Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Car Unstable Under Full Throttle

All,

I have a bit of a problem, but let me give you the details first. I'm the only owner of my Camaro. I've had my 2010 SS for 8 years now. Relevant modifications to the problem: Lowered on Pedders Xa coilovers, JPSS Black Magic sway bars (28mm front and 32mm rear), and OEM ZL1 wheels (285 front and 305 rear).

The car has driven fine without problems for years and years. However, a few months ago my car started to become very unstable under full throttle no matter what speed I was going. At first, I blamed it on the cold weather, but then I noticed my rear bumper turning black. With that being said, I came to the quick conclusion that my alignment was off. The toe was so bad that it was wearing out the outer 1-2" of my rear tires.

Anyways, I fixed the alignment per Pete's specs (agressive street). The after-alignment specs were right on point. However, the problem persists. It almost feels like the car is skating around in the rear, or that one side raises up while the other side compresses. It's a very strange feeling and a very dangerous problem to have. I can't even enjoy my car's performance because I can't go WOT.

What gives? Unbalanced wheels/tires? A possible suspension problem?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
You said you got the alignment, but did you replace the tires?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
StlRomAniaN

No, the tires weren't replaced. As mentioned, it was only the outer inch or so of the tire and it's just worn down a bit (smooth and not uneven).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

They may look evenly worn, but they still could be out of balance; I would at least have them checked.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
StlRomAniaN

Have you had a similar experience before? That's what I'm thinking as well. Out of balanced wheels.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Wheel balancing is cheap. Get it done if possible. If the tire shop recommends replacement then you probably need new tires. If the problem persists it could be that you have other things broken.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
StlRomAniaN

I fully inspected all the components under the car. Everything is fine so it must be wheel balancing.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
StlRomAniaN

Thanks guys.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Have you had a similar experience before? That's what I'm thinking as well. Out of balanced wheels.

Had a similar problem in the Monte Carlo my wife used to have; rear end felt 'loose' at anything above 50mph, especially under acceleration. Turned out, it was out of alignment and tires/wheels were out of balance. In my case, due to the edge wearing, I replaced the tires, had them balanced and had an alignment done ... problem solved.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I see that you inspected the underside, and I'm assuming you checked on all bushings, specifically the front and rear subframe bushing. I still have to wonder if one or two on one side were bad, it could cause a rear cradle shift so uneven it could cause that type of looseness. Just a thought if the alignment and wheel balance is ruled out.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #11
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
I see that you inspected the underside, and I'm assuming you checked on all bushings, specifically the front and rear subframe bushing. I still have to wonder if one or two on one side were bad, it could cause a rear cradle shift so uneven it could cause that type of looseness. Just a thought if the alignment and wheel balance is ruled out.

That's actually a good point. I'll take a second look at all bushings.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #12
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Wheel balance on big rims cam create big problems. The bigger the rim, the more magnified the issue will be. I had a front wheel off by 1 ounce and it felt like the wheel was going to rip off the car once I hit 70mph. Had it high speed balanced and it's gone!
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #13
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
And if Toe is out an depending how many miles it was driven you've put a pattern in it and will take a while for it true it self back up if that makes sense??
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #14
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Mine was a bolt backed out in the toe rod to spindle connection, couldn't see it because the rim was in the way. It allowed the passenger wheel to steer the rear end.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote