Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-15-2024, 09:41 PM   #1
wang970305

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS
Thumbs up LTH installation tips

bought my SS in 2021 Sep and now finally looking to get a set of kooks LTH with high flow cats, currently have Corsa catback, Ported LT2 IM and rotofab CAI.

A local shop quoted me 900$ to install headers and 600$for street tune. I think I might just do the labor work myself and take the car to the shop if I F***** up...(hopefully not)

I know this has been talked a lot, but can someone share some tips for LTHs?
  1. I think MSD wires is a good option
  2. do i need the high temp wrap or ceramic the headers in case they might burned the starter?
  3. I heard people say its also benefitial to install the BMR motor mounts? no clue.....
  4. Do i need to add more heat shield wrap on the passenger side hardness?
  5. Since I am just one TB away from FBO, should I go for Lt5 TB? or would stock TB limit a lot of HPs?
  6. Do I need AEM wideband?.. not sure what I can do with the AFR reading
  7. Anything else?

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE READING AND HELP!
Old 04-16-2024, 05:30 AM   #2
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
1. MSD wires are great and fit better than factory with headers. We always recommend MSD's with headers. Anytime we have a client with headers develop a random misfire, its a stock plug wire for various reasons. Never with the MSD's.

2. No. If quality Stainless Steel you don't need any ceramic coating.

3. Why is it beneficial on a street car?

4. no, just move it away from the headers and secure it to the frame.

5. If your LT2 IM is ported to the 95mm then go with it, if not just do the ported 87mm.

6. If you have a remote tuner tuning the car they will need the data. If you're having it dyno tuned and they have a wideband then no.

7. If you've never installed headers before, you're in for quite an adventure. It's not easy for someone who isn't at least somewhat experienced. But it can be done. You need to get the car up very high in the air(like 3-4 feet) to get the headers in or you will have a miserable time.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM   #3
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wang970305 View Post
bought my SS in 2021 Sep and now finally looking to get a set of kooks LTH with high flow cats, currently have Corsa catback, Ported LT2 IM and rotofab CAI.

A local shop quoted me 900$ to install headers and 600$for street tune. I think I might just do the labor work myself and take the car to the shop if I F***** up...(hopefully not)

I know this has been talked a lot, but can someone share some tips for LTHs?
  2. do i need the high temp wrap or ceramic the headers in case they might burned the starter?
  3. I heard people say its also benefitial to install the BMR motor mounts? no clue.....
  5. Since I am just one TB away from FBO, should I go for Lt5 TB? or would stock TB limit a lot of HPs?
  7. Anything else?

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE READING AND HELP!

Aftermarket plug wires can save you future headache. Plenty of good ceramic wires on the market, take your pick.
No, if you are worried you can get a starter blanket for 30 buckls from jegs or summit.
Its because it makes the install easier, no other reason.
I did, you dont have to just make sure it fastened down securely and wont move around.
Maybe some additional throttle response and 5-10hp. The butt dyno wont know.
Your turner, if remote will likely require one (if he is worth a damn.), if you want to get it tuned by a shop, you shouldn't need one.

Id skip the throttle body and run e85 if you have it available. Its worth just as much power as the headers you are adding.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:45 PM   #4
wang970305

Thank yall for the tips! does 21 SS starts come with a head shield next to it already? I am debating if I should install headers myself on jack stand and cuss for the total 8 hours or pay 900$ to have the shop install them for me.......
Old 04-17-2024, 07:49 AM   #5
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
ceramic coating will help with heat transfer and less heat in the engine bay, stainless or mild steel no difference with heat transfer
Old 04-17-2024, 08:08 AM   #6
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wang970305 View Post
Thank yall for the tips! does 21 SS starts come with a head shield next to it already? I am debating if I should install headers myself on jack stand and cuss for the total 8 hours or pay 900$ to have the shop install them for me.......
If you have a GOOD set of tools, have experience working on cars, can get the car high enough in the air, and have an entire weekend of patience, then you can get it done yourself.

If you have never worked on cars before or have only changed a battery or something, don't have a good set of tools, and have no way to get the car 3+ feet up in the air, then you're going to have a bad time and get frustrated and wish you had spent the $900 to let someone else do the work. Although I would say for $900 that would only make sense if its the ARH long system. If it is just headers connecting to the factory exhaust at the front of the car, then that is a bit expensive for labor.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:33 PM   #7
wang970305

well i decide to take it to another shop for 500-600$ that I was quoted. the shop said the OEM start heat shield is actually really efficient, do I need to add on additional heat tape or something? but idk if it can be added onto the existing heat shield
Old 04-22-2024, 07:46 AM   #8
RideWithDanger

Drives: 23 2SS 1LE
Yes, there are other options as well, and even just adding heat shields to stock wires is good enough for most people.

Need? No. But for a few hundred bucks to keep the heat in the engine bay down and minimize the risk of burning wires and other parts, I think its worth it.

Not really, its also unrelated to getting headers installed.

Not necessarily, but it wouldn't hurt. You can also relocate it which a lot of people do.

Considering its pretty much the cheapest of all the FBO parts, why not? You can pick up a few extra horsepower but it also increases throttle response and helps out more up top in the RPM range.

From my understanding, a remote tuner needs that info, but in person tuning will not. Talk to your tuner to verify.

7. Anything else?
Make sure you have EVERYTHING you need before getting started. Its not the hardest thing in the world but its definitely not recommended for beginners. You have to get the car pretty far off the ground. At least Kooks have decent fitment so its not AS BAD of a headache, but its still a pretty big task. Watch some how-to videos all the way through before you really decide this is what you want.

Radiant Red 23' 2SS 1LE
1100: 11/14/22 | BUILT: 3/16/23
2000: 2/17/23 | 4200: 5/8/23
3000: 2/27/23 | 5000/6000: 5/15/23

Black on black 2019 3LT RS Camaro.
1100: 3/7/19 | 4200: 4/15/19
3100: 3/15/19 | 4800: 4/23/19
3400: 3/22/19 | 5000: 4/25/19
Built: 4/8/19 | Home: 4/26/19
RideWithDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:14 PM   #9
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
When I did my install, I pulled the starter heat shield off and wrapped one side of it with heat tape, then re installed it. I live in Arizona and never had an issue with the starter in 5 years.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote