Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-07-2024, 04:32 PM   #1807
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
It's worth mentioning hurting Rivian's chance to hang around as a Ford or gm goal. But the topic does sound like c.y.a. speak from the MBAs.

Is there any talk of US manufacturers pursuing battery swapping? One of the China companies does it. I imagine there'd have to be an American consensus standardized pack size or two, to cover luxury and premium crossovers, and other segments use dc charging or back off from BEV.
Battery swapping gets mentioned but not really studied. Most western OEM EV platforms use the battery pack as a structural member. In that instance you can’t just randomly swap them in and out. Also it would require some level of standardization of pack design as well as the vehicle interface. Can they do it? Sure if they tried hard. Will they do it? Super unlikely. Especially with battery charge times reducing with each generation.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:02 AM   #1808
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Blazer EV to re-launch; Rivian reveals 3 new models

A lot going on in EV world this week.

First, GM has apparently fixed all the production and software problems with the Blazer EV and are now about to continue the launch of what is one of the two most important EVs in their portfolio. The other being the Equinox EV which is still way behind schedule.

The other important thing is, as they relaunch it, they are dropping the price on some trims by as much as $6,000. This puts them right about where they were at at the product reveal. Since the product reveal they’ve raised the prices $6 - 10k depending on which trim you’re talking about. This latest move steps that back a bit. https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-resumes-sales

The other thing is Rivian has revealed the R2, the R3, and the R3X. The R2 is about the size and appearance of a Bronco and starts at $45,000 for a single motor RWD model. Bronco starts at $39k and goes up to $70k, $90k for a Raptor. The R2 also offers two and three motor options. I expect the 3-motor setup will likely be aimed directly at the Raptor. Output and pricing for the 3-motor have not been discussed yet. Keeping in mind that the average transaction price for a new vehicle in the US in 2023 was $48k, R2 is not outrageously placed.

Then Rivian unexpectedly revealed the R3 and the R3X. They are Bronco Sport / Escape sized SUVs and will also be offered in 1, 2, and 3-motor variants. The R3X is expected to be the higher performance (Raptor-esque) trim. These three vehicles are very important to Rivian’s survival. Rivian is at the same point in their company cycle that Tesla was at after the launch of the Model X and before the launch of the Model 3. Bleeding money and clocking time until they can get their lower priced, high volume product on the street to stem the cash bleed. Time will tell.

https://electrek.co/2024/03/07/rivia...cheaper-price/
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-09-2024, 10:59 AM   #1809
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I am pulling for Rivian.

I am also pulling for GM to get their act together. Their EV products look good on paper, but reality has been disappointing so far.

I won't consider Rivian for another 5 years at the minimum. As you say, they are at the same spot as Tesla was in 2017. I want to see a healthy company before I consider going into it.

My track record for cars is not very good when it comes to them surviving after I purchase them. First car, 2007 Saturn Aura. Saturn dies 2 years later. 2017 Camaro SS was next purchase, Camaro dies that generation. So far Tesla is doing well after my Model 3 purchase. We shall have to see how my next purchase fares in the coming years. I don't want to be blamed for this historic nameplate getting killed off. It would be worse than Camaro dying.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:51 AM   #1810
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
I am pulling for Rivian.
I can't get over how dumb the front end looks. I realize that's personal preference, but yuck.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:15 AM   #1811
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I can't get over how dumb the front end looks. I realize that's personal preference, but yuck.
For some reason, every time I look at the front of a Rivian I see this guy…
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2024, 03:28 PM   #1812
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:58 PM   #1813
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I'm pulling for Rivian too. Also not a fan of the signature front end. Looks like two giant USB-C ports for charging, or something.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:47 PM   #1814
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

I’m pulling for them. They have some really nice products and some cool innovations (gear tunnel for example). And because Tesla needs a solid competitor. Hyundai / Kia could shape up to be a solid competitor and so could GM. But Tesla needs competition from someone who thinks like them.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:29 AM   #1815
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I really hope Rivian sticks around too because the R2 looks like it could be a solid front runner to replace the wife's Explorer in a couple of years.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:32 AM   #1816

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I like the Rivian look. Good for them coming up with something unique. Immediately recognizable as a Rivian and as an EV.

EVs are different, and should look different. I think the Rivian look plays well. Their vehicles just look "solid". My $.02.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:46 AM   #1817
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Dog Mode; Electric V-Series

Gonna try to lighten things up a bit today with a couple unrelated topics.

Dog Mode
Tesla started it in 2019 but Rivian, Lucid, and Nio have also picked up on it. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if all EV manufacturers add Dog Mode, and maybe even Camp Mode to their list of functions.

Dog Mode leaves your cabin at whatever temp you set it at and displays a large, highly visible note so that bystanders can quickly recognize that your pet is not in danger of being left in a hot car.

https://youtu.be/0uhWHimmev0?si=cHid6E_q3bwRYM2v

Electric V-Series

Cadillac has launched this teaser…
https://youtu.be/er8My5ga75w?si=NzYPfzAXLJ3I3R7F
Attached Images

Last edited by Martinjlm; 03-14-2024 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:58 PM   #1818
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

This is lengthy discussion but I think it's one worth watching. Full disclosure I am a fan of the AutoLine broadcasts, both the daily 10 minute shows and the 1 hour Thursday afternoon shows. This is last night's 1 hour show.

Topic - "Who Will & Won't Buy EVs"

https://youtu.be/HBGyaNVzppw

Old 03-16-2024, 02:42 PM   #1819
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This is lengthy discussion but I think it's one worth watching. Full disclosure I am a fan of the AutoLine broadcasts, both the daily 10 minute shows and the 1 hour Thursday afternoon shows. This is last night's 1 hour show.

Topic - "Who Will & Won't Buy EVs"

https://youtu.be/HBGyaNVzppw
It was interesting. Mostly buyers demographics. I was surprised so many apartment people buy EVs. The big guy didn't say much but what he said seemed correct. Like his joke about suggestion of building full size EV cars "oh yeah that non-existent segment of buyers in the existing ICE market" My thoughts exactly when he suggested investing $$$ in that vehicle. He also had a point about "EV muscle cars" but they quickly shut his conversation down on that, they should have talked about it. Sort of how the 2 row SUV was not exciting to talk about unless a Rivian despite being the best selling EV model. Should be about Butts in Seats and not what's exciting like a Cybertruck that only sells a relative handful.
I think a better small segment would be a compact pickup. I can't say it too emphatically because it would be my second choice of a BEV but I'm like the majority in that a small SUV fits my use better and what I actually buy now so a small pickup would have to be outstanding to get my $ but it could.
Edit: I just bought Tesla stock this morning. It has been beaten down lately and the company still makes large profit on each vehicle sold. The downside is if the big 3 ever get competing products that prove themselves in the dealers? Tesla doesn't update the exteriors and interiors often. Buying stock is always a gamble so I prefer established companies that are making a profit not those that are in the red and lemmings run up the stock price on a pipedream. I cross my fingers Elon won't do much to damage the company or invest it's money in crazy risky crap.

Last edited by silversleeper; 03-19-2024 at 11:55 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:47 AM   #1820
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
I watched it on their own site https://www.autoline.tv/after-hours/...-wont-buy-evs/ The video ran better embedded there than actual YT.

They could have went more nitty-gritty on the odd findings. The higher multi-family EV take rate might not be apartments generically, maybe newer construction town homes (built to accommodate level 2). The guest mentioned public charger visibility/comfort for metro areas, but it would make more sense if it was workplace charging. He did mention one characterization as an "altruistic" mindset to BEV.

Do the hosts give guests questions before the show to prepare for? The guest was very polished, similar to a pollitcal pollster actually working toward moving opinion.

McElroy made some good points. He didn't go as far as saying some of those driver characterizations are revoking benefit of doubt or trust. Closer to the old Bill Hicks view of marketing. Gary's rhetorical $7500 toward real muscle purchases, shines a light on the undermined buyer leadership of the market.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote