Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Been practicing my parking....

Since I have no backup camera, or none of the other fancy stuff you get on the upper model camaros, I decided I would see if some of the things I learned on here worked for parking.
I backed up in a parking space instead of going in front forward and moved my driver side mirror down to see the lines, this worked well. I got in the spot perfectly. The passenger side mirror I left normal so i could see the car next to me.
I will say this, all I hear is the visibility sucks in these camaros. I actually took a notice at this while driving yesterday and with the side mirrors set correctly (not seeing the body of the car) while changing lanes and such, it's not an issue. Yes there is a blind spot parrallel to the back corners of the car, but while driving my wife's Mazda CX-5 yesterday I noticed the same blind spot. I always had problems seeing out of that car and parking , maybe not so prominent as the camaro but it's there. I also a week or so ago tried to back into a parking space at the supermarket next to the cart corral and a car on the opposite side of my parking space.
It was risky seeing that I may hit the corral or the other car. But I figured I have to learn so why not. I used my mirrors and backed in slowly watching both sides. I got in no problem. Made me feel better about the visibility thing. I didn't park there I moved but I just wanted to try it out.
I don't know what the point of this was but I figured if someone was having parking issues that with the help of the mirrors if you don't have a backup camera it can be done.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
yes its easier to hit/rub curb by rear wheels while parallel parking
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
the Camaro goes backwards??
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyd View Post
yes its easier to hit/rub curb by rear wheels while parallel parking
I haven't attempted that one yet. Still not ready. But that will be next. I was actually thinking of setting up a course on my street with some cones and markings on the curb to see how well I do.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
GuitarJozz

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarJozz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
the Camaro goes backwards??
Haha. That made me LOL. I still have yet to attempt backing into a parking space, but the mirror trick would help the first few times. I turn the passenger mirror down when parking near a curb so I can get a better view of how close I am. I do this with most any vehicle I drive so I don't scrape the curb...
GuitarJozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
Rearview mirrors are amazing pieces of equipment. If set up properly they help immensely with the blind spots in our Camaros.
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I park backwards nearly 95% of the time in retail lots and my apt parking deck, and I also prefer parallel parking on the streets in downtown. I used to do this with my 2010 and now with my 2012 the back up camera actually helps me determine how close I am to the car behind me once I am in the spot. So it's very helpful.

I actually have a hard time using just the rear camera to line up the car. Sometimes I wish I could turn the camera off.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
I put those stick on convex 'zoom' mirrors on my side mirrors. 0 blind spot and I can see the ground/curb/lines when backing up. cheap and easy
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
I put those stick on convex 'zoom' mirrors on my side mirrors. 0 blind spot and I can see the ground/curb/lines when backing up. cheap and easy
Agreed.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
ponywars

Drives: 2012 V6
i have no blindspots
i see everything around me in my rearview, my side mirrors, and my peripheral vision
ponywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponywars View Post
i have no blindspots
i see everything around me in my rearview, my side mirrors, and my peripheral vision
What how can you see everything from your rearview mirror.
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
I find it easier to park in lots in reverse due to the camera and mirrors oddly. Never really parked in reverse until I bought a Camaro.

The only nice thing about curb rash is you learn quickly how not to do it again.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
I've said this on a bunch of threads - I really don't get why people complain so much about the blind spots in these cars. My last two cars were Mazda sedans, and I could see out of them just as well as I can out of my Camaro. I've always used the mirrors and then looked manually to the side before changing lanes [or parking, whatever].

But good for the OP for figuring out that it isn't hard to do. Just use the mirrors to your preference and you won't hit stuff... As long as you're paying attention, of course.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
Marc ss

Drives: Synergy green SS
I never pull strait into a parking spot. To easy to hit the front facia. It's hard to judge that long nose. I always back in and always to a curb, never another car. I open my door while backing up the last couple feet to know when to stop. FYI, did anybody else notice while in drive or reverse you can open your door by pulling the handle "twice"???

Marc
Marc ss is offline   Reply With Quote