Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
aquaholic

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Angry Opening trunk breaks wires!?!?!?

Not only has my wire harness worn through the trunk seal, but the wires in the harness have broken...no onstar, no compass, electric trunk release only works sometimes...dealer says not covered under CPO warranty. How can all those systems not be covered by damaged from a design flaw? Any advice? I don't have a pic to post as the car is at the dealer now...over $500 for new wire harness and that doesn't include a new trunk seal.

Wires and surrounding loom are broken where they bend at the trunk seal.
aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
did you try a diffrent dealer...
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
ELIC is right, try a new dealer. I knew of this problem, so from day one, I crawled in and gave it as much slack as it had to give to keep it from rubbing. 3 yrs later, still good. tell your dealer to leave some extra slack by the trunk wheatherstrip when they reinstall. Yes, there is room for some slack, don't let them bs youl
Old 04-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
OP: This should be covered under the CPO warranty. I have had the trunk seal replaced (twice!) and the wire harness / loom re-taped and slightly resituated so that it doesn't rub against the seal. This was covered under my original BTB warranty but the CPO should cover this as well. This seal is probably classified as a "wear" item but not when the loom causes damage. This is a known problem. I'll suggest you try another dealer or call Chevy / GM if you aren't getting anywhere with this issue.

Here's the link to the thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=trunk+harness
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
This is the first I'm hearing of this. I don't have any problems but does someone have a picture of the location I should be looking? Is it where the harness goes into the trunk through a grommet? TIA!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
aquaholic

I brought the car into the dealer in December, but their electrical guy was out for at least 30 days...they were going to call me back when he was available. They didn't call or return my calls over the next couple months. So I walked in a couple weeks ago and made an appointment...and the car is there now. CPO warranty expired in January...I started the claim with the dealer in December, so I'm not sure how to deal with another dealer now.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #7
aquaholic

There are several wires going through that area. I only need the one with a black coax and a smaller black "regular" wire. But GM apparently does not sell this 3' wire harness by itself...they want you to buy part number 22862191 which is a huge harness that happens to include this part.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
First, it was covered by the CPO warranty. Second I would find another dealer, especially after your inability to contact them (Do you really trust them to perform an effective and timely repair?) Third, I'd let GM know the issues this dealer is giving you regarding the repairs and inability (unwillingness) to communicate with you or schedule a reasonable time to repair the vehicle. My professional advice is not to contact that dealer any further after its fixed and find one that does want you as a customer.

Last edited by JerTM; 04-11-2016 at 06:51 PM.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
Not only has my wire harness worn through the trunk seal, but the wires in the harness have broken...no onstar, no compass, electric trunk release only works sometimes...dealer says not covered under CPO warranty. How can all those systems not be covered by damaged from a design flaw? Any advice? I don't have a pic to post as the car is at the dealer now...over $500 for new wire harness and that doesn't include a new trunk seal.

Wires and surrounding loom are broken where they bend at the trunk seal.
Pic please!
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
aquaholic

I tried to post the pics above, here are the links:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...1YWkEyaXZqMlBB

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...UzMUdCdU9WWGNz

Tags
convertible, seal, trunk, wire harness