Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 09-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #15
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
The wheels look great - they are on my wish list.

Question: Are you able to have your speedometer recalibrated if you change to a different tire size that has a different diameter?

Bill
Yeah, bill, I’m not an engineer .....I wouldn’t know if it can be recalibrated.
so a diff of 2 mph at 60 is not important to me...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
I have a call into the dealership and I'll update this with their answer.

The rear OEM size = 275/35/20
Replacement rear size = 295/35/20

Calculates to a 3.7% difference based on diameters from TireRack - to some it might not make a difference, but to me it does - I can't help that I'm an engineer.

Bill
Keep us posted. Again, i know on Jeeps and other off road vehicles where people dramatically change the size of tires commonly, there are several products that allow you to recalibrate especially since gearing is often changed along with tires.

Not sure how much of a market there is for the same type of tuner on camaros when the most that will likely change in a tire swap would be 1/2" or so in height. Not like going to 35" tires on my wrangler! LOL
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #17
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Yeah, bill, I’m not an engineer .....I wouldn’t know if it can be recalibrated.
so a diff of 2 mph at 60 is not important to me...
I'm a bit embarrassed - it's an even small difference than I posted previously - about 2%, and at 60 MPH it's 1.22 MPH difference - the speedometer would indicate you were doing 60 MPH when you would actually be doing 61.22 MPH.

I'm going to correct my original post.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #18
wrankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post
Keep us posted. Again, i know on Jeeps and other off road vehicles where people dramatically change the size of tires commonly, there are several products that allow you to recalibrate especially since gearing is often changed along with tires.

Not sure how much of a market there is for the same type of tuner on camaros when the most that will likely change in a tire swap would be 1/2" or so in height. Not like going to 35" tires on my wrangler! LOL
I just spoke to the service manager about re-calibrating the speedometer for different size tires. He told me that they can re-calibrate the speedo as long as the tire size is one that is offered by GM on the Camaro. So if you are interested in the 1LE and ZL1 tire sizes, then you should be good. I believe he mentioned downloading the info from GM and reprogramming the TCU with this new info. I am deferring the tire replacement decision until next year.

Bill

Last edited by wrankin; 10-12-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #19
wrankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post

Quote:
I just spoke to the service manager about re-calibrating the speedometer for different size tires. He told me that they can re-calibrate the speedo as long as the tire size is one that is offered by GM on the Camaro. So if you are interested in the 1LE and ZL1 tire sizes, then you should be good. I believe he mentioned downloading the info from GM and reprogramming the TCU with this new info. I am deferring the tire replacement decision until next year.

Bill
Had another conversation with the service manager about re-calibrating the speedo. Apparently for them to re calibrate, you have to order the wheels and tires from GM, otherwise they claim there is a liability issue.

Bill