Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I don't have any up/down movement.. It's just towards center section and wheel hubs.. I can move them enough with a noticeable clunk when they impact the sides on each direction.. This car has been clunking ever since they went in and just got louder with each suspension bit in the rear.

I know these cars are just chattery in the IRS, but it's starting to concern me and with string of various issues I've been having here the last year, I don't want to end up on a tire at a track and have the rear come apart.

But, they're not yours.. I do appreciate the response.. I left a message with Frank @ DSS, but these are Hendrix-Engineering... The axles themselves are very solid.. It's just the left/right movement that shops keep pointing out to me just made me ask.
My hendrix axles move like yours, but they're dead nuts quiet in the car. Your problem may be elsewhere
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
My hendrix axles move like yours, but they're dead nuts quiet in the car. Your problem may be elsewhere
Maybe... I'm running out of places to check though.. LOL... Already had the suspension out like 3 times and validated...
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
With all the vendors and sponsors on this site, there has to be a dozen Gen 5's on the lifts at any given time every day. More than just one response is needed to validate the data.

We have some one doing it today.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
Erik@lashway

Drives: Camaros, Vettes, Trucks
I have a 2007 Z07 that I own. Not a 5th gen, but IRS none the less. Some movement is normal as the fit between splines and the diff are not an interference fit. However, the space between splines should not be much at all. Normally, endplay and runout will be normal, even with aftermarket axles. The guys at DSS and others who manufacture these parts can probably chime in on what acceptable endplay and runout is, but I would guess less than .005" for both in any direction.

I would also think that the angle of the shaft in relationship to the differential will also have an affect on movement, but I do not have any testing to back that up.

Truthfully, I have never had an issue when installing half shafts, stock or aftermarket. I guess I am a lucky one!

Erik
Erik@lashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Thanks man. I really appreciate the help..... I'll follow up once I get the pieces all installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
im sorry i haven't called, i stayed late last night to look this over. i pulled the prints for the part. i also pulled several new ones off the shelf and 2 Factory stock inner also.

after checking all the dimensions our inner is identical to the stock one except for the profile on the snap ring, what i did find was a little disturbing eas this.

I took both our inner and the Stock Factory inner and put them into a Diff we have in stock and it seems both sides do the same thing, i know you said one side was tight but we have both our inner and the factory inners in after there installed and put all the way down there is about .200 play in and out on both (stock and ours)
Quote:
p.s. i just remembered when we used to do the 8.8 kit for the GTO depending on the diff we would some times have to add a small spacer on the end of the spline
so it met the bar in the center of the diff so this would not move.

i would like some one with a Factory set of axles and rear to put it up in the air and confirm this play is there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
I'm in the same boat with my 1000hp axels.

Quote:
We have some one doing it today.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Ended up not replacing anything. Apparently what I'm seeing is normal.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote