Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
How cars are shipped

Was Googling, and found this little gem.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18283

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
When the cars finally start moving, most of them will move by rail. They will be transported to a railroad distribution center, where they will be offloaded and parked, and then be parked, awaiting over-the-road hauling.
These rail distribution centers are all over Canada and the U.S.
I've compiled the web addresses of the railroads and their distribution centers:

CSX Transportation (formerly Conrail):
http://www.csx.com/?fuseaction=customers.tdsi_gis

CPR (Canadian Pacific Railroad):
http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Custo...ve/default.htm

UP (Union Pacific):
http://www.uprr.com/customers/autos/at_net.shtml

NS (Norfolk & Southern):
http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nsco...ve/Facilities/

BNSF Railway:
http://www.bnsf.com/prospective/cpcustomer_auto.html

CNR (Canadian National Railway):
http://www.cn.ca/en/shipping-map-wor...e-autoport.htm

KCS (Kansas City Southern Railway):
http://www.kcsouthern.com/SiteCollec...system_map.pdf

A&S (Alton & Southern; switching railroad company in St. Louis)
http://www.altonsouthern.com/index.shtml

When your car is finally loaded onto a train car (called AutoRack), a railcar number will be assigned. Your dealer can call the Dealer Business Center and get the actual railroad company and the railcar number. The DBC can also provide the railyard that will receive your car. Once you have those pieces of info, you will be able to track your car as it moves thru the country.
All of the railroads listed have a tracking system in place. An online one for customers and a phone-in one for everybody else. The phone numbers are in the links I provided. You can call them up, give them your railcar number, and they can tell you where your car is and what the ETA is.
Once the vehicle reaches the railyard, it will be unloaded and "bayed", awaiting over-the-road transport. The phone numbers to the distribution centers are in those links as well.
AND, the over-the-road haulers that serve the particular distribution center you're looking at are listed as well. You can take the name of the hauler listed, Google them, and come up with a phone number if you desire.

There is lots more interesting info in those links as well. I encourage you to check them out.

There is nothing illegal, immoral, or improper about any of this. This is all public knowledge and is listed on their websites. Don't let anyone tell you different.

And here's a nice little piece about how cars are shipped:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-t....htm/printable

Because it doesn't seem that anyone has gotten their Camaro yet, it would be interesting to see if any of the cars have made it to the distribution centers yet. I have to imagine that you'd have a better chance of seeing them the closer you get to the plant, as it hasn't been very long since they began production.
So if a distribution center is near you, drive by, take a look. These centers abutt public roads & streets, so there is nothing illegal about driving by & taking a look. I wouldn't drive onto their property however. They might get mad.

And it would be nice if a mod would sticky this. It has great tracking info that new owners will find very useful.
I concur with the OP - perhaps we could sticky this?
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
mr965

Drives: ///M3
This is great. It'll be nice to track the car so we can know if the dealer is doing anything shady and driving our cars and adding miles on it. I'm having trust issues with my dealer :(
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
00 Trans Ram

FYI - on 2/14, my car's status was changed to:

4200 - Shipped

Curious about the shipping process, I found the information in the original post. I called my dealership (Best Chevrolet in New Orleans - very helpful, BTW!), to see when they expected delivery. They stated that they were scheduled to begin making interest payments (a rough estimate of delivery) on, Friday 2/24. But, they also had a railcar number and told me that it was being shipped via Canadian National railway.

I called Canadian National this morning (888-888-5909), was transferred to a "sales broker" and they were able to provide me with the following information:

- On 2/20, the car was received from a gateway in Illinois. Evidently, it took almost a week to get it from Lansing to Illinois.
- It is going to the Port Allen, LA distribution facility where it will arrive on Sunday, 2/26, at 7am.
- From there, it will be transferred to a Union Pacific transport bound for New Orleans.

So, you can indeed use the above information to track your car!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
BOWTIEBOB
BOWTIEBOB

Drives: 13&17 ZL1,13 427,11 SS,15 Z06,19ZR1
Track with ONSTAR

I learned on the covetteforum.com when waiting for my C7 Z06, if you have the VIN# you can activated the vehicle Onstar and track it geographically with an app on your smartphone. I never did because mine was delivered 7 days after the production date. Give it a try.
BOWTIEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Another thing about rail transport: once you get the car , take it home and do an iron decon to the paint. Dealers do not do this when they prep the car for you. A Good one is IRON -X, you spray it mix it in with the wash, and just wash the car with it, very simple.. It'll save the embedded rail dust from giving you little brown flecks in the paint, in about a year to two, sometimes a lot earlier. Especially on the light cars like white or silver.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
We got some clarification recently. If your dealer is less than 600 miles from the plant, it will ship direct via a truck and not ride the rails.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
00 Trans Ram

Quick update. It's a LOT of work to do it this way. Lots of calls to make and red tape to go through. Then, you have to call at least 2 companies (rail and truck transport) to get the info.

If you are OK with not knowing the exact date of delivery, but would like to know exactly where the car is, just have your dealer activate the OnStar. They may be hesitant at first, because you technically haven't "bought" the car yet. But, if you can convince them to do it, you can see exactly where the car is by using the MyChevrolet app on your phone (in the Navigation section).

Depending on your location, you should be able to get a few hours notice of when it will arrive, as you will see it begin to move away from the rail distribution center on a road.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
I ship myself over BNSF and UP on a daily basis.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Just call onstar to know how to activate and track my car from Lansing to dealer.
They told me the only way is to press the blue button in the car...
?????
Helpful
I have to know what is the process to explain it to my car dealer....
Is there a topic or something about the way to activate onstar from the car dealer without being in the car?
Thank you for your cooperation
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
Shadow77

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
Just call onstar to know how to activate and track my car from Lansing to dealer.
They told me the only way is to press the blue button in the car...
?????
Helpful
I have to know what is the process to explain it to my car dealer....
Is there a topic or something about the way to activate onstar from the car dealer without being in the car?
Thank you for your cooperation
My dealer had already done it for others. He activated it in less than 5 min. It sent me an email with a link to follow. I set it up, downloaded the my chevy app and done. The only downside was that OnStar stopped responding after two days due to the car not being started for a few days.
Shadow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #11
Shadow77

Exclamation

This is the current number for Union Pacific, 800-877-5123.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
Biscuit.fr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow77 View Post
My dealer had already done it for others. He activated it in less than 5 min. It sent me an email with a link to follow. I set it up, downloaded the my chevy app and done. The only downside was that OnStar stopped responding after two days due to the car not being started for a few days.
Nice
My dealer doesn't know how to do it
And doesn't want to do it!

Can you help me and ask your dealer to do it for me?
Thank you
I will appreciate to set onstar, to check the numbers (accélération, mph...)
Just in case....

Go PM if you are ok
Old 04-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
Shadow77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
Nice
My dealer doesn't know how to do it
And doesn't want to do it!

Can you help me and ask your dealer to do it for me?
Thank you
I will appreciate to set onstar, to check the numbers (accélération, mph...)
Just in case....

Go PM if you are ok
I called and asked, he said that he can only see their vehicles, not other dealer's. He did say though that it is very simple to activate. Someone at your dealer should know how to. But like you said, may not really want to. It doesn't hurt anything to turn it on early.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
Biscuit.fr

Thank you
I'll try with him again....