Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Bizlipkick

Drives: 45th Ann. 2ss
New Owner to 2017 2SS, First Dealership Trip

Hey guys, picked up a 2017 2ss with 2k miles on it (traded in a 2017 performance+pp pack Mustang if anyone has any questions that haven't been answered already). The price was right, it had new rear tires at 3k miles which tells me the last owner had fun with it, but I had a 2013 and 2015 1LE previously, I am not too scared as Chevy has been good to me. Anyhoo, AC was not super strong when I got it and the fuse was pulled for the NPP exhaust, and the motor was loud (I know, DI, but I wanted it documented on paper) so I took it in to the dealer (same service manager who has been great to me before). He said I had a knock code from the fuse being pulled? they replaced the fuse, AC is working, engine is still loud. Is this pretty common to throw a knock code when that fuse is pulled? I didn't have a check engine light, I asked him to check for tunes or any ECU mods and he said it came back stock, etc. Ill post a video of my motor running in a sec, thanks

edit... added video

Last edited by Bizlipkick; 03-25-2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added Video
Bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
That's interesting. Probably a coincidence. Do you know if they did anything else, like disconnect the battery for a while? I Doubt GM tied those system together in any way.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Bizlipkick

No clue. Sounded funny to me, every car I have had that threw a knock sensor tripped the engine light
Old 03-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
IMO There has to be more to this story. I'm not saying you are leaving something out, but maybe the service department did. A lot of the advisors Don't actually know much about cars, I have had more than a few bizarre conversations over the years, just recently a parts guy told me I need a paint shop for the red letter paint coming off the fuel rail cover . A service advisor told me they do a DI cleaning of the valves by putting the chemical through the injector(there are no injectors that spray on the valves in the car he recommended it for. :lol )

And you say the engine is loud, did you test drive other 6th gens?

If you think it's the exhaust, go into settings and engine sound management. it may be on track mode, which keeps the valves open most if not all of the time).
Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Bizlipkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
IMO There has to be more to this story. I'm not saying you are leaving something out, but maybe the service department did. A lot of the advisors Don't actually know much about cars, I have had more than a few bizarre conversations over the years, just recently a parts guy told me I need a paint shop for the red letter paint coming off the fuel rail cover . A service advisor told me they do a DI cleaning of the valves by putting the chemical through the injector(there are no injectors that spray on the valves in the car he recommended it for. :lol )

And you say the engine is loud, did you test drive other 6th gens?

If you think it's the exhaust, go into settings and engine sound management. it may be on track mode, which keeps the valves open most if not all of the time).
So I believe personally the guy I spoke with did not know a ton. I got a call saying "Hey, some wiring is messed up, the fuse is gone from the exhaust, etc." I am not sure if it was the tech not clarifying what was going on, etc. And yes, my father in law has a 2016 2ss which I have drove quite a bit, the DI tick sounds about the same.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
Bizlipkick

https://youtu.be/-8OyFmV2TMk

Don't mind me talking, I was sending this video to my best friend.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Silver2ssA8

Drives: 2017 Silver SS
Is it always like that? Mine does that on cold start for a minute then is quiet
Silver2ssA8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Bizlipkick

It quits down a little bit but usually sounds kinda like that.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2ssA8 View Post
Is it always like that? Mine does that on cold start for a minute then is quiet
Same here have a 2016 2SS
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
Bizlipkick

My wife just took the car to the store, I heard the cold start valve chatter , that wasn't what was in my video , but my last 3 cars had the same cold chatter