Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-21-2024, 12:48 PM   #1
Annihilate

Drives: 2024 2SS Camaro, 1988 IROC Z
Send a message via Skype™ to Annihilate
Cost Efficent and Quality PPF Work in Detroit?

Hey guys,

Doing a bit more digging about ppf before I bite the bullet in a few weeks, however I am seeing prices drastically different from what I've been quoted.

I've seen people getting a good chunk of the car completed for under $2000

However the three shops I've contacted quotes me closer to 4k for similar work.

Has anyone in the Detroit Metro found a quality and reasonably priced installer before I throw my wallet into the river?

Really just trying to do front end, doors, A pillars, and cargo lip in the back.

Annihilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:49 PM   #2
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
When on the XPEL site, you can find some. One was about 2300 for "most of the car". Have you checked there?
Old 03-27-2024, 05:55 PM   #3
BlakeR
😁😁😁😁😁

Drives: 1ss
I don't know about their current pricing, but I've had great customer service from Sunshade window tinting in Troy and New layer customs in Troy. Keep us updated with what you find, please.
BlakeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:20 AM   #4
Annihilate

So had a discussion with Eric from Sunshade Window Tinting in Troy, we talked it over and he put together a custom package for me.

I had received quotes from a few shops and they were all in a similar ball park. Eric helped me piece together major parts that I wanted to get covered and did it all for a reasonable price.

So, I am getting package 1 which is Xpel Ultimate Plus 10mil film wrapped around:

Full hood
Full Fenders
Full Front fascia
Full rockers* with impact area and door sills
A pillar/header
Headlights*
Full Mirrors

They are also going to be wrapping:

Ground effects and front splitter
The top and front face of the spoiler*

The luggage area
The full doors

WITH tinting all around for a cool $5,600.
The initial price for this was close to $6,100, but they are willing to work with you a little if you pay cash.

NOW, I still find this to be expensive, however package 2 would place me around 7k for the full rear quarters and the full car around 10k which I wish I could afford, but alas...

When he started breaking down and explaining exactly what went into the wrapping, especially on this car, the price began making a bit of sense. As he put it anybody can buy the film packages, but we're paying for craftsmanship and precision.

The fact that he was willing to work with me on getting the full doors added on was a huge plus.

He also was willing to work with me to eventually cover the rest of the car. They are going to intelligently plan the way they cut in certain areas to make it easy to finish the car off when I have the funds.

For tint I've decided to go for 20% on sides and rear, 35% on front. Apparently this is a pretty standard combo.

The appointment is set for the 29th of this month and is due to take about a week.

I will definitely be posting pictures and a general review of my initial impressions. I've never had work like this done, so I am definitely interested to see if it's worth the cost to play.

*Areas noted by asterisk are areas he mentioned that he considers top priority. He made many good points on why the rockers, headlights, and top of spoiler are especially prone to being hit, and are worth protecting.

Last edited by Annihilate; 04-19-2024 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:50 AM   #5
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I get the need for PPF on these cars, especially the front and the rockers. But I still find the prices to be ridiculous. $6K for some sheets of plastic, which may require replacement at some point if rocks were to penetrate the film, is hard to swallow. I applied PPF myself to the vital areas and while it may not be as perfect as a pro, it was not that bad and I did it for a fraction of the price.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #6
Annihilate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I get the need for PPF on these cars, especially the front and the rockers. But I still find the prices to be ridiculous. $6K for some sheets of plastic, which may require replacement at some point if rocks were to penetrate the film, is hard to swallow. I applied PPF myself to the vital areas and while it may not be as perfect as a pro, it was not that bad and I did it for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, I agree, and if this wasn't a car I was planning on keeping my whole life, I probably wouldn't have opted for it.

However, this is the only new car I intend to ever buy, as I do not really need the amenities that modern vehicles have. I have an 08 Chevy Impala that has everything I need, that car has 220,000 miles and the only major repair I've needed was the transmission last year at 210,000.

Now that I have the Camaro and a work vehicle, I can invest some money into restoring my Impala a bit more, but when it does come time to replace, I will likely get something used from that period or something close to it.

The Camaro holds a special place in my heart, and I wanted to have one of the last pieces of genuine American Muscle/Performance.

I love this car, and want to make sure I do it right, so the whole thing is a new experience for me. Frankly, though I have a few nice things I am still relatively young, and still make stupid mistakes from time to time, even when I'm trying to be careful. So I would like to have as many "safeties" in place as possible.

Such as the minor scuffing of my passenger wheel this past week. I don't even know if it WAS a curb cause I didn't feel anything, maybe it was a deep pothole, fact is, I have less than 700 miles and I can't seem to keep things nice no matter my efforts lol.

The good news is that this shop has been around since the late 70's and they have a 10 year warranty on their work.

I suppose I will see if its actually worth it, and when the time comes to paint my other project (The 88 Iroc) We will see if this is something I'd want to repeat.