Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #43
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not at ALL!! If 4-cylinder turbo engine gets put into a much lighter Camaro (a 4 cylinder 6thgen could weigh as little as 3300lbs) it'll absolutely FLY. It's possible it would be even faster than our current 6 cylinder.

Don't let the number of cylinders fool you. GM's turbo-4 has a LOT to offer. In Cobalt and Sky/Solstice applications, it even has an available factory power-boost tune that translates to well over 300 ft/lbs of torque and almost 300hp...all while achieving over 30mpg.

(I still want my V8, that we'll apparently be getting...but don't discount the possibility of a 4-banger...or try to compare it to that "Iron Duke" misfortune)

People....this is all a rumor....and a 4-year out rumor at that. But listen closely....

The Camaro Team cares just as much or MORE than you do about Camaro. They are keenly aware of where it's roots are, where it stands today, and where it should go in the future. They are more in touch with the enthusiast than any car of any brand anywhere. So please "keep the faith" as we did when the 4th gen went on hiatus.

Keep the Faith that the Camaro team will do right by the enthusiast and deliver an equally-outstanding next-generation Camaro that they've brought us in the 5th gen (or better!).

And to their continued existance.

It would be hard, because that would require further modification of the Alpha chassis to support it. That equals more $$$, and from what I've heard, this platform isn't what you'd call "cheap". It's supposed to hold Cadillacs, mind you.......They take that "Standard of the World" slogan VERY seriously over there.
Amen brotha.

Sorry, I'm about to spit out my random thoughts:

I'm very excited to see what the C6 holds in store for us. I was suprised to see they called it as being MY 2016 before we see the C6 Camaro. Yeah, its only 5 or 6 years after the current gen which is the way product cycles seemed to go before, but I could have sworm I read that now they were going to speed up product cycles by a year or two if they could.

If the car ends up being at least a couple hundred lbs lighter I'd be satisfied. If it was 300+ lbs lighter I'd be really delighted and surprised!

If the car ends up being light enough, that a beefy N/A 4 cylinder car can get it around decently, then I'd see a real possibility for the V6 and V8 offerings. But if the base 4 is turbo charged then I highly doubt we see a V6 UNLESS they do a turbo V6 as the SS and a V8 for the ultra-premium models...but I'm not sure I see a turbo V6 as being in an SS just yet. 7th gen...I can see it since more us "youngins" will be more accepting of a non-V8 engine in an SS camaro. I know most don't care, but I'd LOVE to see what a slightly more powerful, fuel efficent V6 like the LLT could do in a 3,400 lb Camaro. With some gearing, it would be awsome. Just search youtube for the 2011 mustang V6 with only a tune and gears (stock tires) doing a 13.1 quarter miles. Awsomeness.

Car should be smaller, but don't be scared when that word "smaller" is thrown around. Its not going to be the size of a dang Aveo people....I'd bet closer to 4th gen size, but maybe roomier than that.

Anyways, enough from me....
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #44
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I just want to know what it'll look like.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #45
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'm very excited to see what the C6 holds in store for us. I was suprised to see they called it as being MY 2016 before we see the C6 Camaro.
Everything will hinge on how well the 5th gen is doing around that time. If it's still selling well, they could probably take a little more time. If it's not, they may need to rush a little bit. You've also got to consider what they plan on putting in the car. I imagine it won't be parts-bin stuff for such a high profile vehicle...so that could take time to develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteele View Post
I just want to know what it'll look like.
HOT.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #46
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Weird. 4cyl-V8? Kinda odd to skip the 6cyl altogether However, I'm all for a slightly smaller, more spritely version of Camaro. Would be refreshing as a driver to be able to work with the car instead of always battling its weight in one way or another. Bring it on, just make sure it REMAINS CAMARO!

I'd also like to point out the colossal failure of 4-cyl Camaros in the past. They're really gonna have to change up the tune of that song if they want it to get rotation...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #47
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSokie View Post
A smaller camaro?...no thanks!
One of the reasons I haven't bought a 5th gen was the mass/weight. A smaller/lighter Camaro has a lot of appeal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@showstopper View Post
If it's significantly smaller and has a 7 speed manual then I'm out. When will they quit adding gears to cars? Next will be an 18 speed Allison in the vette.
The current 6 speed is basically a 4 speed + two overdrives. Another gear nestled in between would benefit performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
From the report:
"According to sources the V-8 engine option will be reserved for a premium model, perhaps SS or Z28 thanks to impending CAFÉ legislation".

Translation: the V8 will be in short supply (and high cost) due to the CAFE legislation. GM will no doubt push the 4 banger Camaro in large numbers to meet the CAFE of 36mpg by 2016. The last 4cyl Camaro was in 1982.
Folks, the future is bleak..keep the gen 5 SS going!!!
That was my fear when I read that. I may be thinking old school, but I don't care how much power the 4 or 6cyl's make. If I can't get a V8 for around $35K, then I won't buy one.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #48
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
Glad I bought my 5th gen because I doubt that I'll be buying a 6th gen after reading that. CAFE sucks!
With any luck the EPA will be defunded by then and we will have abundant choices of inexpensive fuels and energy sources by 2016.

People are figuring out they have been duped.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #49
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
4 banger. Hope they put a better exhaust system on it, hate the sound of a stock V6 now, can only imagine what a 4 cylinder might sound like!
Right? Dont be surprised if they bring out a Camaro Hybrid.

All i know im keeping this one forever also and will get a 6th gen if it a V8. Just wondering how it would look. Dont think it will be that much of a difference of the 5th gen. Might be more rounder or triangular....idk.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #50
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
are they planning a hybrid for the 50th anniversary?
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #51
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
These guys know as much about the Camaro as a retarded monkey does. I forgot to mention, I was talking about the 5th gen. Who knows how much less they know about the 6th gen.

Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #52
KMPrenger

This was posted elsewhere, but thought it fit nicely here:

2014 ATS engine spec sheet (of course I can't say it is "confirmed")
http://www.motorauthority.com/image/...ats-spec-sheet
Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #53
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
This was posted elsewhere, but thought it fit nicely here:

2014 ATS engine spec sheet (of course I can't say it is "confirmed")
http://www.motorauthority.com/image/...ats-spec-sheet
It's confirmed as being untrue.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #54
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's confirmed as being untrue.
Oh, well its still fun to spread around right? lol

As I said to you in a different thread...your part of the cadillac design team right? (sorry, maybe thinking of a different user here)...so spill the beans!!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #55
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Oh, well its still fun to spread around right? lol

As I said to you in a different thread...your part of the cadillac design team right? (sorry, maybe thinking of a different user here)...so spill the beans!!
Haha I wish. I'm just a college student who happens to be a staff member at GMInsideNews.

ATS is one of those cars that GM is being super tight-lipped about...which is a good thing.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #56
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
For those seriously concerned about 8-speed automatics and smaller V8s, I suggest you trip on down to the Lexus Store and have at an IS-F...5.0 L with 416 hp + under 3800 lbs (the Camaro will be even less...) + 8-speed paddleshift slushbox = easy 12s off the showroom floor...and laptimes @ VIR roughly = to the CTS-V and '11 Shelby GT500 in Car and Driver's recent 20-car shootout...

Benchmark that for Gen-6...with even more from the next-Gen Z/28...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote