Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
10 Second Install - Custom Car Side Protector

At work my parking garage had 3 empty spaces which the Camaro parked in the middle of. Recently, a mid-sized SUV was assigned the spot beside me.
Had some left over parts from plumbing project and hot water heater install.
Built this custom car side protector for the Camaro. Takes less than 10 seconds to pop from trunk and install on the side of the car.

The bottom of the left pipe section connects to the top of the right section via CPVC pipe coupling.

At the bottom of the right section it shows end cap which keeps water out of pipe in case it is ever used outside.

Runs along the widest part/body line on to the back wheel flare.

Part list: 10 foot 3/4" CPCV Hot water pipe, Pipe Insulation largest size at Home Depot, Tee, two 90 degree elbows, coupling, end caps optional, soft rope.

The size of the protector makes it easy to fit in the trunk. The middle pipe coupling is only glued on one side - the other joint side without glue connection allows pulling the two halves apart in a second. Added a thin plastic rod near the mid-joint to ease pulling the two sections apart (last picture at bottom left).
Ron

Last edited by ron123; 09-08-2015 at 06:53 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
i admire your ingenuity and passable obsession with avoiding paint dings. They will appear at the worst times :( Its why I avoid the student parking lots at college, too many crappy civics with worse owners
Old 09-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I like it. Ghetto as hell, but wicked functional. Reminds me of my window shades!!

Good luck with the dings - looks like they don't stand a chance now!!!
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Nice. Very creative.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Nice!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
lol

This ranks up there with aluminum foil in your house window to cut down on heat. Works but it's looks like hell.

You should try some of these:

https://www.zl1addons.com/index.php/...rguards-detail
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
$inferno
Trust No One

Drives: 94 Camaro Z28 & 2010 Camaro 1LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
lol

This ranks up there with aluminum foil in your house window to cut down on heat. Works but it's looks like hell.

You should try some of these:

https://www.zl1addons.com/index.php/...rguards-detail

They look better than the round tubes that I have seen online. They used magnets also. Thank You for posting them!

2010 Camaro 1LT V6/A6
94 Camaro Z28 A4
$inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Well.... at least no one will steal them.

As long as they work, doesn't really matter how they look. I'd be worried that someone might try to ding the car just for spite.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I may have to hack this. Will use something else for the hangers that won't scratch after repeated use.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Looks good, but from a detailers point of view, I wouldn't use this on a dirty car. The bare PVC pipe on the doorhandle can scratch/rub. The foam material itself isn't soft enough, the rope probably isn't soft enough either.

Any amount of wind blowing it around will lead to some scuffing, magnified if there is already any dirt/sand on the car.

Still possible for some doors to come in under that foam.

Not knocking it, those are just the cons I see.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #11
EnzoR

Drives: 2012 1SS6M
Awesome!
EnzoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
If that was my assigned spot I would request a different one. Nothing screams "go ahead and rest your door on my car" more than that device.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #13
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Thanks for all the feedback ...
The final version of door handle hook piece does have 3M foam tape wrapped on it to eliminate the possibility of any scuffs behind door handle from repeated use (and clear Xpel on car). The tape was left-over from conversion van running board treads I cleaned and re-attached on another vehicle.

The main pipe insulation is a much softer variety compared to what is found on the swimming pool noodles (that type is rough). Home Depot sells various softness levels in this black/grey color depending on taste and what thickness of padding is desired. Think there are 4 choices.

The rope is super soft and chosen out of my stock because of that.

This device I only use in the parking garage at work - no wind in there (even in wind I don't think it would move around).
Car is kept very clean, have other options for parking but really like this enclosed parking garage best, $10/month subsidized, won't reveal all security in place

For the one vehicle that started to park beside me in assigned spot a few days ago, I've already checked out their door and no chance of it hitting the Camaro car body when the device is on.

Will see how much longer luck holds, bought this (second) Camaro new in December.

I'm really careful with trying to prevent scrapes and dings, full-sized conversion van just sold after 14 years with no dings on the door sides.
Panel metal is in same condition they left the factory in. Same with 1st Camaro.

Often take the motorcycle when I know I'll be about town in congested areas and limited parking options. When going to stores, etc. in cars, I park out in the middle of nowhere.
At Camarofest for Chevy Factory Tour, my son and I parked Camaro in the last row all alone in the end of parking lot. When returned from the tour, found dozens of Camaros all had landed nearby like a flock of Geese. Posted pic of that in the Camarofest forum (someone commented they were acting as a protective buffer).

Next trip is to Shark Tank, if they invest maybe can get a Z28 with the profits to use as a demo vehicle, ha ha!
Ron

p.s. This is Flowgaurd yellow CPVC, 3/4" hot water pipe left-over from house plumbing project. The cold water white PVC will likely work as well but the PVC pipe and fittings are slightly larger not sure how well that would fit behind door handle (did not try it, I do not use white PVC for indoor plumbing supply lines).

Last edited by ron123; 09-09-2015 at 06:43 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Nice repurposing of leftover parts. I just have one question, in the form of the immortal words of George Carlin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Had some left over parts from plumbing project and hot water heater install.
Why would you need a hot water heater?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote