Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 03-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
chuckclanton

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2LT
Best sway bar combo for V6 autocross?

Stock springs & shocks. 20in SS wheels. Michelin super Sport 4S tires.
245 front. 275 rear. First thought is SS front bar and SS 1LE rear bar??
chuckclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
couple of ideas...

personally, i'd just mimic the v6 1LE setup with bars and go from there if you're looking for something quick and cheap... theres not a "BEST" combo when it comes to anything involving tuning of your car. everyone's driving style is different, hence what's best for me, might be the drizzling sh*ts for you, or anyone else (just being honest, cause I can deal with slight understeer being the norm, where as most prefer neutral or slight over steer) and vice versa. ask 5 people you're probably gonna get 3-5 different answers. there's not a magical Best combo. if you ask sam from strano parts, he suggests only changing the front bar to one of his designed bars... bmr advised me differently, I'm sure others will do the same (different suggestions)

given the v6 1LE has the same staggered tire setup as you do, that would be a good starting point. gm has probably added a slightly larger bar in the rear to go more neutral with the larger rear tire on the 1LE.

HOWEVER....if you don't feel like changing out bars every time you wanna try something new, I'd highly suggest just biting the bullet and paying for a set of adjustable bars front and rear...that way, when there's something YOU feel needs a change from YOUR driving style, then you just go under and simply adjust the hole position.

were just figuring out spring rates on the cars from private speed shops, and so far, no one has started to even draw out, what gains over what bar you get that I've seen...

i.e. the fe2 bar to the fe3 standard bar is 150% stiffer, and the 1LE bar is XXX% stiffer than the fe3 standard bar, etc.

for myself, right now, I have the BMR bars front and rear. front set at medium and rear at full soft. that's more an understeer setting. depending on the track or event, and how hot it may be, I may go back to medium on both settings, or even swap medium for the rear and soft for the front. that will also depend on if I have the FE2 springs and shocks in, or will I by chance get the FE3 V6 1LE stuff installed in time?

as said, swaybars...they're a tuning tool, figure out what you WANT the car to do first (understeer, oversteer, neutral) then go from there. and remember, they are going to be working WITH your stock springs and shocks. I still feel that for a quick upgrade, mimic the 1LE V6 bars front and rear for a starting point, or just get the adjustable.

ALSO... BIG BIT OF ADVICE...If this is your first few deals at AutoX...before you make any changes... I'd beyond highly recommending running the car AS IS... and see if what it does, is already what you want. a lot of people add stuff they don't really need, or find out what they added isn't what they want. I ran mine the first year with all stock stuff. stock 18's sways, shocks, springs, etc... and from that, I made decisions on what I wanted to change.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
chuckclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
couple of ideas...

personally, i'd just mimic the v6 1LE setup with bars and go from there if you're looking for something quick and cheap... theres not a "BEST" combo when it comes to anything involving tuning of your car. everyone's driving style is different, hence what's best for me, might be the drizzling sh*ts for you, or anyone else (just being honest, cause I can deal with slight understeer being the norm, where as most prefer neutral or slight over steer) and vice versa. ask 5 people you're probably gonna get 3-5 different answers. there's not a magical Best combo. if you ask sam from strano parts, he suggests only changing the front bar to one of his designed bars... bmr advised me differently, I'm sure others will do the same (different suggestions)

given the v6 1LE has the same staggered tire setup as you do, that would be a good starting point. gm has probably added a slightly larger bar in the rear to go more neutral with the larger rear tire on the 1LE.

HOWEVER....if you don't feel like changing out bars every time you wanna try something new, I'd highly suggest just biting the bullet and paying for a set of adjustable bars front and rear...that way, when there's something YOU feel needs a change from YOUR driving style, then you just go under and simply adjust the hole position.

were just figuring out spring rates on the cars from private speed shops, and so far, no one has started to even draw out, what gains over what bar you get that I've seen...

i.e. the fe2 bar to the fe3 standard bar is 150% stiffer, and the 1LE bar is XXX% stiffer than the fe3 standard bar, etc.

for myself, right now, I have the BMR bars front and rear. front set at medium and rear at full soft. that's more an understeer setting. depending on the track or event, and how hot it may be, I may go back to medium on both settings, or even swap medium for the rear and soft for the front. that will also depend on if I have the FE2 springs and shocks in, or will I by chance get the FE3 V6 1LE stuff installed in time?

as said, swaybars...they're a tuning tool, figure out what you WANT the car to do first (understeer, oversteer, neutral) then go from there. and remember, they are going to be working WITH your stock springs and shocks. I still feel that for a quick upgrade, mimic the 1LE V6 bars front and rear for a starting point, or just get the adjustable.

ALSO... BIG BIT OF ADVICE...If this is your first few deals at AutoX...before you make any changes... I'd beyond highly recommending running the car AS IS... and see if what it does, is already what you want. a lot of people add stuff they don't really need, or find out what they added isn't what they want. I ran mine the first year with all stock stuff. stock 18's sways, shocks, springs, etc... and from that, I made decisions on what I wanted to change.
I've done a lot of autocross with V8 Camaros and corvettes. On the GEN5Camaros I've found that moving up 1 step on the rear bar worked best with a staggered setup. Ex(SS front and 1LE rear). Knowing nothing about the GEN6 bars, begs the question.
setup.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
I'll hazard that the FE4 rear bar will be too stiff with the FE3 front bar. Go FE3 front and rear, or FE4 front and rear. Both setups are tuned for staggered tires, the former on 245 & 275's and the latter on the very sticky Supercar 3 285 & 305's.

Also, what class are you running that allows such free-form swaybar options?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckclanton View Post
I've done a lot of autocross with V8 Camaros and corvettes. On the GEN5Camaros I've found that moving up 1 step on the rear bar worked best with a staggered setup. Ex(SS front and 1LE rear). Knowing nothing about the GEN6 bars, begs the question.
setup.
in comparison of 5th vs 6th, I can vouch this... I had around 5k$ invested in the 2013 Camaro, from coilovers, to jpss rear bar black magic 32mm rear back, whiteline front 32mm 3 way adjustable front bar, bmr trailing arms & bushings, etc...

245/45 fronts and 275/40 rears

1st event with the 6th gen handled better than everything I had installed on the 5th gen and then some. wasn't even much a comparison.

as said with the bar thing on the 6th... 1 step up isn't clearly defined as of yet. there's quite a few different bars out there in fe3 form. there's fe2 (which you prob already have). then there's few different FE3 bars, then theres FE4 and FEA..

like said, I would try it as is, and then see where you wanna go from there.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
...as said with the bar thing on the 6th... 1 step up isn't clearly defined as of yet. there's quite a few different bars out there in fe3 form. there's fe2 (which you prob already have). then there's few different FE3 bars, then theres FE4 and FEA..

like said, I would try it as is, and then see where you wanna go from there.
All really good points, perhaps most importantly to the OP, go auto-x your existing setup before drawing any arbitrary conclusions.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
If you plan to auto-x a lot it seems like adjustable bars would be best so you can tune the bars to you and your driving style. If not, I'd highly recommend the FE4 bars with the BMR lower trailing arms. I just did this on my 2LT v6 with the 20's and it was a great mod. The car feels a lot more stable in the corners and this is even with the stock 245 square setup.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
chuckclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi View Post
If you plan to auto-x a lot it seems like adjustable bars would be best so you can tune the bars to you and your driving style. If not, I'd highly recommend the FE4 bars with the BMR lower trailing arms. I just did this on my 2LT v6 with the 20's and it was a great mod. The car feels a lot more stable in the corners and this is even with the stock 245 square setup.
Did you replace the FE2 Toe links with the FE3, FE4 links?
Old 03-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
OP has written that he has done a lot of autocross so I am not going to assume that he/she doesn't know what they want. That being written, here is a different take:

OP - do you know what class you want to be in? If a stock class, you will be limited to upgrading only one of the two sway bars. So your best choice would be the Strano bar.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
chuckclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
OP has written that he has done a lot of autocross so I am not going to assume that he/she doesn't know what they want. That being written, here is a different take:

OP - do you know what class you want to be in? If a stock class, you will be limited to upgrading only one of the two sway bars. So your best choice would be the Strano bar.
I'm going to run in F-Street as a LT 1LE. Vegas SCCA has no problem with that.
all the Mustangs in F Street are running square setup. Again no problem.
So my LT is stock springs and shocks plus FE3 wheels and sway bars. The Mustangs and Gen5 1LTs will still kill me!
Anyway, its all about having fun.

Last edited by chuckclanton; 03-23-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo