Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Ipf supercharger questions

Hey guys well I decided to put my savings into a ipf supercharger fund. Here's the kicker I really want some gears!i know some people will say that the 3.91 are too much but that's what I want to go with. I'll be buying the gears for and stay naturally spirited while I upgrade suspension and most importantly tires(going with at least 10 inches wide out back maybe 11 if I can) and about a 19 in length. This should help immensely with the traction issue of the supercharger and the gears correct? And if anyone can explain how 3.91 could be too much please let me know. This will be a auto cross and road course car I'm not much into drag racing I may try it a time or two but it won't be a drag car so those principles don't really apply (as in shifting before the finish and stuff) sorry I'm rambling now. Readyyyyy go!(btw I have a v6 so I need as much torque as possible)
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
3.91s get you way out of the power band when trapping. You'd be about halfway through your 4th gear shift - by that I mean around 5500rpms. You'd be no better than stock at all, and I would expect worse honestly. Post supercharger you might be okay - I would think you would actually be pulling hard in your 4th gear with boost. Personally, and some of the other guys agree, 3.45 gears out of the manual SS are what you would want.

Traction in our car isn't exactly an issue. Lol.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:23 AM   #3
crc91

I won't be using this car on the drag strip. It's going to be on a road course and auto x where the gears would be better suited. Anyone else have any opinions on this?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
If you're really looking for torque, and specifically low-end torque, you may want to consider a turbo setup instead of the supercharger.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
crc91

I did consider the ips turbo and quite frankly it's still an option however after installations it's almost an 8k option the supercharger is a little more in my range for now. This car will see autox and open track day action I feel the supercharger is a little easier to predict in the twisties
Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
crc91

Bump
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I'm going with a IPF Supercharger due to easy of installation and you can remove it if need fairly easy.

I track my car so we'll see how it goes.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
crc91

That's another plus for the ipf supercharger. Honestly it's what I'll probably end up going with unless for some reason ips has some really special pricing goin on! But I think ipf is the way to go. I'll probably bring my car to lethal performance in laffyette louisiana to get it tuned. I've heard good things about these guys and while they are about a 3 hour drive from me I think it's be worth it for good service. Back to the question on 3.91 gears though since it's a centri supercharger it shouldn't be too much gear for it right? What about some quality 3.73 gears from lpe? Especially if I choose not to go with the gm 3.91 gears then I'll need very quality 3.73 gears instead not much whine and something that will hold up unlike those Richmond gears that seem to be breaking
Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I would get the IPF supercharger first and see how it drives. You may not need the gears once you get used to the s/c.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
crc91

What kind if mods can the ipf supercharger be tuned with? I know solo high flow cars are a bad idea. I know a cat back will help ever do slightly. Can u run a rotofab with a centri setup? Ported tb and intake manifold ipf supercharger friendly?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
cant do oem or aftermarket intake with a centri setup (that i've seen) as the SC is in the Oem intake location and the intake (for IPF kit) is routed down near the drivers side fender well, like the long tube injen intake.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
If you are a manual car you will get the trans cooking on the road course ( I know from experience) the V6 manual trans holds 1.9 qts of fluid only. I may one day do a pump setup and pump oil to the upper fill hole from the lower drain through a cooler so that I can hopefully cool the fluid a little. My track sessions are shorter due to heat. Not an issue with the SC but a limitation of the car. Now as far as gears, there is plenty of power to get the vehicle to pivot in the turns, no more gear is needed. Drive it first and then decide.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
crc91

Thanks sycraft, and appreciate the input lil nasty, think there would be a way to lower temps with a universal kit from mishimoto?

Tags
gears, ipf, lfx, supercharger