Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-19-2024, 01:44 PM   #1
LarryD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual Trans
Front Suspension Issue?

So, my car is the 2010 2SS LS3 and Manual Transmission. I have been hearing kind of a high pitched howl for some time but unable to locate it. Thinking it may be a front end wheel bearing, I lifted the front off the ground to do an oil change and while it was up I tried to check for wheel bearing play. Didn't find any but instead I found that I could wiggle the front wheels left and right. They both move together (wouldn't expect them to move at all) and I hear a bit of a tapping sound at the end of the motion like something hitting a bracket hitting somewhere. The wheels were pointed straight ahead. I don't see any linkage movement but I do see the struts rotating a little with the movement back and forth. The car just turned over 100,000 miles yesterday. Anybody have any ideas as to what the sound is and if the little bit of motion back and forth (maybe a quarter inch) could be??? Thanks..
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:53 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Power steering racks don't typically lock wheels to no movement side to side so does seem likely to be the problem. More of a problem of one wheel moved and the other didn't. You didn't say anything about under what conditions you are getting the howl, but maybe engine accessory bearing?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:26 PM   #3
LarryD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual Trans
I am old school so don't know much about steering racks. Both wheels move the same wiggling either wheel. The steering seems fine but maybe a little pull to the left. I did notice I have some tire wear looking like I might need an alignment.

The howl sounds like speed related and noticeable as soon as I start driving. I didn't think about an engine accessory bearing. The AC compressor was replaced about 10k ago so I doubt it would be that. I will get a probe and check for noisy bearings on the other accessories.

Thanks.
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:05 AM   #4
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I found that when I jack up my front end and wiggle the tires side to side, I get the same sound coming from my steering as well but I discovered it was just the joint in the steering linkage on the shaft that goes to the steering wheel, so I think you're ok there. I have put 170k miles on my wheel bearings without a problem but that's not to say that your environment couldn't be harsher than mine.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:34 PM   #5
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
The howl sounds like speed related and noticeable as soon as I start driving.
[/QUOTE]

If you only start hearing the noise once you start moving its not engine related, You would start hearing the noise after you started the engine just sitting there. Jack up the front with the wheels off the ground and spin up the wheels by hand and listen to the bearings. GL
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 06:22 AM   #6
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Mine howled like hell and when they were changed all was well

It was also hard to define where the noise was coming from.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote