Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #29
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC View Post
There are normal variations for the coolant depending if your cooling fan is on, ac is on or off, and load on the engine. Mine varies from 189-220, and it's 100% normal. It won't go over 202 with A/c on, it will go to 220 without. If you ever hit 230-250, then worry.
Most I've seen is 205 on my V6 but a few minutes later went back down to 199.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #30
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Controlled explosions... Stuff will get hot.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #31
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
I always open the hood on my truck and cars after I pull them into the garage so the under hood wiring and components don't sit and heat bake with no air flow over them.
if your car's cooling components are operational, your electrical components will be able to handle the temperature.

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #32
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Thanks for the tip on the heat shield, it will definitely make it on to the next starter. Now should I go heavier duty or direct replacement for the starter?
Old 07-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #33
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Great thing about this world...everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Absolutely.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #34
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
if your car's cooling components are operational, your electrical components will be able to handle the temperature.
What exactly is that suppose to mean. My cars cooling system is not in service when my car is turned off in the garage.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #35
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
I usually just pop the hood but I have a climate controlled garage also so that helps.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #36
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
This brings up a debate I am having currently. My LTS make it hot under the hood with the cam, to the point where after driving a while, my starter gets heat soaked and doesn't want to restart easily. All gauges read accurately. Occasional misfire code blinks from the plug wires. Trying to figure out ways to vent it and cool it. Cats being deleted helped a little, but not a problem solve. Any suggestions?
Quote:
And the above extractor wont work because 45th decal on the hood. unless I get both painted on, with the extractor.
Check out what this guy did.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ary+hood+vents
Old 07-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #37
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
My Bumblebee got so hot after re-entry into the atmosphere, that my license plate and holder melted off. After one year of being surrounded by cops..they look but never get me for no plate.

I had my car detailed after being painted and I too love the smell of the cleaners heating up.
Attached Images

My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #38
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Quote:
I always open the hood on my truck and cars after I pull them into the garage so the under hood wiring and components don't sit and heat bake with no air flow over them. But yea, they do put out the heat. If it's not raining out I'll leave my garage door open for a while after putting the cars in.
Makes sense... Never thought of that. Would make the electronic components last longer... That is a fact.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #39
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebumble View Post
Makes sense... Never thought of that. Would make the electronic components last longer... That is a fact.
Everything under your hood is engineerd to withstand high temps...
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #40
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
I always open the hood on my truck and cars after I pull them into the garage so the under hood wiring and components don't sit and heat bake with no air flow over them. But yea, they do put out the heat. If it's not raining out I'll leave my garage door open for a while after putting the cars in.
I also agree that this is overkill. If your worried about the under hood wiring and components you should do this every time you shut the car off, not only when you park it in the garage. Just think how hot it will get when you park it in the hot sun at the grocery store! The hood should really be left open then also.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #41
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
I also agree that this is overkill. If your worried about the under hood wiring and components you should do this every time you shut the car off, not only when you park it in the garage. Just think how hot it will get when you park it in the hot sun at the grocery store! The hood should really be left open then also.
I disagree. Outside there is significantly more air moving around the underside and around the car to accelerate the cool down period. But hey, to each his own. It takes an extra 5 seconds of my time to open the hood when I park it in the garage. Plus it gives me a chance to look things over under the hood before I drive off. What seems to be overkill here is the skepticism with respect to opening up a car hood to let heat escape. I'm not worried about under hood wiring, coil packs, ecm, and the likes as much as you would infer, simply because I do this easy step. It's hotter than Hades down here in south Texas and I do what I can to take care of my belongings.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #42
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post

That is beautiful! I think I would take off the vinyl and have the stripes painted onto the vents and hood at that point. This is a daily driver, once she goes to weekend only toy, I'll be fixing every minor imperfection there is. This will be part of that for sure.