Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Camaro SS on track days

Hello folks:

I've signed up for HPDE1 in March. What can I expect from this car on a track.

Any experienced road warriors have any suggestions or can share their experience with a stock 2SS on a race track?

Handling quirks, braking points, handling understeer and controlling a drift, etc.

Thanks.

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS

Last edited by Ambush; 02-23-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I can offer nothing than some jealousy! Been thinking of an HPDE weekend as well. Have fun
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
Hello folks:

I've signed up for HPDE1 in March. What can I expect from this car on a track.

Any experienced road warriors have any suggestions or can share their experience with a stock 2SS on a race track?

Handling quirks, braking points, handling understeer and controlling a drift, etc.

Thanks.
I haven't driven a 5th gen SS on the track, but it's pretty much the same for all cars. First lap out you will just be taking it easy and learning the track, After that you just gradually get faster. You won't be drifting at all really. You will also have an instructor riding along with you giving you pointers and telling you where to brake and where to turn in. Just make sure you build speed gradually lap after lap. You will find the limits without hurting anything. NOLA is a good track to learn on because there aren't too many places to really screw up. The biggest thing is to get off the gas and on the brakes if you start to lose it.

I would recommend downloading a track timer app (harrys, trackaddict, etc.) and record your sessions. Don't worry about them while you are out there, but when you get back check to see how you are progressing. You should get faster and faster as the weekend goes on without much effort.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
I also signed up... But from what I gather you'll want to:
do an oil change with the owners recomneded oil (its not the 5W30) perform the brake fluid flush with Dot4 and put them brake ducts on. After words, do a diff flush.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Lugnutty

Drives: 2022 2SS
The car will be just fine. Change your oil and make sure you put good brake fluid in it. The fluid that comes in the car can't take the heat. CHANGE THE BRAKE FLUID.

If this is your first time out, don't get anything resembling lap timing. Listen to your instructor. Figure out how it feels to drive safely on a race track. Assuming your tires and brakes are up to code, the car as it sits can go much, much faster than you will be able to drive it. Don't start timing until you move out of the novice group.

Do not drift on the track.

If you accidentally start to spin it, both feet in and LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. Don't look at what you're afraid you're going to hit - you'll stand a much better change of hitting it if you're looking at it. Look where you want the car to go and your hands will do their best to match your eyes.

You'll figure out braking points. You'll brake too early, too hard, and too long for a while until you figure it all out. As long as you still have track left in front of you and brake pad left in the caliper, you'll be fine.

The car is heavy but it handles wonderfully. No handling quirks to speak of. Don't try to adjust anything until you figure out what it does that you don't like.

Make sure your fluids and brake pads are fresh and new and just take it out and have fun. DFBS!
Lugnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
+1 on going to dot 4 brake fluid, & make sure you put on the track deflectors to cool the front brakes

Other that that just have fun
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutty View Post
The car will be just fine. Change your oil and make sure you put good brake fluid in it. The fluid that comes in the car can't take the heat. CHANGE THE BRAKE FLUID.

If this is your first time out, don't get anything resembling lap timing. Listen to your instructor. Figure out how it feels to drive safely on a race track. Assuming your tires and brakes are up to code, the car as it sits can go much, much faster than you will be able to drive it. Don't start timing until you move out of the novice group.

Do not drift on the track.

If you accidentally start to spin it, both feet in and LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. Don't look at what you're afraid you're going to hit - you'll stand a much better change of hitting it if you're looking at it. Look where you want the car to go and your hands will do their best to match your eyes.

You'll figure out braking points. You'll brake too early, too hard, and too long for a while until you figure it all out. As long as you still have track left in front of you and brake pad left in the caliper, you'll be fine.

The car is heavy but it handles wonderfully. No handling quirks to speak of. Don't try to adjust anything until you figure out what it does that you don't like.

Make sure your fluids and brake pads are fresh and new and just take it out and have fun. DFBS!
^

I'm gonna go on the basis that this will be your first time on a road course...

So... as was pointed out above, basically the first thing you need to understand is that at this point in your development, your car probably has greater capability than you have as a driver. This is a good thing...
You'll do just fine - keep all the nannies on to start and have an absolute ball! (Beware - you will become addicted!!)

I see you have an automatic... I've driven a 5th Gen ZL1 auto and M6 on the track and a 6th Gen V6 M6 on the track. Drove them back-to-back. IMHO, the 6th Gen car on the Alpha chassis is much more responsive to steering inputs and so much easier to control on a track. Just let the car do its thing. Fuggedabout the tranny (you will be amazed!). Just let it do its thing and focus on steering the racing line and the braking points.
It's simply one helluva capable car! Count on the brakes doing what you need them to do and enjoy! Research what tire pressures you need to bump up to for the course (you can ask when you get there) and bring a gauge and a pump. Check pressures after a session and before getting back on again.
Enjoy!!!

Best regards,

Elie
Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Thanks for all the input guys!

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote