Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Get a ZL-1 convertible!

Ok...worst case, get an SS converitble.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
CPDSS

Drives: 2010 SS M6
If ZL1 is out of price range and you are considering a loaded 2SS coupe then an entry level 1LE is a no brainer in my mind. But only available in manual
CPDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Regardless of the engine you select (they are all quite impressive), I'm thinking you should get a ragtop so you can still be "in the wind".
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Well when it comes to reliability they hold up. I had my SS for almost 2 years now and haven't run into one problem. If you are looking for lower end acceleration like stated in your post then the automatic is the way to go, it has faster 0-60mph times, but if you like a manual then it all doesn’t matter [also like I said the auto is faster 0-60mph but past that the manual will catch up and win]... If you're in the market for a SS [V8] model then also do a little research on the different trims like 1ss, 2ss, and the RS package, they all offer different bells and whistles. Also welcome to the forum and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Some features for the v8:

V8 manual = 426hp, skip shift

V8 auto = paddle shifters, AFM, remote start.

and for the forum members let's not turn this into a V6/V8 or manual/auto battle and the whole ''what it takes to be a man thing.'' This isn’t what he wants to know.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
As an older guy, I think hearing a big 6.2L V8 rumble under the hood should bring back memories of the glory days. Because you have other vehicles for DDs, I would get the SS for the toy. As for the standard/automatic argument, your car, your choice. Dont try to please anyone but your wife and yourself (in that order lol). Im a 19 year old driver with 3-4hour commutes. A V6 automatic works great for me. (The fact that my car is pretty far from stock, helps quite a bit.)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
My suggestion: Get a 2SS. Even a used convertible 2SS would suffice. You'll still have a bumper to bumper warranty (most likely) If you can afford a brand new one then go with that. I think you'll appreciate the 2SS a lot. It's got the speed and sound that you'll love. (the only downfall is the terrible gas mileage: I get 10mpg)
10 mpg's!!!! thats terrible. Don't worry OP, most people don't get anywhere near that bad. Seriously, haha, how do you get that low?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #21

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen09 View Post
10 mpg's!!!! thats terrible. Don't worry OP, most people don't get anywhere near that bad. Seriously, haha, how do you get that low?
I believe it...lol...around town I quit looking...it's "bad"...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
ayyob83

Drives: Camaro SS 2013 / Tahoe LTZ 2009
if you like enjoying camaro ride and don't care about modding and speed V6 is your option
if you like modding and V8 growl and feels and some speed V8 is your option

and from previous experience the both V6 & V8 are great
ayyob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #23
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I grew up being told, it only takes a little more to go first class. With that being said, I would suggest nothing but a ZL1 convertible. It is by far the best driving and handling Camaro ever, hands down.
Glad to hear that you love the ZL1 convertible. Definitely a great recommendation!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
You know it's not the destination but the journey that matters!

Pick one, drop the top, crank the tunes, and go for it! Enjoy!

(former Harley owner here)
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
ZL1 ftw! You need to balance out the lack of carbon footprint for that Prius.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
Bandman45

Drives: Toyota Prius
Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions, I truly appreciate the candor and honest opinions.

For us it is about the journey and not the destination. Over the years of riding I've been in both camps -- let's get to the destination as fast as possible or let's stop and smell the roses and let's turn left instead of right. I believe not being in a hurry and FINALLY having the time/resources to do what we want to do when we want to has finally sunken in. I should have said earlier that mileage does sort of kind of matter (why else would we own a Prius) yet it's not the determining factor. A ragtop is the #1 priority.

A fight break out on a forum? No, can't be The only fights on the Gold Wing forum are: tires, oil, crush washers and politics. It's been that way for years and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts! Last funny story. One of my best HD buddies says "back in the day we would ride bar to bar, now it's buffet to buffet". I'm OK with that philosophy as long as we look good when we arrive :flag2:
Bandman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
If what you said is what you meant to say , get the ZL , acceleration even when you don't want the speed , it's all there
Just one other thing , don't go to the other side , stay with us ( CAMARO ) crew .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
so bandman what are your thoughts? you going with a V6, SS, or the ZL1 and what kind of add ons you looking at?
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote