Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
camarocid

Drives: Chevy Truck
Torn! After months of searching I find the perfect 2SS

But it’s an automatic! It’s dark gray with Kalahari, low mileage, asking under $32k. ****ing gorgeous car, but it’s an automatic.

Pros:

I’ll be a dad in a few years, an automatic maybe would be easier?
I do live in the city and commute
It’s faster

Cons:
It’s an automatic
As a pony car v8 I feel like the manual is part of the spirit of the car
camarocid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
So... it's not the perfect 2SS?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Stop and go commute for me in my city = A8 While it would be fun to rock a manual i just don't think in my situation would be best for me as my wife would never be able to drive it and give me shit on why i did that LOL.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
1. The way the A8 trans works when you drive with enthusiasm is pretty cool.
2. It was an easy decision for me because of the price I paid for my used 2016.
3. Another plus for me is I am with 0.118 seconds of an 11 sec quarter mile.
4. Assume a higher resale value with an A8 or A10 and more potential buyers

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Automatics are quicker , however some of the 2016s have an issue with the transmission shudder . So I understand where your coming from.
For the record I would prob never own a manual ever again , they are going the way of the dodo. You cant get a duramax diesel with a manual anymore . besides tapshift makes the manual guys semi happy . But If I ever were to fall in love with a manual it would prob be a sequential trans those things are bad ass for roadracing !!!
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
camarocid

Drives: Chevy Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfive View Post
Automatics are quicker , however some of the 2016s have an issue with the transmission shudder . So I understand where your coming from.
For the record I would prob never own a manual ever again , they are going the way of the dodo. You cant get a duramax diesel with a manual anymore . besides tapshift makes the manual guys semi happy . But If I ever were to fall in love with a manual it would prob be a sequential trans those things are bad ass for roadracing !!!
When I get an automatic SS, is it like I can shift with my hands? Like right hand upshift left hand downshift?
camarocid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Maybe find a 6th Gen V8 A8 Camaro that you can rent or lease for a few days and try it on for size? Then make your decision. Only you can decide. You would hate to purchase and have "buyer's remorse" later.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocid View Post
When I get an automatic SS, is it like I can shift with my hands? Like right hand upshift left hand downshift?
Yes, the 6th Gen has paddle shifters on the steering wheel. And the console shifter can also upshift/downshift.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Have you test drove the car yet? That may also help out some of your thoughts on your decision about he A8 or M6. I have a 16' for 2+ years now with no transmission shudder present nor any other issues then a fan that crapped out and they replaced.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
don't do it man you'll fully regret it. I drive through the Toronto traffic which is supposed to be the worst in the world and I have a manual transmission.

If you're a guy that loves to drive manual make sure you get a manual
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
1. The way the A8 trans works when you drive with enthusiasm is pretty cool.
2. It was an easy decision for me because of the price I paid for my used 2016.
I bought new and got the M6 mostly because it was cheaper than the A8. Everybody who sees my car LOVES that it has a manual.
Personally, I would have bought the automatic if offered at the same price, because I think modern high performance automatics are amazing. And, of course, also faster. That does seem to put me in the minority of muscle car fans.
If you want people to drool when they see your car, hold out for the manual.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Get what you want. If the M6 is high on the want list, don't settle. If it's not, try the A8 and decide. I was open to the A8 but all of my personal cars have been performance/sports car oriented, so an M6 was perfect for me. I don't commute in city traffic often, but even ewhen I do, I find this clutch and Tremec combination to be very well done. I am also a fan of the hill assist feature that many here don't like. Lots of hills out my way and I don't find it obtrusive at all and very useful. I am not a fan of rev match but it's cool it's there. It's just not for me

Good luck on your choice. You can't go wrong either way in my opinion. Note I don't drag race, so being slightly quicker wasn't a factor for me. Being one with a performance machine that is quick, has massive torque, and corners so well is a joy.

For me though a skip shift eliminator was a must and was in within days ownership.

Last edited by BrianL; 03-24-2018 at 09:29 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
don't do it man you'll fully regret it. I drive through the Toronto traffic which is supposed to be the worst in the world and I have a manual transmission.

If you're a guy that loves to drive manual make sure you get a manual
Yep, definitely take the time to test drive both to avoid any regrets. Owned a tiptronic auto once, and when I moved to an m6 in my last car, it quickly became evident how much a tiptronic is not even close to driving a manual. It's all about that third pedal.

I'm sure shift responsiveness have improved with the newer autos, but the computer is still the middle man and can intervene at will both for good and bad. Also their complexity has increased quite a bit leading to more issues. You will see similar complaints about shift quality on other forums as well.

As for performance, the auto is only faster from a dig, and not by much if the manual driver knows what he's doing. Now In all fairness, I have not driven a car with the A8. Only going by online videos and the numbers I've seen posted. The biggest advantage I see with the auto in terms of performance is consistency.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #14
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocid View Post
But it’s an automatic! It’s dark gray with Kalahari, low mileage, asking under $32k. ****ing gorgeous car, but it’s an automatic.

Pros:

I’ll be a dad in a few years, an automatic maybe would be easier?
I do live in the city and commute
It’s faster

Cons:
It’s an automatic
As a pony car v8 I feel like the manual is part of the spirit of the car
If you want a M6 then I wouldn't settle. There will be others!