Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsanf21 View Post
Is it worth the money to upgrade from the SS to the ZL1? Should I just put the money into my car, or trade my car in and spend a lot more for the ZL1? Never driven one yet.
The OP's question is pretty wide open.

I've modded 2 SS's and then did the switch to ZL1. Money wise most will tell you to mod your SS and that is pretty sound advice. My SS was faster than the Z but had no warranty.

So, is it worth the money to upgrade... depends on what you want out of your car. Will you be modding the ZL1 down the line? My intentions were to mod the ZL1 without the need to upgrade axles, transmission, suspension and other things you get into when modding the SS. There are less weak links to mess with on the ZL1. But comparing a stock ZL1 to a modded SS you will probably come out ahead money wise in a straight line drag by modding the SS.

Now I'm contemplating the same thing w/ the Z/28. It's a never ending circle..
Old 06-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #30
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
traded mine for a zl1...never looked back...its a totally different car... no comparison. you have to drive one to see for yourself. good luck.
jashobbsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #31
DJ-Silver 2SS
Ah DJ-IOM ZL1 haha

Drives: 13 IOM ZL1 M6 & 10 SIM 2SS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-Silver 2SS
I have a 10 2SS/RS and love it, then I bought my 13 ZL1, and kept my 2SS. I know not everyone can have both, so IMO, I love both cars for different reasons. The SS is fun, sounds good, and drives like a pony car. It's fun to play around with in town and on the track. My ZL1 is exhilarating to drive. It is a streetable track car that is mild mannered when you keep from slamming the hammer down. If I had to keep only one, I'd keep the ZL1 for all of the upgrades.
2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09
DJ-Silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #32
chiefchump

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange ZL1
I've had muscle cars since 1963. My ZL1 is an engineering marvel! No complaints, however 20 cent a gallon gas (again) would be nice, lol.
chiefchump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
Simple diff is this..

zl1 suspension can do EVRRYTHING well. My car has the completely stock suspension the road race guys brag is so good (im just a average turnandburn kind of guy) but will go 1.51 60' on 20 tires.

The differential and axles on the zl1 are all but unbreakable, which you will never hear anyone say anything like that even with aftermarket parts in a ss say.

the auto trans inthe zl is way stronger.
The brakes are way better.
the motors have similar strength, the ls3s rods are not as strong but guys have made a ton of power, but the blower is standered on the zl.
The fuel systems on the zl will support 650-700hp.. not even close on a ss

These are just the basics... add up those things and come to a conclusion. ..

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #34
Brownster

Drives: 1966 GTO Convertible/ZL1 Vert
Why would you ask such a question and then state you have not driven one?
Brownster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #35
Bsanf21
Love me some Camaro's!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Just wondering. I like to get every info on everything before even test driving a car. Need to do the research.
Bsanf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #36
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Well, I can tell you this. I had a 2011 2SS/RS Vert and traded it in on a ZL1 Vert when they came out.
Is the ZL1 a lot more money? Sure it is, but I'm here to tell you that it's a WHOLE different car. all covered under warranty and designed from the get-go to be driven hard and raced and while still under that warranty.

Was it worth it in my opinion? It sure was.

Others will tell you you can put less money into modding your SS and end up with similar performance. HP-wise? sure. Overall performance, I don't think so.

Plus, when it comes time to sell the car, you'll get a far better return on your investment with a ZL1 than you would with a modded SS.
Well said Tim---Bottom line go drive one and you will see the difference!

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #37
SSpade22

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (Twin Turno 418)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorZL1 View Post
The guys that cannot afford the ZL1 will say stick with the SS
This is a very ignorant comment, and from a wanna be elitist….

My SS will take down a ZL1 with about 60% throttle, maybe less. How you ask, because I put a good amount of money into it. It’s not about “can you afford it”, it’s a matter of taste. I wanted to build my car, not spend the same amount for a slower car.

The guys who can’t afford a Bugatti Veyron will say the ZL1 is better, how’s that for stupid and ignorant. If your so loaded you'd be in a ZR1 or some other super-car! but your on the ZL1 forum :-( boo for you

This would be your point of view sir :-) hope you can read
Attached Images

Power-gilde transmision
LSA WCCH Ported Heads 1400hp Axle Shafts DSS
FORE Dual pump FIC 2000cc Injectors
Twin Garrett 53s

Last edited by SSpade22; 07-01-2013 at 08:24 AM.
SSpade22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #38
StoutSnout

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade22 View Post

My SS will take down a ZL1 with about 60% throttle, maybe less. I wanted to build my car, not spend the same amount for a slower car.

Pot/Kettle Who is being elitist? No need to get so defensive about your purchase. If it makes you happy, then WGAF about the cost comments?
StoutSnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #39
FireCracker
Banned

Drives: a car
Hmm.. This escalated quickly

Anyways...

I just own a wee little V6 I love the SS and the ZL1, but it really comes down to preference. If you like modding a lot and what not I say stick with the SS, but there are so many other factors to upgrade the the ZL1 if you'd want to.. Such as, warranty is up, problems with the SS, or simply you don't want to mod but still want more power.. I think you should test drive a ZL1 and decide if it's the car for you. People call me crazy for picking my V6 instead of the SS I was looking at, but it's whatever, I like what I like and so does everyone else Ignore the money comments, makes no difference in your decision. Definitely go try one out though
FireCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #40
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
The comment was not meant to be elitist or ignorant, it is just my opinion. When I drive my ZL1 I get stopped all the time by Camaro drivers that love my car. When I drove the V6 I never once got stopped by a SS or a ZL1 owner. I love all types of cars new and old v6 to 12. To call me names because you do not like my opinion is.

Definitely not a wanna be elitist. Comical.
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #41
FireCracker
Banned

Drives: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorZL1 View Post
The comment was not meant to be elitist or ignorant, it is just my opinion. When I drive my ZL1 I get stopped all the time by Camaro drivers that love my car. When I drove the V6 I never once got stopped by a SS or a ZL1 owner. I love all types of cars new and old v6 to 12. To call me names because you do not like my opinion is.

Definitely not a wanna be elitist. Comical.
Really?? I've had my car for only a month now and I have
FireCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #42
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade22 View Post

My SS will take down a ZL1 with about 60% throttle, maybe less. How you ask, because I put a good amount of money into it. It’s not about “can you afford it”, it’s a matter of taste. I wanted to build my car, not spend the same amount for a slower car.

The guys who can’t afford a Bugatti Veyron will say the ZL1 is better, how’s that for stupid and ignorant. If your so loaded you'd be in a ZR1 or some other super-car! but your on the ZL1 forum :-( boo for you

Not trying to enter into your verbal sparring with the other members but please explain what happens when you run against a "modded" ZL1? I am sure you have read the many posts of ZL1 owners doing modifications to their vehicles? Not a lot to do to make it "perk up", most likely similar mods as to what you have done on your SS. When you state "take down" are you referring to a 1/4 mile race? What about around a road course? The problem with modding any car is once you add the up receipts it's usually more than the car you thought you couldn't afford. I knew from the first week I had my ZL1 that I would start "modding" it.

Regarding your statement about what one can afford, It is about affordability. It always has been always will be. I recall when I was younger in my 20's and used to see the "old guys" driving around in Vettes, and Ferrari's and hate on them. I was always a step below what I wanted to buy. Now over 30 years later I am one of those "old guys" and can buy whatever I want. The reason? I'm divorced!!!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote