Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
DashCommand and octane maps

I have DashCommand, a GoPoint BT1 bluetooth OBDII scanner and a 2010 Camaro SS that I suspect is not giving me all the power that it should. Years ago I had it on 2 diffent dynos and it was about 280-290 HP at the wheels.
Rather than pull fuses and hope for the best, I'm trying to see if my car is currently using the low octane or high octane tables.

From my research, the Knock Retard and Knock Learn Factor should be at or near 0 if using the High Octane table. The standard $10 version of DashCommand doesn't seem to have the Knock values that I need. Do I need to buy one of the GM addons for DashCommand to get the Knock PIDs that I want to see? Is there a different iOS product that I can use instead of DashCommand?

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
If you already have the OBD Bluetooth try downloading the app called Torque, it is only $5 and there is a free version also, I use it on android but they have it for IoS also.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I don't think you can tell from KR tables whether you are using high octane or not. Can you pull timing numbers from your scanner? You can try to cross reference with a timing table.

Most likely your car is using a hybrid of the tables, using the values that it deems to work the best. Pulling a fuse WILL put the car into the high octane table. Then if there is knock it will pull timing, then if there's still knock it will try the low octane table for that part.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
According to this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256551
user IndeedSS1 logged Knock Learn Factor, Main Spark - Timing Advance and Main Spark - Knock Retard using his HP Tuner device. He then filled his tank with 87 octane and logged again over several hundred miles and saw how the data changed. Looks like Knock Learn Factor should be at or close to 0.0 when running high octane.

I want to log this data myself to see what how my car is behaving now and then pull fuses and compare.
Ultimately my question is, is there an iOS app that can log Knock Learn Factor or Knock Retard? It looks like Torque for Android can, but I don't have an Android device and I'm not sure my GoPoint BT1 OBDII will even work with Android.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote