Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-18-2016, 05:33 AM   #15
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Twas an honest question ButtHurt. I do not understand what importance is afforded to how a particular tire looks on the back of a vehicle.

Your tire choice is, by far, the single most important factor in vehicle safety, grip, feedback, and handling. There is no single part or modification that can be made to a car that has as much effect on the performance of that car as the tire.

So why does anyone care what it looks like? Do some consider this factor into their purchasing decisions? Why and to what lengths? If a particular tire looks "way better" than another tire but doesn't offer as much grip or feedback, does one still choose the better looking tire?

And you bought a track car. Maybe for the wrong reasons, but that's what you bought. Did you expect the forum dedicated to that track car to be filled with nothing but 19 year-old twits who don't give a shit about handling and only care to report on the awesome "killz" they had last night while drag racing on a public highway? I mean, lord knows we do have some of those half-wits, but there are quite a few adults here as well who came for the "track" aspect of the "track car".
I really don't understand why you care if someone else cares what a tire looks like. If you dont care, good for you. You talk like you are superior... assuming I bought a track car for the wrong reasons... because I wanted to see a pic of the guys tires??? STFU...you don't know me, so don't judge or assume anything.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #16
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leWorksforMe View Post
Well, I disagree on the looks part.

If you have two tires that perform neck and neck why not choose the one with the more aggressive tread pattern or perhaps it doesn't bulge/not bulge as much? These things matter when the tires are close in performance.

In the end I went with what worked before but that didn't mean the hankook rs3's didn't have my attention as well.......
There are no two tires out there that "perform neck and neck". They all have wildly different handling characteristics, grip levels, feedback, cold-temp performance, and cost. Thus my questions.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
1leWorksforMe

Drives: 1le
Quote:
There are no two tires out there that "perform neck and neck". They all have wildly different handling characteristics, grip levels, feedback, cold-temp performance, and cost. Thus my questions.
Have you tried the rs3's?
1leWorksforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #18
Billy10mm

Quote:
Have you tried the rs3's?
No, why?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #19
1leWorksforMe

Quote:
No, why?
I've heard many guys says they are just as good if not better than the goodyears so they were definitely a contender. Pricey though and since I loved my good years I stayed status quo.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #20
Coy

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE BVM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxScottxXN View Post
Lol...I agree. Some of the guys that have 1lE...turned into instant "know it all's". Tire and handling guru's! And what they have on THEIR car for mods....is what you better get on yours...or else you're dirt!!
This. All of this.

Everytime I read that garbage I laugh. Congrats on your first "fast" car. Now tell me how I've been doing it wrong for 20+ years of driving and owning performance cars.
Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #21
Billy10mm

Quote:
I've heard many guys says they are just as good if not better than the goodyears so they were definitely a contender. Pricey though and since I loved my good years I stayed status quo.
I've spoken with quite a few guys who run that tire, but have never tried it. What I can gather about it is that it's been given an optimistic 200 UTG rating to meet SCCA minimum UTG rules for many classes, but in reality it's the same compound as the V1 version of the same tire that had a 160 UTG I believe.

Personally, I will be sticking with the F1s. 10K miles out of a set is already pissing off the wife and the three guys I know that have run the RS3 got 3K to 6K out of them on lighter cars than my 1LE (though to be fair there were many autocrosses and track days in there).

"better than goodyears" is a tough call. I would expect them to have better overall grip and possibly better feedback (though the F1 is wonderful in this regard, especially over Pilot Super Sports which are often praised for feedback), but their price and wear turn me off.

If for some reason I had to move off the F1 (out of stock or something), I would turn to the Potenza RE71R. I've had multiple Bridgestones on previous track cars and they've never disappointed me.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #22
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxScottxXN View Post
Lol...I agree. Some of the guys that have 1lE...turned into instant "know it all's". Tire and handling guru's! And what they have on THEIR car for mods....is what you better get on yours...or else you're dirt!!
Clearly directed at me, so let's respond. No "instant know it all" here, just a season'd track veteran. Did my first Skip Barber driving school after working three summers at the age of 17 and saving up to go.

Couldn't afford a good car, so got my first sport bike at 19. Read Twist of the Wrist and TotW II shortly thereafter and decided to go to the track. Did a few dozen track days before getting a car and turning it into a dedicated track car. Drove that at the track for a few years before realizing the track was bankrupting me.

Bikes were always my main transportation, to the tune of 25K miles per year (I put 105K miles on a CBR-929). That's 3 to 4 sets of tires a year. Experimented a lot. Came to appreciate how much tires affect performance and feedback.

Still love tires, still love handling. Don't care much about horsepower. Definitely don't give a shit what a tire looks like. The 1LE is a track car. Not a strip car. Not a cruiser. A track car. If you came to this forum expecting to be greeted by nitwits who brag about their killz, you came to the right place, but unfortunately for you, there's a few like me who still linger. Deal with it. Better yet, learn to actually use your track car. The you don't have to call other people the tire and handling gurus.

And I must admit, I love your defense. If you sound like a moron, and get called out on it, then those people are "know it alls". It's like being illiterate and making fun of the smart kid for knowing how to read.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #23
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
This. All of this.

Everytime I read that garbage I laugh. Congrats on your first "fast" car. Now tell me how I've been doing it wrong for 20+ years of driving and owning performance cars.
Sure, tell me more about how you've been doing it and I can tell you if you're doing anything wrong. If for instance, random example here, you needed to see how a tire looked before you could consider purchasing that tire, then you're doing it wrong.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #24
1leWorksforMe

Quote:
I've spoken with quite a few guys who run that tire, but have never tried it. What I can gather about it is that it's been given an optimistic 200 UTG rating to meet SCCA minimum UTG rules for many classes, but in reality it's the same compound as the V1 version of the same tire that had a 160 UTG I believe.

Personally, I will be sticking with the F1s. 10K miles out of a set is already pissing off the wife and the three guys I know that have run the RS3 got 3K to 6K out of them on lighter cars than my 1LE (though to be fair there were many autocrosses and track days in there).
Yup, this is what I read too so my tire expense would go up from $1200 to $2400 a year, nope nope nope.

Quote:
"better than goodyears" is a tough call. I would expect them to have better overall grip and possibly better feedback (though the F1 is wonderful in this regard, especially over Pilot Super Sports which are often praised for feedback), but their price and wear turn me off.
Agreed.

Quote:
If for some reason I had to move off the F1 (out of stock or something), I would turn to the Potenza RE71R. I've had multiple Bridgestones on previous track cars and they've never disappointed me.
I had these tires on my Z and loved them.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #25
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:

What track are you running at?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #26
Coy

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE BVM
Quote:
Sure, tell me more about how you've been doing it and I can tell you if you're doing anything wrong. If for instance, random example here, you needed to see how a tire looked before you could consider purchasing that tire, then you're doing it wrong.
Wasn't directed at you, and don't care what a tire looks like, as my car still wears OEM tires.

Also I don't need any advice from Internet experts.

Thanks!

Edit:
Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #27
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Drives: 2013 1LE
Tell me more how the 1LE is not a strip car

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #28
Gary24

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
F1 Goodyears are great looking tires. It's why I bought the car. Looks. But I would consider other tires depending how good they look.
Gary24 is offline   Reply With Quote