Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #155
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I sincerely hope there won't any 5th-gen dogging as time progresses towards this new generation...I see absolutely no need for it....

Improvement on an already great car (that would be the 5th gen) is possible, you know!........
I agree, however....I don't think 5th gen owners should be dogging older gens of Camaros either.

Ya see what I'm sayin?
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #156
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I agree, however....I don't think 5th gen owners should be dogging older gens of Camaros either.

Ya see what I'm sayin?
I do!! But I've never believed in the "Well they're doing it!!" excuse...my middle schoolers use it all too often. I tell them they need to worry about themselves...

Did somebody start bashing the previous gens in this thread?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #157
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Seriously? Ever taken your car to the track?!? 2 engines and 2 transmissions put me into a Vette. The current car is too fat for it's weak drivetrain.
Seriously, been to the track (the kind with curves) and the SS was awesome and it kept up with anything on the track with me. And I am not the best driver. My car isn't stock, with a few well placed mods the stout 5th gen chassis shines. Even stock this is a good handling car. Can improvemnts be made? Sure, as with any car built to a price.

I also go to the drags often but have not raced my car yet. Even though the Mustang Coyote is faster in the right hands I see 5th gen Camaros coming out on top about half the time. So even with the extra 200 pounds it is usually a drivers race GT versus SS.

So who wouldn't agree a lighter car is better? But the extra weight does not ruin the car. One nice benefit is the perfect crash test score.

I wonder though if the 6th gen really will wind up being 200 pounds lighter. I for one doubt it. If so it may wind up being more expensive,

I do agree the axles should be stronger. GM needs to up their game in that area.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #158
Huggerorange73
Banned

Here ya go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Just hope it doesn't look like the butt ugly 90's Camaro. Huuuuula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Could be worse. It could look like that butt ugly '69 Camaro you see people swooning over. Old inefficent POS cars belong in the smelter. If you think I'm being serious, get the stick out of your ass. M'kay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
The 5th gen looks good, but it is not hard to top. They never topped any of the previous generations with other gens, they just changed the styling to look more modern.

Excluding the 4th gen anyway, that was a huge step down from the car before it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Not quite.. biggest step in the wrong direction was 1969 and 1970. They had something in the 69 chassis, but the 1970 turn on it's head just doesn't scream Camaro. The Trans Am ran far and away with the 2nd gen.

1st and 3rd gen really do. What we need to see is the same radical change that came with the 3rd gen. The chassis design, the new body molding techniques found in that rear hatch glass. The emphasis on streamlining as seen with the raked windshield (which was nutso for the time).

4th gen, just a RWD sport coupe. The Trans Am ran with that generation easily.

Just need to look back at what made the 1969 and 1982 Camaros great game changers. Moreso the 1982.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
First, if you had a Gen5 would get it.
Second, I've had a couple of Gen1s and other than the gauges, gills and angle of the front grill; the Gen5 is on it's own.
Third, don't ever worry about the Gen6 taking clues from the Gen4.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #159
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Seriously, been to the track (the kind with curves) and the SS was awesome and it kept up with anything on the track with me. And I am not the best driver. My car isn't stock, with a few well placed mods the stout 5th gen chassis shines. Even stock this is a good handling car. Can improvemnts be made? Sure, as with any car built to a price.

I also go to the drags often but have not raced my car yet. Even though the Mustang Coyote is faster in the right hands I see 5th gen Camaros coming out on top about half the time. So even with the extra 200 pounds it is usually a drivers race GT versus SS.

So who wouldn't agree a lighter car is better? But the extra weight does not ruin the car. One nice benefit is the perfect crash test score.

I wonder though if the 6th gen really will wind up being 200 pounds lighter. I for one doubt it. If so it may wind up being more expensive,

I do agree the axles should be stronger. GM needs to up their game in that area.
It's decent on the curvy track after a few suspension mods, bone stock it pushes like mad.

At the strip is another story, if got a M6 car get ready for some drivetrain carnage. I'm pretty confident all those issues will be solved with the current ZL1 drivetrain though...but it comes with a weight penalty.

GM made a beautiful car with this 5th gen.....no doubt. And they are selling a boat load of them, which is great news for the nameplate. The problem is, this car was built for the masses, not the enthusiast. By shedding weight in the next gen, hopefully GM will sastify both the masses and the enthusiasts...time will tell.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #160
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
The only Camaros I like are the 67-73 and the 5th gen. Most cars from the 80s were

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #161
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post

I don't even have a comment for those statements..
Does that mean you agree? Just kidding. But name a better Camaro. Fourth gens? Not in my opinion. I had three of them. The 5th gen is a modern car that is quite fast, handles well at the track, and is very comfortable to drive.

And I never had a car before where so many people come up to me and tell me how cool my car is. It's almost embarrassing.

If all you want to do is go fast in the quarter then the 5th gen is not the car to buy. Get yourself a Fox body mustang.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #162
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Does that mean you agree? Just kidding. But name a better Camaro. Fourth gens? Not in my opinion. I had three of them. The 5th gen is a modern car that is quite fast, handles well at the track, and is very comfortable to drive.

And I never had a car before where so many people come up to me and tell me how cool my car is. It's almost embarrassing.

If all you want to do is go fast in the quarter then the 5th gen is not the car to buy. Get yourself a Fox body mustang.
He's a local guy...he's watched myself and others grenade 5th gens on a regular basis.

Here's my take....I have owned 7 Camaros...2 second gens, 2 third gens, 2 4thgens and a 5th gen. You're spot on in all aspects...this is hands down the best built, most comfortable Camaro ever produced. It does everything good, but nothing exceptional.

It's a cool car for the masses.....if you're looking to go fast on a road course or drag strip, you had better start looking elsewhere.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #163
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Here ya go:
Hmmm....:(

Quote:
The problem is, this car was built for the masses, not the enthusiast.
I'm not sure I can agree with this point. I think this car is the perfect balance...They chose form over function on many areas to please the masses. Yet by doing so, they never lost the spirit of the enthusiast in using the LS3, 4-corner brembos, or IRS, etc, etc...Every time I stop to think of what they had to overcome in the design of it to achieve these performance levels - I am floored.

And outside of a few unfortunate incidents like yours (to be expected in a car that people actually drive)...the car is remarkably durable and easy-to-modify. Astounding!

I look forward to seeing them magnify this "perfect" formula on an architecture better suited to the task than even the impressive Zeta platform is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
The only Camaros I like are the 67-73 and the 5th gen. Most cars from the 80s were
I'm going to try and get everyone to kick the habit of bad-mouthing past Camaros...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #164
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Ooooooo where did you hear about the time? Link?
Here is the link...with several interesting bits on the ATS

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows..._cadillac_ats/

Quote:

I wonder though if the 6th gen really will wind up being 200 pounds lighter. I for one doubt it. If so it may wind up being more expensive
If the info in the above article and the quote from an actual GM engineer is true, then I don't see why it can't be at least a few hundred lbs lighter. No reason it should be any more expensive because its lighter. Not like they are using lightweight expensive materials...just a new platform to start on.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #165
Fraxum

Quote:
It's decent on the curvy track after a few suspension mods, bone stock it pushes like mad.

At the strip is another story, if got a M6 car get ready for some drivetrain carnage. I'm pretty confident all those issues will be solved with the current ZL1 drivetrain though...but it comes with a weight penalty.

GM made a beautiful car with this 5th gen.....no doubt. And they are selling a boat load of them, which is great news for the nameplate. The problem is, this car was built for the masses, not the enthusiast. By shedding weight in the next gen, hopefully GM will sastify both the masses and the enthusiasts...time will tell.
I consider myself an enthusiast. My last car was a 335i BMW. My SS is every bit as competent in every enthusiast area. But the gas milage is not as good.

I was worried about the weight before I bought the car. But with my mods now I do not notice. It is very easy to cure the understeer by simply adding stronger sway bars. And although I have not done this yet, upgrading to smaller and lighter wheels makes the steering and handling much more responsive. So a good part of that ponderous feeling is from the SUV like wheels and tires. Easily, but not cheaply, fixed.

All cars except for very few are built for the masses. Exceptions like the Z06 and Boss Mustang are few and far between. Hopefully we will see a new Z28 even before the 6th gen.

But back to the 6th gen discussion. I just wonder. Once you add the V8, stronger drive train, bigger brakes, etc. I do not think the Camaro will wind being 200 pounds lighter than the current car. I hope I am wrong. Even so the 6th gen will have to be a very special car to make me sell my 5th gen.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #166
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
this thread is full of lolz
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #167
Fraxum

Quote:
He's a local guy...he's watched myself and others grenade 5th gens on a regular basis.

Here's my take....I have owned 7 Camaros...2 second gens, 2 third gens, 2 4thgens and a 5th gen. You're spot on in all aspects...this is hands down the best built, most comfortable Camaro ever produced. It does everything good, but nothing exceptional.

It's a cool car for the masses.....if you're looking to go fast on a road course or drag strip, you had better start looking elsewhere.
Yes i agree the 5th gen is breakable. Weight aggravates things but there is some under-engineering here on the drive train. 4th gens are even worse. We can only hope the 6th gen is better.

We will have to disagree about the handling. Stock there is too much understeer. But this is easily curable. And slow in the 1/4? There are cam and bolton cars running in the 10s at stock weight with no power adders. Seems fast to me.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #168
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm going to try and get everyone to kick the habit of bad-mouthing past Camaros...
Not just Camaros, I would say IMO about 95% of the cars from the late 70s to early 90s were hideous looking when I look back on them now.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation