Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #85
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I also have a 2021. Anyone know if Chevy has improved the starter and/or the ground wiring such that this is less likely to be a problem?
Well I can say they claimed to have fixed the window delamination on the 2020 cars and mine delaminated. So even if "they did", they might not have.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #86
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayLT1 View Post

I have a 2021, so not sure if this is still a potential issue for it, but good to know in case the car starts hard starting when hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I also have a 2021. Anyone know if Chevy has improved the starter and/or the ground wiring such that this is less likely to be a problem?
I can't speak to the 2021 for improved grounding. I do know that the starter part number has changed in the last year or so. The word from others is that the part number changed because GM improved the starter. I can't verify that other than there has been a part number change.

If either of you start experiencing hot start issues - at least adding a ground wire is an easy and cheap fix.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #87
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
All,

Went over to the storage unit today to let her blood circulate a bit and looked at where/how long to best put a cable. Using FX's water pump bolt idea, there's a nice path depicted in the photo here. Keeps the cable away from all the belts and hoses and would lay nicely right around the fusebox. 30" hole-to-hole will do it. There's enough space to lay the cable under the POS and all the other cables too, making it look more like it belongs there.
Attached Images

Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes

Last edited by TP2SS; 01-10-2021 at 03:53 PM.
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #88
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I looked several times for a different spot but could not find anything. So, I chose the tensioner mount bolt. It is not ideal since taking the bolt out all the way is a pain because if you do you are going to have to remount the belt tensioner and reset the belt tension. My solution to just notch the cable lug and make it U shaped to slide it under that bolt has worked very well. I have checked it several times and the cable stays secure. If anyone finds a better engine mount location - please share.
Hey thanks, I want to try this, I need some help....can anyone show more details on what "avoiding the tensioner mount bolt" means ? See the quoted message above....and has anyone found a better engine mount location like the message from SSDan is asking about?
Old 01-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #89
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-02 View Post
Hey thanks, I want to try this, I need some help....can anyone show more details on what "avoiding the tensioner mount bolt" means ? See the quoted message above....and has anyone found a better engine mount location like the message from SSDan is asking about?
You can use the bolt I used and it has worked quite well for a month now. It’s the upper mount bolt for the belt tensioner (watch the last video in my first post to see that bolt). The caution is to not take that bolt all the way out as if you do the tension will come off the serpentine belt. Plus getting that bolt back in can be a PITA! What I did instead was to back that bolt out just enough to slide the ground cable lug underneath the bolt and then tighten the bolt. To get the lug to slide under the bolt head I put the lug in my bench vise to hold it steady then using a hacksaw I cut a little hunk out to make the lug look like a U.

See post #71 for an alternate location that uses a bolt location on the water pump.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 01-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #90
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdxron1 View Post
This is the cable from gen5diy 20" you can route the cable under the fuse box this cable is a good length to use. Also I decided to double nut the terminal lug see new photo and I will also put a larger Fender washer on it today to cover the whole terminal

Thanks. I did it this way after seeing your post. The cable they sent me was only a little over 19 inches and wouldn't have reached the idler pulley bolt. Worked great.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #91
fxdxron1

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
There are several ways you can route the ground cable. I routed mine under the fuse box so that less of the cable is visible.
Attached Images

fxdxron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #92
moesSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have to disconnect the battery? Also, if one end is connected to a bolt where the tensioner is, how do you connect the other side? Sorry, I’m a complete noob at this but have had this same exact issue with my SS since 2016.
moesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:55 AM   #93
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesSS View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have to disconnect the battery? Also, if one end is connected to a bolt where the tensioner is, how do you connect the other side? Sorry, I’m a complete noob at this but have had this same exact issue with my SS since 2016.
Watch the last video in my first post. It shows you the connection point to the body. Its super easy as you are using the negative ground post that is already there. The nut on that post comes off very easily and there is plenty of room and thread on the bolt to connect the new ground cable.

And no - you do not need to disconnect the battery.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #94
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by moesSS View Post
Here you go...
Attached Images

Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #95
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Here you go...
Nice work! Your photo editing skills far exceed mine!

Thank you for taking the time.

BTW - my beastie is hyperblue with silver rally stripes too.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 01-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #96
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdxron1 View Post
There are several ways you can route the ground cable. I routed mine under the fuse box so that less of the cable is visible.
This looks nice.
Not sure what the incidence of this problem is. I don't have any symptoms yet. But nice to see members putting their brains to work!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #97
moesSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I just wanted to thank you all for your help. My 2016 SS had given me this hard start up problem ever since 2016. Magically, every time I went to the dealer it would start up right away. Today after installing the cable (I went the route of installing it to the water pump bolt) I took it for a 20 minute drive and drove it really hard. Put heat in the engine, came home, left it off for about 10 minutes and cranked it back up (palms were extremely sweaty at this point) and BAM!!! It started right up!!!! I would have NEVER tried this EVER if I didn’t know about this little cheat code! Hahaha! Thank you everyone!
moesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #98
RA1987

Drives: SS
I'll play...here’s what I did on mine.
Attached Images

RA1987 is offline   Reply With Quote