Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Tag great write up. I agree with you 100%. Like someone else said, I wish I was home so I could drive mine. Only 26 more days then I will be home again.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
TAG -

Great write-up. The 5th gen is a Grand Slam, Home Run. GM really knocked it out of the park on this one and Mike and his Team Camaro guys put it all together the RIGHT way !!!

Thanks for the 4th gen comparison and review.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Great review TAG'. I guess I won't be looking into adding SFCs to this car now, LOL. I bet the more you run that baby in, over the next couple thousand miles, the better it will feel yet! After only sitting in a 2SS this week, I can see where you're coming from on the interior and feel.

I can't wait to finally get mine

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
so when you coming to SC?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #19
myblackcamaros

Drives: #156 ZL575, 97 SS, 87 IROC-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th02ss View Post
Very well written Tag.....Although I've not had that much seat time in a 5th gen I can tell you the change that got my attention was the cockpit. The designers did such an awesome job with this. Funny how you mentioned the knobs and controls. GM spent alot of time on the fit and feel...

Dam I want to go home and get that thing out of the garage now!!!!!!
Me too, I'm trying to keep the miles off but I want to drive the freaking tires off this thing!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
enjoyed the read.

Only got to drive my sisters for 6 miles this past weekend.... but it felt good. I can't wait to feel my car.

Did you mention somewhere else that you turned the AC on and the Seat heaters? How did that work out for you?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
volboy23

Drives: an SS.....
Great write up. I can't wait to drive one. I got the chance to sit it one and was amazed by the comfort and the feel of the interior.
volboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #22
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
The top end on this car is where it's at. From 70 on up in 3rd, this car SCREAMS. You could EASILY get this car from 80 to 130 in no time (not that I'm saying I've done that.....just saying....). It pulls like the 4th Gen in the top end AND THEN SOME. For those of you who like to bracket race and always had the other guy in the opposite lane pull out in front of you only to have you chase him down in the end......yeah....and then he turns around and says, "I had no idea how much pull that LS1 has in the top end! It just doesn't stop!!!" Yeah...the LS3 gives those same results...BUT WITH EVEN MORE PULL. It is INCREDIBLE.
:
Doug, it's so funny you said that. I got my car last Thursday evening after flying home from work in Wyoming. After my trip down the Oregon coast to see my daughter and grandchildren on Friday, I headed back to Wyoming on Saturday. By the time I got somewhere west of Billings, MT, my car had a bit over 1000 miles on it in different conditions. I had been driving 75 to 80 and getting 23 mpg. To this point I had not had the car over 80mph.

So anyway, while driving through Montana, I looked over at my girlfriend and ask, "wanna see how quick it will go from 80 to 120?" She didn't say a word, just nodded her head yes. So since i am not in law enforcement, I can admit to this. I grabbed 5th gear and floored it, at 120 I backed out for a moment and thought, why not 130? So back to the floor with the throttle, I didn't really time it, but it didn't seem like more than ten seconds. I was watching the speedo more than the tach, but the tach wasn't much over 4500 at 130, in 5th gear!! WOW. The power band is amazing, the pull was still increasing while approaching max HP and still had rpm left over and another gear. In the right place and right conditions, this car is probably capable of around 190. I hit the brakes back down to 80 and it seem as if I was going 40. It was very quiet the whole time and very smooth. I did do this on an interstate with no traffic in front of me, so no risk to others. I just thought it too funny those were the same numbers you posted. Hypotheticly of course.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #23
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Hello Tag. Excellent write up. Glad you had a safe/fun trip.
I am an owner of a 4th gen Camaro and can relate to "exactly" some of the points you pointed out here. One would be the "cockpit" feel of the 4th gen. Not too crazy about it, but not too bad. Next, would be the "hump" that the passenger would have to "sit" on if they wanted a ride. lol And lastly would be the trunk. There is actually a trunk in the 5th gen. (Not like I drive my 99 HO SS anyways, so I don't run into these problems.) All excellent points that you hit on.
After reading your review, my mind is still torn between a '69 Camaro that will get the full pro-touring treatment or a 2010 2SS/RS. I know the LS3 is a dynamite engine. (What LSx engine isn't, right??) Man decisions, decisions!!
Thanks for the review. Welcome back!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #24
InfernoOrangeSS
VERITAS AEQUITAS

Drives: 2012 IOM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Well, the wait is finally over...and after putting 2,100 miles on my new SS over the past week, I can say that I'm thoroughly impressed. Now, where in the world to start....

I LOVE IT. 100% LOVE IT.

You really out did yourselves!

I am glad you are loving your new Camaro! I am hoping to get one maybe early next year.

InfernoOrangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Nice report. I can't wait to sit in one myself to check out the seat comfort.
You shouldn't be dissappointed if you like firm seats. They are firm but very comfy. I drove 1250 miles back to Wyoming and never got uncomfortable, except when I forgot to take my wallet out of my back pocket.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #26
racert33
waiting for white

Drives: vertically challenged 95 c/k
nice review tag

how would you compare how the driving controls feel. like the steering, brake and accelerator pedals.

last weekend i spent 18 hours sharing driving duties in my brothers 4th gen and loved the firmness and feel in each of those areas. i hope the 5th gen is more of the same
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Nice you also need i shifter for the car and the CAI from Vararam.
Bring it on, man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
enjoyed the read.

Only got to drive my sisters for 6 miles this past weekend.... but it felt good. I can't wait to feel my car.

Did you mention somewhere else that you turned the AC on and the Seat heaters? How did that work out for you?
Yep. Turned on the AC to see how cold it got. Dude...it got cold. And then I turned on the seat warmers. They got HOT. You see, I'm the type that likes it freezing in the house, but with the bed warmer on. Man, I could have fallen asleep in that car in no time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Doug, it's so funny you said that. I got my car last Thursday evening after flying home from work in Wyoming. After my trip down the Oregon coast to see my daughter and grandchildren on Friday, I headed back to Wyoming on Saturday. By the time I got somewhere west of Billings, MT, my car had a bit over 1000 miles on it in different conditions. I had been driving 75 to 80 and getting 23 mpg. To this point I had not had the car over 80mph.

So anyway, while driving through Montana, I looked over at my girlfriend and ask, "wanna see how quick it will go from 80 to 120?" She didn't say a word, just nodded her head yes. So since i am not in law enforcement, I can admit to this. I grabbed 5th gear and floored it, at 120 I backed out for a moment and thought, why not 130? So back to the floor with the throttle, I didn't really time it, but it didn't seem like more than ten seconds. I was watching the speedo more than the tach, but the tach wasn't much over 4500 at 130, in 5th gear!! WOW. The power band is amazing, the pull was still increasing while approaching max HP and still had rpm left over and another gear. In the right place and right conditions, this car is probably capable of around 190. I hit the brakes back down to 80 and it seem as if I was going 40. It was very quiet the whole time and very smooth. I did do this on an interstate with no traffic in front of me, so no risk to others. I just thought it too funny those were the same numbers you posted. Hypotheticly of course.
Now.......hypothetically, of course, drop it into third, get those rpms' to redline, and then shift to 4th BUT KEEP GOING...and it'll keep going and going and going....with NO end in site! Again, hypothetically of course!

I can't wait to take it to the track and get some video of what this baby is capable of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
nice review tag

how would you compare how the driving controls feel. like the steering, brake and accelerator pedals.

last weekend i spent 18 hours sharing driving duties in my brothers 4th gen and loved the firmness and feel in each of those areas. i hope the 5th gen is more of the same
Steering is GREAT. NO sounds...heck, steering in both cars were great. I really don' think there is any problem with either of them. No complaints either way and not one outdid the other.

The braking in both cars were great. Seeing as though the 5th Gen is heavier and the brakes have to work harder, I'd say the Brembos work harder and do a better job. I have not really stomped on the brakes in the 5th Gen and really don't plan on it if I don't have to. They feel great. Brakes in both cars were wonderful.

accelerator pedals in both cars are about the same too. Nothing different really in either. I mean...both have good throttle response and both feel "firm," if you could understand.

-----------------

On the other hand, I do need to try to duplicate this again.

I was driving at about 50, slowed to about 30 to 25 and while letting go of the brakes, did a hard right. As I turned, I felt a stiff, almost grinding feel in the steering wheel. It almost felt as if something were touching the steering shaft under the hood. I stopped, looked, and nothing was even close to it. Strange. That got me thinking about the brakes...

I have no idea...but it was weird. I'll have to duplicate it again if I can.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #28
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Great review...can't wait to finally see it!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote