Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #1
kyhoney44

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Camaro
Exclamation Help!! Camaro recently serviced - 2 wks later engine blows

So I took my 2013 Limited Edition Hot Wheels Camaro to the dealership for a tune-up and inspection. They performed the multi-point inspection, an electrical system diagnosis, replaced plugs and wires, fuel induction service, cleaned air filter, changed out the tranny and rear differential fluids.
When I picked my car up, I drove about 20 miles, came to a stop light and as I slowed to a stop, my car kept wanting to lurch forward. I returned to the dealership on the following day and they fixed it in less than 15 minutes. They stated the idle was at 100% and that sometimes it takes a computer a minute to adjust?
After a couple weeks, I'm driving home from work and suddenly my car began to shake and idle very roughly. Multiple dash lights flashed and the Service Stabilitrak appeared on the dash panel. The car just stopped in the middle of the road. I had it towed back to the same dealership. They called to tell me there was a misfire on #5 and #8 and that there is NO compression on #8. The service department stated the technician went through the car to ensure it was nothing caused by their work. They said the technician stated a valve was likely bent and I needed to replace the engine at $8,700.
My thoughts are that they should've known if there was a misfire when it was in the shop. I did ask them at that time to go through the vehicle completely. How does a misfire on two cylinders occur so soon after this service?? I have never had any issues with my car in the past.
kyhoney44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Wonder what they do for this "fuel induction service"... Don't suppose you have a code reader? Or know what codes popped up?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
kyhoney44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Wonder what they do for this "fuel induction service"... Don't suppose you have a code reader? Or know what codes popped up?
It says Fuel Induction Service: GM spray on the Repair Estimate. I do have a code reader but I have never had any issues with this car and I’m the only owner. I didn’t think to put the reader on it after it broke down.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Mileage of said unit? Auto or manual? Mods?
Sounds like it was money shifted.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:33 AM   #5
kyhoney44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
Mileage of said unit? Auto or manual? Mods?
Sounds like it was money shifted.
The car has 129,000 miles but has not been mishandled at all by me and I don’t allow anyone else to drive my car. It’s automatic with the tap shift.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
It goes without saying that the dealer is the worst place to have a car worked on or maintained. People need to have a trusted mechanic that does quality honest work for the times that they actually need mechanical work performed already in there mind. These unscrupulous places do these easy to perform procedures on cars and then charge for them, if they even do them at all. The engine has a bent valve and it needs replaced? I would tell the dealer to take a flying leap at the moon and get bent! My buddy takes his vehicles places for oil changes for 25 bucks. It costs me 50 bucks to change my own oil. He thinks I am an idiot, but guess what? My oil got changed, his got changed on paper. He has car problems, air cleaner just was changed 4 months ago. Looks like in reality it was changed 5 years ago. Yea it was changed on the bill, not in reality. Find a real shop to maintain your cars, that does quality work, actually does the work. They are around. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Being an auto it was not likely money shifted. Perhaps just dropped a valve or broke a valve spring. Being an L99 could mean lifter issues as well.
Only one way to find out. If it really does need a motor get an LS3.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Most likely what happened is they tuned it up and possibly ran it hard. At that mileage i'll bet it dropped a valve because you had a cracked spring or springs. Very common on these newer engines. I had a similar thing happen but I knew they were beating on the car because the front rotors that were just put on before it went to the dealer were ruined! T^hey still denied any wrong doing quoted me 10k to fix it. My cars never go back to the dealer unless its a warranty issue and then no one is allowed to drive them on the road.
PaulsSS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, engine, misfire, replacement, stabilitrak