Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Bigcros

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Trunk Leak?

The other night I was putting groceries in the trunk of my 2012, and noticed the right side of the trunk is quite wet. This was after it had rained all day. This leads me to believe that there's a leak where rainwater (or car wash water, etc.) can make its way into my car.

Also, one of the sides of my subwoofer box sits near the front of the trunk (where the water has been getting in) since it is not bolted securely down. I felt of the fabric on the box, and sure enough, it is wet as well.

Now, I have noticed an odd smell when getting into my car after it has been sitting for awhile. The smell has gotten progressively worse, it seems. I have had trouble finding the root of the smell since I keep it pretty clean and never have food or drink in the car (besides water).

I see a white, hairy looking substance (pic included) on the fabric of the subwoofer box, and it appears to be growing in size. I am concerned that the constant moisture in the trunk and lack of ventilation has contributed to potential mildew (or mold) growth. Can anyone who is familiar with fungi confirm whether or not the substance in the picture is mildew (or mold)?

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with their trunk having a leak.

Mildew/Mold picture -> http://imgur.com/BiOxosk

Future Mods:
Supercharger or Twin Snails; Stage 2 Cam; Lowering Springs; Sport Suspension; 21" Vossen CV3's; Blacked out taillights/side markers/reverse lights/fog lights/turn signals; Switchback LED turn signals; Fog light Halo's; Afterburner Taillights; Underbody Lights
Bigcros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
SMRBAD06

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS w/ RS
there are two small drain hoses that are located on the top of the trunk near the far rear (in top corners). They drain water I believe from the sunroof. On my 2011, they were just pushed into the drain holes but would come out over time. Mine would also get wet. Once I found this, and kept the hoses in the drain holes, problem solved.
SMRBAD06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
SMRBAD06

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS w/ RS
ensure that the hoses are securely into the drains and then completely air out the trunk. use a fan. I'd lift the carpet and use a bleach solution on any interior trunk (metal) areas that are affected. Bleach will kill the mildew issue. Carpet cleaner and fully dry the carpet.
SMRBAD06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Bigcros

Thanks for the heads-up, I will check those when I get home. Do you have any idea about the potential mildew in the picture? Might explain the odd smell in my car...

EDIT: I didn't see your other reply, thanks for the advice! I will do that.

Future Mods:
Supercharger or Twin Snails; Stage 2 Cam; Lowering Springs; Sport Suspension; 21" Vossen CV3's; Blacked out taillights/side markers/reverse lights/fog lights/turn signals; Switchback LED turn signals; Fog light Halo's; Afterburner Taillights; Underbody Lights
Old 11-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Perform surgery, a good installer might be able to repair it but it has to have the panel and carpet replaced. Potential health hazard as well, remove it asap.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Its just some common white mold and some molds do smell.... Black mold when dried out like the kind in a wet old houses wall is the kind to really avoid .....but only in so much as you do not ever want to breathe in the dried dust of the black mold. If you use bleach it only takes a capful to a gallon of water to disinfect but you would have to watch out for discoloration so I would rather use any other non bleach cleaner..... Then dab dry with pushing and rubbing dry towels onto the fabric of the carpet/ vacuum and the box and keeping the seat down in back to let heat in the trunk until the wetness goes away. Good luck. Fabreeze may help yah too....lol
Old 11-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Bigcros

Quote:
Its just some common white mold and some molds do smell....
Yeah I think Snoman is blowing it out of proportion a bit. Thanks for the tips; I am tired of the wet trunk haha.

Future Mods:
Old 11-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Pull it out. Clean it. Maybe bleach it. Let it dry outside the car for a few days.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
My 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Daytona 500 Pace Car would leak from the sunroof drains right onto the passenger side floor, it was so annoying.

Check those lines, clean it up, you should be fine.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Can someone take a picture of the sunroof drain hoses?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I had a leak a week ago. It rained steadily for a couple days. Discovered the cord for trunk release got pinched in the weather strip. No mildew though.

The fabric on the box is probably not resistant to mildew. So, yeah, it's probably the issue.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Please?
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
See pics in this post http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335736
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #14
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
So do they come lose in the trunk? They are under the carpet correct? Also, the water that goes down each side of the trunk on the top sides of the openings, I am guessing there is a tube there as well to drain to the ground as well? Or else that area would fill up

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, trunk, water