Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #15
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I have no plan to buy a Silverado anytime soon, but I'm happy to provide thoughts on what I think a good pickup is and one that might actually change my mind.
I'd be more prone to buy a Silverado or Colorado hearing from people who have seat time behind the wheel and not someone speculating...

If doesnt know a current models handling, feel, nuances, issues...
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
HuJass

Drives: GM
More aggressive/muscular body work (with creases and lines and edges) that is shared with a 1LE.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #17

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
I am curious what everybody wants to see in the next ZL1 or Z28? I personally will be happy with a ZL1 with the LT4 and MRC. Let me know what yall think?
I'd be happy to see for now simply an official announcement that they plan to even build those models.

We don't know how far the SS is gonna be optioned up yet, and there's only one other power-plant still to use....

Who knows...Maybe like Mustang's GT350, the ZL1 or Z/28 may just be another 5-6k add-on to the SS....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #18
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I find it interesting that people who have never owned...let alone driven and have no intent on buying either a Z28 or ZL1 comment on what they want to see in a 6th gen.
As the owner of a 2012 ZL1 and a 2015 Corvette Z51 I guess I can give an opinion.

ZL1- LT4, 6 piston Brembos with 2 piece rotors in front and 4 piston Brembos and two piece rotors in the rear. Optional carbon ceramic rotors. Electric Recaros with memory, 6 speed manual with rev match. 8 speed auto with rev match and additional coolers. Magnetic shocks, electronic rear diff. with cooler, integrated rear spoiler, PDR with Nav., massive heat exchanger, brake cooling ducts, powder coated forged wheels. Color HUD, Apple Carplay. Voice recognition that actually understands me. Really good music system.

** NOTE ** Having tracked my ZL1 with manual and Corvettes with 7 speed w/rev match and the 8 sp. auto, know that the 8 speed auto will heat up and 30 minutes sessions are about as much as the 8 speed can take (Corvette Z51). If you plan to track, go with the manual unless additional coolers are added. The rev match manual is wonderful on street and track. The 8 speed auto is great on the street. **

Z28 - NA LT1 engine in the 500 / 550HP range, 6 piston Brembos with 2 piece rotors in front and 4 piston Brembos and two piece rotors in the rear. Optional carbon ceramic rotors. 6 speed manual with rev match, electronic rear diff., hydraulic shocks with optional Magnetic shocks. manual Recaros standard, 19" squared tires with powder coated forged rims and PDR. As many engine,trans, and diff. coolers as possible. If possible, take another 100 pounds out of the car. Michelin/Goodyear tires standard and Toferos as an option.

Last edited by OldJedi; 05-29-2015 at 10:14 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #19
Doomsday

Drives: Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
More aggressive/muscular body work (with creases and lines and edges) that is shared with a 1LE.
Yup!
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #20
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
As the owner of a 2012 ZL1 and a 2015 Corvette Z51 I guess I can give an opinion.

ZL1- LT4, 6 piston Brembos with 2 piece rotors in front and 4 piston Brembos and two piece rotors in the rear. Optional carbon ceramic rotors. Electric Recaros with memory, 6 speed manual with rev match. 8 speed auto with rev match and additional coolers. Magnetic shocks, electronic rear diff. with cooler, integrated rear spoiler, PDR with Nav., massive heat exchanger, brake cooling ducts, powder coated forged wheels. Color HUD, Apple Carplay. Voice recognition that actually understands me. Really good music system.

** NOTE ** Having tracked my ZL1 with manual and Corvettes with 7 speed w/rev match and the 8 sp. auto, know that the 8 speed auto will heat up and 30 minutes sessions are about as much as the 8 speed can take (Corvette Z51). If you plan to track, go with the manual unless additional coolers are added. The rev match manual is wonderful on street and track. The 8 speed auto is great on the street. **

Z28 - NA LT1 engine in the 500 / 550HP range, 6 piston Brembos with 2 piece rotors in front and 4 piston Brembos and two piece rotors in the rear. Optional carbon ceramic rotors. 6 speed manual with rev match, electronic rear diff., hydraulic shocks with optional Magnetic shocks. manual Recaros standard, 19" squared tires with powder coated forged rims and PDR. As many engine,trans, and diff. coolers as possible. If possible, take another 100 pounds out of the car. Michelin/Goodyear tires standard and Toferos as an option.
Your ZL1 signs awesome. Sign me up! I am waiting for the ZL1 as well and will definitely get the 6 spd manual.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #21
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
ZL1 L88 6.2L, TVS 2300 SC, boo-coo cooling, carry over gen5 brakes, rear and M6 trans, mag ride, 285 front, 335 rear tires, wide body

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #22
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I find it interesting that people who have never owned...let alone driven and have no intent on buying either a Z28 or ZL1 comment on what they want to see in a 6th gen.
Funny you would say that... The Z/28s of old (3rd & 4th gen) weren't anything special compared to the 4th gen SS. If there was an 2003-2005 Z/28, I would have had one in the driveway.
The current Z/28 @ $75k before dealer markup is a bit ridiculous, I understand what Chevrolet has in it, but ceramic brakes, forged wheels and steerable track tires should have been optional. Had it been, I likely would have that in the garage a and wait for local GT350s to hit NJMP.
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #23
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Wider body, wider tires and wheels, a more aggressive rear spoiler. Sport competition seats like the ones on the stingrStStingray, a more aggressive hood look.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #24
Obsessed 17

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
How do you know the SS 8L90 won't have rev matching? Has that been confirmed?
From this Thread: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409099

It says "Active Rev Matching (SS Manual)" under Intelligent Performance Section.
Obsessed 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
708hp
Hopefully GM doesn't go there. Shooting for 1 more HP would just have Fiat going to 709. Yes, fun for enthusiasts. Just don't like GM wasting resources for a number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahdir View Post
Z/28
550 NA hp
Rear seat delete
Radio delete
Recaro seats
6 piston front calipers
Improve Ring time by no less 5 seconds

ZL1
LT4 655hp (underrate like the Hellcat)
Retractable rear quarter windows (like vert) on coupes
Unique headlamps
All good except for the dropping rear quarter glass. A true hardtop would be tough. But MB does it so not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Z28 with LT7 ~ 550 hp and another 100 lbs lighter than ss.

Zl1 with lt4 ~ 650 hp. Try to keep weight gain less than 100 lbs.

Hellcat is sae certified it makes within 1% of 707 hp every motor every time. Calculating drivetrain loss is even more inaccurate at 700 hp lol. No discussion this is fact.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Z/28
LT6 - 525 hp, 500 lb ft
15.4" two piece rotor with 6 piston front, 14.4 two piece rotor, 4 piston rear brakes
Square tires on 19" forged wheels
Performance Data Recorder
Full aero
Recaros
Yep 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
ZL1, give us the LT4 from the Vette, and bump the power on the Vette.

PLEASE put some darn front parking sensors so we don't mash our splitters so easily?

8-speed automatic.
Yep 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed 17 View Post
Bullet proof engine with positive displacement supercharger (e,g everything forged), Carbon fiber drive shaft, carbon fiber half shafts, Rotary Forged wheels (11" all around), 8L90 with rev matching (not currently on ss), most advanced magna ride (like on ats-v) but with height adjustability to dial in the perfect stance, electronic differential like on vette, long tube headers with 3" adjustable catback exhaust, recaro seats, dual fan heat exchanger, weight loss, aero work, looks !@#$@ incredible, and price around 55k.
Had me right up the $55K part. You've put some pricey CF bits in the drivetrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
LT7
Yeah, baby!!!!

Quote:
I'd be more prone to buy a Silverado or Colorado hearing from people who have seat time behind the wheel and not someone speculating...

If doesnt know a current models handling, feel, nuances, issues...
Point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I'd be happy to see for now simply an official announcement that they plan to even build those models.

We don't know how far the SS is gonna be optioned up yet, and there's only one other power-plant still to use....

Who knows...Maybe like Mustang's GT350, the ZL1 or Z/28 may just be another 5-6k add-on to the SS....
GM won't play their hand this early.

The only real question that impacts this discussion is the powertrain. Does the Z/28 need to be NA? Likely will be as the powers that be seemed to have favored this when the Z/28 became the ZL1. But the Z06 is now SC so that may indicate a different direction.

The current Z/28 is pricey for only a simple reason. It had to be faster than a ZL1 at the track. The necessitated using the very, very wonderful and very, very, very expensive LS7 along with CC brakes. With just the LS7, the car probably would only be equal to the ZL1 on the track. So the brakes and tires along with the several hundred pounds make the difference.

So if GM does do an LTx NA engine then how will GM actual make it faster than an LT4 powered ZL1? Lighter weight and better brakes is about the only remaining play.

If GM puts the LT4 in the Camaro as expected then you basically have two takes on the same car. One which can be fully optioned, the other focused on track only mass reduction and more brakes.

I am hoping for a NG LS7 (LT7 as mentioned earlier) that is high revving NA at 525 plus. Keep in mind the LT1 only gained 30 HP over the LS3 so hoping for a 50 + HP increase in an LT7 would be perhaps too much to expect.

Assuming this engine is not hand built and expensive like it's predecessor, put the money into CF hood, front fenders and decklid. Take a technology flyer and try CF doors. Drop at least anther 150 pounds from the SS. A tough task and not cheap.

Add CC brakes, added cooling and aero.

And make it cheaper than the GT350R.

BTW I believe the 1LE package will be offered and I believe that will trounce the GT350

Here is a question..........should the Z/28 cost less than an ZL1?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #26
Thebeezwax

Drives: Has 4 wheels
no z/28 anymore.... was a flop!

I think the new 1LE will replace it with a power increase of about 40hp... then go to the ZL1 for 650 LT4
Thebeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #27
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeezwax View Post
no z/28 anymore.... was a flop!

I think the new 1LE will replace it with a power increase of about 40hp... then go to the ZL1 for 650 LT4
It was not a flop in terms of engineering and performance, but GM did grossly overestimate the demand for it.

The issue is that the Z/28 historically has been tied to the Mustang. The 67 Camaro Z/28 was a reaction to the GT350 Mustang. The Boss 302 was then a reaction to the Z/28, etc etc.

The big issue here is that when Ford reintroduced the Boss for the 2012 MY it was closer to the model put forth by the original Boss; a high revving small block with primarily suspension and other chassis modifications.

What we have now as the 1LE option on the SS is the closest was have now to the original Z/28. I think that is where Chevy messed up, and extremely badly. Z/28's were always affordable to the every day worker, the new Z/28 is not.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #28

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Ok...a wild guess here...

No 1LE....optioned up SS with all the goodies aces out the need for a 1LE...

ZL-1 gets the current LT-4....

Z/28 goes full tilt track with.................the TTV6!.....It would be a good way to introduce the TTV6 as the engine/wave of the future....

As No.3 mentioned with the Supercharged Z/06, all bets are off....and anything is possible...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote