Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Kooks full exhaust install issues

Hey all, I got another thread sort of about this issue. But figured a new thread better titles would get more help.

So I have installed my 1-7/8 long tubes, with my "cat" pipes on. So headers on and torqued, cat pipes attached at ball sockets and before sliding on the x-pipe, the pipes are different lengths.

As you can side my driver side one sticks out 1/2 farther.
Took both cat pipes off and they are exactly same length.
They should be equal in order to get the x pipe to slide on fully on both pipes ...
Ideas?
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Dupontdon24

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Call Kooks!
Dupontdon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
I keep seeing more and more kooks fitment issues, hmm.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
Hey all, I got another thread sort of about this issue. But figured a new thread better titles would get more help.

So I have installed my 1-7/8 long tubes, with my "cat" pipes on. So headers on and torqued, cat pipes attached at ball sockets and before sliding on the x-pipe, the pipes are different lengths.

As you can side my driver side one sticks out 1/2 farther.
Took both cat pipes off and they are exactly same length.
They should be equal in order to get the x pipe to slide on fully on both pipes ...
Ideas?
Hello,
I do not beleive the headers are the same length. The picture below seems to show that to a degree. We have sold a lot of theses systems with no complaints about fit. The parts are made in a fixture. The way that works, is it holds the part at each end while it si welded. If the pipe is not long enough, it will not fit in the fixture.

That said, a full exhaust has a TON of adjustability in it. Things like adjusting how far the slip fits are slid in, rotating over the axle pipes, and all kinds of other things effect how a system fits. We often spend way more time adjusting an exhaust when installing than actually putting on the car. Even if made wrong (and I doubt it is), that difference in length should should not be a show stopper. We have worked with way worse from other manufactuers here.

Quote:
I keep seeing more and more kooks fitment issues, hmm.
I am on the forums as much as anywhere...and not sure where this is coming from. I can find posts of issues installing pretty much every brand of headers if I want. Now Kooks is not perfect...no manufactuer is. That being said, we sell a lot of their headers...as in, hundreds...and in 4 years, we have replaced less than a handul of headers. It is one of the best warranty rates we have.

Most of the people who do have issues and post here are fixed after the proper tech support without replacing parts. Also, it is important to keep in mind that many people post about the same same more than once..(as is the case here).

We want all our customers to be happy, and honestly, we drop lines that have unreasonable warranty issues. Kooks is not oen of them.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Caswell239

I did a fair but of searching and couldn't find anyone with issues with here kooks. I'm in no way dissing kooks. I'm just looking for help to make it work! I don't see how to adjust it tho. When I slide the x pipe on it bottoms out on left hand pipe, but not fully on rh pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Hello,
I do not beleive the headers are the same length. The picture below seems to show that to a degree. We have sold a lot of theses systems with no complaints about fit. The parts are made in a fixture. The way that works, is it holds the part at each end while it si welded. If the pipe is not long enough, it will not fit in the fixture.

That said, a full exhaust has a TON of adjustability in it. Things like adjusting how far the slip fits are slid in, rotating over the axle pipes, and all kinds of other things effect how a system fits. We often spend way more time adjusting an exhaust when installing than actually putting on the car. Even if made wrong (and I doubt it is), that difference in length should should not be a show stopper. We have worked with way worse from other manufactuers here.

I am on the forums as much as anywhere...and not sure where this is coming from. I can find posts of issues installing pretty much every brand of headers if I want. Now Kooks is not perfect...no manufactuer is. That being said, we sell a lot of their headers...as in, hundreds...and in 4 years, we have replaced less than a handul of headers. It is one of the best warranty rates we have.

Most of the people who do have issues and post here are fixed after the proper tech support without replacing parts. Also, it is important to keep in mind that many people post about the same same more than once..(as is the case here).

We want all our customers to be happy, and honestly, we drop lines that have unreasonable warranty issues. Kooks is not oen of them.
Quote:
I did a fair but of searching and couldn't find anyone with issues with here kooks. I'm in no way dissing kooks. I'm just looking for help to make it work! I don't see how to adjust it tho. When I slide the x pipe on it bottoms out on left hand pipe, but not fully on rh pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I never said Kooks made a bad product, all I said was that I keep seeing more and more fitment issues.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
They don't need to be equal, it doesn't matter. The pipe will fit fine, put the thing together and stop thinking about it, because it does. not. matter.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Call Kooks. Similar thing happened to a buddy of mine with his. The X pipe was made incorrectly by some idiot they hired. Kooks solution was to cut the pipe. This happened about 3 months ago. Sorry Maryland Speed, his was a fitment issue and he bought his setup from you. Not your fault, just some buddy sleeping at the wheel in manufacturing. I'm not saying this is the same issue, just Kooks has had fitment issues and they admitted it to the shop that did the install. They sent him a friggen T-shirt and wall poster for spending extra time dicken around to make it fit.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Caswell239

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429 View Post
They don't need to be equal, it doesn't matter. The pipe will fit fine, put the thing together and stop thinking about it, because it does. not. matter.
It does matter because it doesn't slide together all the way. The pipe is slit on the sides, so if it doesn't slide on all the way, it's just an exhaust leak.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
it will slide in plenty enough.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
hahaha
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Fishdadddy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ; 1970 Firebird Formula
Slide it in as far as you can and make the adjustments further down the line as you go.

It will cover the slits and it will be fine.
Fishdadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
Caswell239

So I slide the xpipe on and it was still too short on passenger side. So I got a dead blow hammer and tapped the back of the xpipe until the slits where good. Gotta get underneath to recheck all the clamps now I've put a few kilometers on but I think all is well. Guess I just didn't think I should have to hammer it on...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Canada.......nuff said!!! Lol

Jk youll be good!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote