Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #57
DeliveryMan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It was a bigger jump for me to spend the money on the 2SS (I was expecting it to be priced like the 2015 Camaro's), but for the price it comes with a lot of things so I didn't need to mod. Like the NPP and the summer-only tires for starters.
I had to have the car, but again most of us on here are the automobile enthusiasts, and some of the casual customers is what builds up the bulk of sales.

The Camaro doesn't have the LS option like the Gen5 did....but the Gen6 LT1 is only about $2,000 more than the entry level Mustang. Not sure if that is where the Camaro is lagging on sales.

It seems that the price of the SS's is what is pushing some consumers who don't modify their cars right into the Mustang GT and the Challenger R/T...not too sure, just an observation.

Don't throw me off the forum but honestly I would have bought the loaded Pontiac Firebird if it was still around. Ofcourse it would have been a Camaro underneath, but I prefer less ppl owning my car.
DeliveryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #58
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Considering the only incentives is the 0%/72 months for the Camaro( designed to clear out 2016 inventory) and is not included in the 20% off sale Chevy is offering could be a sign they are happy with the sales numbers.

The next few months will be the big tell because if Camaro sales remain in the ~5-6K range and GM isn't happy with those numbers, we will be seeing more incentives. That would be the only indication( outside of them coming out and directly saying they are disappointed with the 6th gen sales) to us outsiders of how happy GM is with the Camaro's performance.
It's only 2 months of bad sales. Its not time to hit the panic button yet. The first few months I think people (myself especially) were expecting it to have a big jump much like the Mustang did, maybe not to those levels but jump at least. Sales for the most part remained consistent.

this is what makes it interesting for me

Now we have May and June, historically strong months for the Camaro sales wise. These were the worst May and worst June for the Camaro since coming back. Average sales in June from 2010 to 2015 were 8119 cars. Even if they were expecting lower volumes, I don't know if they were expecting 40% less. Why that is what I want to know. The car is superior to its competition, its superior to the car it replaced, why isn't it flying off the lots? Especially in what has been historically strong months for the car, why did it put up its worst May and worst June?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #59
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
It's only 2 months of bad sales. Its not time to hit the panic button yet. The first few months I think people (myself especially) were expecting it to have a big jump much like the Mustang did, maybe not to those levels but jump at least. Sales for the most part remained consistent.

this is what makes it interesting for me

Now we have May and June, historically strong months for the Camaro sales wise. These were the worst May and worst June for the Camaro since coming back. Average sales in June from 2010 to 2015 were 8119 cars. Even if they were expecting lower volumes, I don't know if they were expecting 40% less
I'm not panicking. So far the only incentives for the Camaro is to clear out the remaining 2016's and the Camaro is not included in their 20% 2016 sale could be signs GM could be fine with these numbers.

Just saying incentives would be the only indication of how happy GM is with these numbers and saying the next few months will be telling. Because as others have pointed out, no one besides GM knows their volume targets, etc. It is worthless to go, " GM needs to hurry up with that emergency MCE!!!!" or " Lower the price!!!!!!!". It's funny how one member said the visibility issue was the reason for the poor sales. If that was the case, the 5th gen wouldn't have sold that well either.

I agree that it isn't time to panic yet.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #60
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
I'm not panicking. So far the only incentives for the Camaro is to clear out the remaining 2016's and the Camaro is not included in their 20% 2016 sale could be signs GM could be fine with these numbers.

Just saying incentives would be the only indication of how happy GM is with these numbers and saying the next few months will be telling. Because as others have pointed out, no one besides GM knows their volume targets, etc. It is worthless to go, " GM needs to hurry up with that emergency MCE!!!!" or " Lower the price!!!!!!!". It's funny how one member said the visibility issue was the reason for the poor sales. If that was the case, the 5th gen wouldn't have sold that well either.

I agree that it isn't time to panic yet.
As one of the minority views here on visibility, it was noticeably better in the 5th Gen. But it's not just that one attribute. It's a smaller trunk, a smaller back seat. GM went to a smaller architecture to reap the HUGE performance gains, and they were BIG. But there were trade offs going to Alpha from Zeta. And if you want a size comparison, I could shoot a picture from my garage with our ATS and SS sitting side by side. Big difference in size.

So are we simply seeing that in that segment people aren't willing to pay for the better performing car? Or as some point out, pay MORE for the better performing car?

This is all good discussion, but when GM made the car smaller with less trunk space and less rear seat room did they just drive a few people to the Corvette? Or Mustang, which in most reviews is a better DD due to the trunk space and visibility?

The Camaro is a GREAT performance car. That doesn't mean people will line up to buy it on performance alone. Clearly people are looking for other things, even if it's just a lower price.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #61
American Legend

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomies View Post
Not surprised at all. A good example happened to me back in May when I went a local Ford dealer asking about pricing on a GT premium performance pack that they had on the lot. With Costco pricing which many people can get I was told $37k. Then went to look at a Camaro and the least expensive 2SS was $45k and had no Costco pricing and not willing to haggle. So for the average consumer what do you think they would choose? The average consumer could also care less about the performance pack so you can then get a GT premium for $34.5k with Costco pricing without even haggling on price.

+1. Agree.
Plus take into account that the Mustang tends to appeal to a wider audience.

The fact that a 9 year old platform Challenger outsold the Camaro in June screams that there are issues in camp Camaro.

Dropping the price $6,000 would obviously help.
American Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #62
SF Giants

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
The general public has no idea its a new car...
I think this is a big part of it. It's quite obvious that there is a new gen Mustang out there. It's not nearly as noticeable between the gen 5 and 6 Camaro. The average person doesn't know about the differences under the hood or in the interior of the car. They notice the exterior of the Camaro and they see the same old car. Granted, the Challenger is an aging design too, but the retro styling has a longer shelf life.
SF Giants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #63
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
It's the price DORKS!!! Too high and no incentives like Mustakes and Challengers....
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #64
quikag

Drives: 2SS '16 Camaro
As mentioned above, if Chevy was REALLY concerned about the sales volume, they could do more incentives. Obviously, they haven't been that concerned.

Something I haven't seen mentioned and I don't know the answer, but what is the capacity of the plant building this car? I know it's a Cadillac plant and they build other models. They may have intentionally lowered volume and increased price point because they could only build so many of them realistically.

Either way, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for ANY Challenger, Charger, or Mustang.....okay, MAYBE a Hellcat for equal money, but in the real world, the Hellcat is $15-20k more.

Also:
2010 ZR1
2018 GT3
2013 LX570
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #65
NinjaBum

Drives: NA
Price really is the factor here.

I picked the Camaro because I liked it more and the Mustang, more or less, had the same engine my 4 5.0 S197s had. If the Mustang had a 450 or 460hp output I would have possibly gone that way.

I love my Camaro but it was a huge PITA to get even the deal I did on it. Most Chevy dealers didn't even bother trying to hide the fact they would only settle for bending me over the rail and giving it to me.

I spent $7500 more on the Camaro so that should show how much more I liked it. If I never had a 5.0 Mustang I could see taking the savings and running though.
NinjaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #66
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryMan View Post
It was a bigger jump for me to spend the money on the 2SS (I was expecting it to be priced like the 2015 Camaro's), but for the price it comes with a lot of things so I didn't need to mod. Like the NPP and the summer-only tires for starters.
I had to have the car, but again most of us on here are the automobile enthusiasts, and some of the casual customers is what builds up the bulk of sales.

The Camaro doesn't have the LS option like the Gen5 did....but the Gen6 LT1 is only about $2,000 more than the entry level Mustang. Not sure if that is where the Camaro is lagging on sales.

It seems that the price of the SS's is what is pushing some consumers who don't modify their cars right into the Mustang GT and the Challenger R/T...not too sure, just an observation.

Don't throw me off the forum but honestly I would have bought the loaded Pontiac Firebird if it was still around. Ofcourse it would have been a Camaro underneath, but I prefer less ppl owning my car.
^^^^
+100
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #67
Zomies

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS & GSX-S1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrsatisfied View Post
So......Did you buy it?

I'm an average consumer, I bought the 15 GT Premium with the performance package. I hated it. That floaty feeling when accelerating and the "thunk" going into first gear was horrendous.

I bought a 1SS with MRC, NPP, and A8 and my Camaro was within 1K of what I paid for a GT without the benefits of MRC, NPP, and A8.

The Camaro is WAAAAAAAY more advanced than the GT.
No I did not buy it. Mostly because almost everyone on the lot has body panel alignment issues.

I am also looking at a 1SS, it's kind of half way between a base GT and premium GT interior wise. The base GT just looks to low rent on the interior. I really don't need or would really use all the stuff on the 2SS.
Zomies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #68
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Isn't this the same discussion we had just last month?

While it is hard to believe, I guess it is very possible that GMs monthly target for the Camaro was only 4K-5K units per month (50,000-60,000 cars/year) and all the other months that exceeded the target were just gravy. We are so caught up in the idea that the Camaro has to outsell the Mustang and Challenger that maybe we ARE behind the times?

Maybe there is some truth to GM not caring about position in sales for the Camaro. I don't like seeing it lose the sales number race but hey, as long as GM doesn't use a continuously low, dropping, or lagging behind sales number to kill the car, it's all good, right?

You just never know. After all, the lack of aggressive advertising and no incentives does indeed seem to say that GM is ok with the number.

Ugh. Still hard to stomach but it's not my business to run.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #69
Blue's SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, for go, not show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomies View Post
No I did not buy it. Mostly because almost everyone on the lot has body panel alignment issues.

I am also looking at a 1SS, it's kind of half way between a base GT and premium GT interior wise. The base GT just looks to low rent on the interior. I really don't need or would really use all the stuff on the 2SS.
Yep, that's why I went the 1SS route and saved a few thousand bucks.

Camaro/Firebird fan since 1977!
Previous rides: 1965 Pontiac GTO, 1977 Trans Am Special Ed. "Bandit", 1996 Camaro 3.8, 2002 Camaro Z28, 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Spring Special Edition
Current ride: "SOUTHERNCROSS" - 2017 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Black w/BO4 56V RZ9 NPP SFE SH1 VW9 W2D
"And no BS! It's (the 1SS) everything you need and nothing you don't." -Craig Cole on the 1SS vs 2SS
"Reach above your dreams of pleasure, giving life to those who died. Look beyond your own horizons, sail the ship of signs." -RJD 'The Sign of the Southern Cross'
Blue's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #70
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Cripes. Is this thread a cut+paste from last month?

ETA: I can't see why anyone would buy a Mustang if they drove both it and the Camaro.