your point here...there is a lot of guys on here that know what they are doing at the track running automatics. Sure there's manual guys doing it as well. Don't look down on the automatics at the track.

Last edited by rontammy0; 11-27-2014 at 01:06 PM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #35
mth35115

Drives: 2010 Camaro rs/ss inferno orange
I have a 2010 SS that MTI Racing installed a cam and long tube headers with stock mufflers, and dino tuned the engine and transmission. The car shifts crisper, sounds badder, and runs faster. With the stock mufflers, I still get people stopping me to find out what I've done to my car. AND then came Maggy,.

HOT ROD SS
MTH35115
mth35115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #36
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I like my L99. One day, this car will see a new engine, but I do like my transmission, despite the guys that hate the auto.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #37
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
you implied it wirh your last statement and confirmed it with this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Your posting info that's been known for...ummm decades. Most people are average drivers....sure if your power shifting your manual down the track you have skill....if your just rowing the gears like 90 percent of people do....your average. I can drive both...please define properly....maybe I've been driving manual cars on and off for 29 years all wrong..... and one last point.....you understand it's mostly autos drag racing right?.....so all the guys racing hard core with automatics are just guys that don't have any skill and have bought their way to success at the track. Hmmm better rethink your point here...there is a lot of guys on here that know what they are doing at the track running automatics. Sure there's manual guys doing it as well. Don't look down on the automatics at the track.
Wow sounds like you 2 guys have a complex about your autos and neither actually reads the statements I post, but would rather jump to conclusions and try to tell me I am saying something I am not.

But be what it is, I have built and driven multiple cars into single digits, within those cars I have had both auto cars and manual cars. Is it a cake walk to drive an auto car into single digit territory, no its not. Does it take more time, practice and skill to get a stick car into single digit territory, yes it does. It is also far more gratifying once you accomplish that feat.

I was 13 the first time I hit a dragstrip, 16 by the time I attained certifications and built an auto car (with the help of my dad of course) to run fast enough to reach single digit territory. When I was 18 I built a similar class car except in a standard, it took 6 more years to develop the skill necessary to get the second into the single digits, but it was a lot more fun and a hell of a lot more rewarding when I pulled off that first 9.98 pass.

Again, if you drive an auto, it does not mean you don't have the skill to drive a manual. It does however take more skill to drive a standard car to the same level as an auto car.

Maybe that's a little more clear for you two, but let's see what you all come up with me supposedly inferring after this post.

BTW, both of you seem to have missed the fact that my recommendation for being in his shoes was to stick with the auto and mod it rather than trade it in for a manual

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #38
dklowrider

Drives: 2012 1SS, 6spd. many mods 478 rwhp
One of the local tracks that regularly runs nostalgia drags has a lot of quick cars show up with a decal in the window that says "Real race cars have 3 pedals".
If they only knew how politically incorrect that would be if the wrong people would see it.
One thing to remember about automatic transmissions and drag racing, bracket racing in particular, is that the goal is consistency in your runs.
dklowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #39
elektrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
^^^^ This! Well said!
Old 11-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #40
elektrik

Quote:
Is that what I said?

But yes, it does take more skill to drive a stick properly than to drive an auto properly.
Quote:

Again, if you drive an auto, it does not mean you don't have the skill to drive a manual. It does however take more skill to drive a standard car to the same level as an auto car.
Not trying to tell you you're saying anything. I can only state what I (and obvioiusly other individuals) read. If you're not saying that those that drive manual transmissions have more driving skill than those with automatic transmissions have, than I apologize for misunderstanding you. *Did* I misunderstand what you're saying?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #41
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The LS3 is a performance oriented engine from the Corvette, happy to run on the track at 5-6K rpm. No VVT and no AFM. I love it for those reasons. The L99 is for a different customer, but still a nice all aluminum muscle car V-8.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:06 AM   #42
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Wow sounds like you 2 guys have a complex about your autos and neither actually reads the statements I post, but would rather jump to conclusions and try to tell me I am saying something I am not.

But be what it is, I have built and driven multiple cars into single digits, within those cars I have had both auto cars and manual cars. Is it a cake walk to drive an auto car into single digit territory, no its not. Does it take more time, practice and skill to get a stick car into single digit territory, yes it does. It is also far more gratifying once you accomplish that feat.

I was 13 the first time I hit a dragstrip, 16 by the time I attained certifications and built an auto car (with the help of my dad of course) to run fast enough to reach single digit territory. When I was 18 I built a similar class car except in a standard, it took 6 more years to develop the skill necessary to get the second into the single digits, but it was a lot more fun and a hell of a lot more rewarding when I pulled off that first 9.98 pass.

Maybe that's a little more clear for you two, but let's see what you all come up with me supposedly inferring after this post.

BTW, both of you seem to have missed the fact that my recommendation for being in his shoes was to stick with the auto and mod it rather than trade it in for a manual
Seems its more then i misunderstood the misunderstanding you posted.....when you post about the wallet being the only reason for success at the track for autos, theres only one way to take that. In reality you need the wallet for any track success right?
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote