Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #57
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedOUTSS610 View Post
ok .. another dumb question ... nannies???????

The Nannies is just a nickname for all the cars computer assisted programming like the ABS, SC & TC. So folks call it that because they kick in and interfere and take over control. And obviously the computer is going to be way faster than most peoples reflexes. Having them on just makes the vehicle safer and easier to control especially in an emergency situation.

But for a Pro Driver, they usually turn them off because the nannies will actually slow them down, since they are trained to react. Tanner Faust took the new Stingray out for an all out run and got a faster time with them off, why, because on one stretch of the road it was like cobble stone, very very bumpy and with the systems on it drastically slowed the car because the wheels weren't touching the ground half the time as it bounced all over the place, so the nannies took over and really applied the brakes.

That Lambo video does an excellent example of the nannies doing their job. Loved the video with Tiff from 5th Gear as well, I'm a big fan of his show. He can seriously drive at high speeds.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #58
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
No you don't, you can't turn eveything off and put it in competitive mode ... You can only choose one ... T/C off, Competitive Mode on, every thing off

Ummmm i think i know MY car but thanks. Yes I tap the button twive (2 times) and it turns everything off. Same as my corvette Z06 too. Mine is a ls3 not L99, so yes 2 taps turns everything off on a manual car.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #59
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Ummmm i think i know MY car but thanks. Yes I tap the button twive (2 times) and it turns everything off. Same as my corvette Z06 too. Mine is a ls3 not L99, so yes 2 taps turns everything off on a manual car.

Tapping two times puts it in Comp mode, one time turns off T/C, press and hold for 5-7 seconds turns all off. Comp mode just reduces T/C and Stabilitrack end engages launch control.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #60
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Tapping two times puts it in Comp mode, one time turns off T/C, press and hold for 5-7 seconds turns all off. Comp mode just reduces T/C and Stabilitrack end engages launch control.

Holy s**t man, I stand to be corrected AND you taught me something new about my own car lol. Much appreciated. Not too big a man to say I was wrong :-/
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #61
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Holy s**t man, I stand to be corrected AND you taught me something new about my own car lol. Much appreciated. Not too big a man to say I was wrong :-/

Old 05-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #62
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
Competitive mode, or all off at all times. Why you may ask? Because racecar.....
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #63
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:

Take the car out for a spin with everything OFF, 5-10 seconds holding down the button, and from a stop drop the clutch at 3,500 rpm's or so and keep an eye in the redline, way easy to hit the limiter while smoking the tires, and that my friend will be a serious burnout!

Difficult to do a good burnout in Comp mode, the nannies still kick in as they should since Comp Mode is all about getting the Best Lap/Drag times.

If you want to really test your skills, try 0 to 60 times in Comp Mode starting with Launch Control. Then for fun, try it with everything OFF. Very very hard to Launch effectively, tires really sticking, with everything off. Also much harder to keep her in a straight line. But it's Fun Fun Fun learning how to handle all that power!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #64
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
The ONLY time I push that button to turn it off is at Atlanta Motorsports Park cause turn 6 has some weird camber and other changes.

Other than that - no reason to turn it off cause it doesn't light up normally
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #65
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:

Did this the other day and did a nice burn out
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #66
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
I have a 2013 L99 so if I press & hold the button for 5-7 seconds it will turn off all nannies? I'd like to try this just for a nice burnout once....... I've only ever pushed it twice for Comp Mode. Does something show up in the DIC saying its all off now?

Cam
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #67
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Plus you PAID for it to do that job, why disable it? If it prevents me from a wreck by helping me regain traction faster than I could, why not let it? It hasn't turned on or cost anyone their lives, why not just have it on when you're driving down the road? When your on the track or having fun by all means turn them off, not saying leave them on all the time.
So consider this . . . assuming that your TC really is that effective (not all of them are, trust me, as mine is utterly worthless), it will also prevent you from discovering in the most benign manner just how slippery the going is. Wouldn't you rather get a little unexpected wheelspin when you start up from a complete stop than suddenly find yourself unable to get stopped in time or make a corner without leaving your lane (or the pavement entirely)? There won't always be enough grip available for the nannies to take much advantage of (especially important for you 1LE and ZL1 drivers on G:2 Goodyears).

Yes, that assumes you are paying attention to conditions as you drive, and that you adjust your driving accordingly. One of the reasons we have these nannies is because far to many people aren't even in the same time zone with respect to those skills.

The argument that 1960's cars didn't have the same performance as today's - implying that the risk was inherently lower - is only about half right. Suspension and tire technologies were both far below today's rock-bottom minimum standards, so your ability to cope with a sudden situation or even just a little too much carelessness was not nearly as good. I can remember from before more than a handful of cars could exceed 0.7 lateral g's on the skidpad. Today, nothing corners below that level unless the cornering g's are electronically limited via stability or rollover control logic.

The assumption that a human driver cannot make accurate enough corrections soon enough . . . well I guess that depends on circumstances.

Those of us with lots longer experience before nannies may well be better equipped to drive without them. Our reflexes may be a few milliseconds slower than a 20-something's, but I'm willing to bet that they're a lot more likely to be the right ones, in closer to the right amounts, and we might be just a bit less surprised when a mild spin in one direction suddenly snaps in the other direction right after you've caught the first direction.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #68
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
havent used the tc/st yet.. useless IMO.. useful if you're not experienced or if you hit an ice patch or something, i guess.

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #69
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I wouldn't count on them for much on ice. Not much grip there to do anything with, and as good as the nannies can be in many situations for the vast majority, they cannot create grip where it does not exist.

People assuming that the nannies WILL fix every possible situation (i.e. ice) scares me almost as much as following them and watching them go out of control anyway.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #70
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
...isn't the logic there the same as: if he had a '69 Corvette, he chose not to have any of those things even as equipment on the car, so he chose to drive a 2 ton bullet without even any hope of driving aids? I am not advocating reckless speed or trivializing death but I don't like the territory that legal precedent opens up.

You may reply or think "Hey jerk, the person died". Yes I understand that and it was wrong and inexcusable, no question. But we both know that the idea of turning off that equipment- which is not illegal to do- can easily be translated into other scenarios. You get a speeding ticket? You fight it? Oh, let's check the black box...nannies were off at 15 mph over the legal limit... Oh, so you weren't just speeding, you were intent on street racing, huh? And thus endangering lives too? I want dangerous fools like that Corvette owner put away too. But I also do not want to be categorized by something I am not due to the legal precedent that has been made.

For my part, it is my opinion that the LS3 makes wussy torque. 420lb/ft in a 4K pound car at 4600 rpm. That's yawntastic torque for a powerful V8. I grew up driving cars with over 500 lb/ft at 2200 rpm that were built before ABS and TC were even options, in cars with live rear axles that whip-sawed you back and forth like a shark making a kill if you weren't paying attention. I was never a danger. I also react to a skid faster than my nannies. I have found myself detecting a slide and countersteering while the nannies are on, before they turn on. Suddenly they kick in and my wheel is pointed into oncoming traffic because the car made a throttle input I didn't command it to or expect. I cannot "unlearn" the safe driving skills I learned over the last 25 years of driving RWD with much more torque than an LS3, 2400 rpm lower and with a flatter curve. Again, guessing what some responses may be, if that makes me Aryton Senna then I guess I am possessed of that skill and talent in a sea of mediocrity. I suppose the 'damn kids' today that learned about RWD as a mythic creature (like unicorns leprechauns and virgins) and the mouth-breathers that think the local highway is Le Mans need them because they don't know what to do when the car gives them the signal that there's a problem, and lack the common sense not to do stupid things to begin with.
I won't dispute that your old 455 has a better torque curve, but remember that the 510 ft lb rating was gross, and the 426 ft lb is net. In reality they're about the same. That said, I wish our cars made it lower down like the old big blocks did.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote