Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Disable stock sound tube

Is there an easy way to essentially disable the sound tube without actually removing it? I know some of the aftermarket cold air intakes have versions that permit you to completely remove it but for now I'd just like a way to bypass it. I was thinking if you disconnect it from the firewall and put a plug or cap on the firewall side do you need to also cap the tube side as well?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
what is this sound tube you talk about?
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Do the 4-cyl Camaros and ZL1 have a plug in the firewall where the SS sound tube would go? We can use that if there is a part number.

Last edited by WhyUMad1LE; 02-14-2017 at 01:10 PM.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Is there an easy way to essentially disable the sound tube without actually removing it? I know some of the aftermarket cold air intakes have versions that permit you to completely remove it but for now I'd just like a way to bypass it. I was thinking if you disconnect it from the firewall and put a plug or cap on the firewall side do you need to also cap the tube side as well?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You would need to cap the firewall, Roto-Fab might sell you their cap if you asked. And you need to cap the stock tube whole. I am assuming you could cap it off, but it is an odd fitting.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 AM   #5
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Just curious why one would want to disable the sound tube in the stock or aftermarket intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #6
Dysan911

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Just curious why one would want to disable the sound tube in the stock or aftermarket intake?

Personally for me I think it ruins the true sound of the car. I run my NPP exhaust in track mode so I can hear my throttle just fine while rolling through the gears but then say I want to speed up even more when all of a sudden the sound tube kicks in unnaturally up front and just doesn't sound very good to me at all.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Old 02-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post

Just my opinion - why do you want to hear your engine? I want to hear my exhaust or my stereo not my engine. If I have a supercharger then maybe I want to hear it but not the ticking of the engine (Jk, you don't really hear the ticking from the sound tube).

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners

Last edited by sub_ETCS_ret; 02-14-2017 at 08:25 AM.
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Jeremy Clarkson said something about this a few years ago on Top Gear. I forget what car it was, but he mentioned that it was so nice being able to hear the air intake and engine of a car for once, instead of just the exhaust.

When I put an OTR (Over The Radiator) intake box on my G8, I could all of a sudden hear both the engine AND exhaust. It sounds MUCH better.

Kind of like when you are listening to a guitar solo, and then all of a sudden a bass guitar joins in. You liked the regular guitar, but the bass provides a great backdrop sound that only enhances what the guitarist is doing.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Jeremy Clarkson said something about this a few years ago on Top Gear. I forget what car it was, but he mentioned that it was so nice being able to hear the air intake and engine of a car for once, instead of just the exhaust.

When I put an OTR (Over The Radiator) intake box on my G8, I could all of a sudden hear both the engine AND exhaust. It sounds MUCH better.

Kind of like when you are listening to a guitar solo, and then all of a sudden a bass guitar joins in. You liked the regular guitar, but the bass provides a great backdrop sound that only enhances what the guitarist is doing.
I think it's personal preference. The only time I want to listen to my engine is when it's making noises that it shouldn't be. When I hit the gas the only thing I want to hear is a loud ass exhaust note.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
At least it's natural unlike the silly soundtrack other companies program into the stereo system.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
Dysan911

It doesn't sound natural to me. It's like an intake gurgle pulsing sound that just suddenly comes on like a switch at heavy throttle conditions.

The natural engine/exhaust note comes in and grows in volume as one would expect based on speed/RPM, etc.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
Sleeks

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post

It was the E46 M3 CSL. I had an E46 M3 and I put the CSL intake on it. It absolutely roared, especially approaching 8K RPM. Totally different engine sound than these V8s. In that car, I could care less about exhaust noise and I just wanted intake engine noise.

Of course, internet youtube videos don't do this justice, but here is an example.

The sound tube in this car doesn't really do much in my opinion.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I use mine to run wiring for my front sensors to my control unit for my jammer. It was one of those things that I thought was pointless in the car until I noticed how it easy it made it to connect everything lol.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #14
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
At least it's natural unlike the silly soundtrack other companies program into the stereo system.
Yes x1000!!
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote